The Fact Checking Thread!!!

On yesterday’s Rewind-A-Raw (3/1/21), John and Wai were curious where Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi happened. They thought the Manhattan Center, then the New Yorker Hotel, with John thinking they had to relocate there.

Joe vs. Kobashi indeed happened at the New Yorker Hotel. It was October 2005, and so far that was ROH’s main home in Manhattan, after running there in May and July (and once at a place called The Supper Club in June, during the weekend of the first One Night Stand). They didn’t get to the Manhattan Center until September 2006 for Glory By Honor V: Night 2 (cue John’s Gabe impression).

3 Likes

On the Night one WrestleMania podcast John questioned why Steve Austin would do a promo for WrestleMania 38 since he’s so far removed from the current roster and compared it if Bruno Sammartino did a promo for WrestleMania 14 back in 1998. What John forgot was the classic promo for WrestleMania 14 that Freddie Blassie did with other Hall of Famers for that show and how well it was received

4 Likes

*WrestleMania 15, you fact-checker.

My point remains, Blassie and the legends were not your pitchmen for the promotional material to sell the show. They were used for an opening video package for nostalgia. The entire focus of that video what the message from the legends that “our time was then” and focusing on the stars of today that the legends now watch - tonally very different.

It’s not that I disagree, if Austin is there, use him. But is does underscore that when they need to do a big number on TV, or center its marketing around something big, the more valuable option is a star that has not wrestled in 18 years.

5 Likes

I had conflicting sources on the 14 vs 15. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

During the April 16th edition of Rewind-A-Smackdown, John notes the use of the term “Quisling” on the show. Wai asks what that means, and John’s not sure.

A Quisling is an individual that collaborates with an occupying enemy force. It is derived from a Norwegian named Vidkun Quisling, who did just that with the Nazis when they occupied Norway during World War II.

2 Likes

RE: Summer of Love

I don’t know what Jericho is reading or who is arguing that the Summer of Love could refer to 1969, but they’re wrong.

Sources:

1 Like

On the May 21 edition of RASD John states that this current Maple Leafs-Canadiens playoff series is their first against each other since 1993.

It is in fact their first series against one another since 1979. They nearly played in the finals in 1993, but the Leafs lost in the Campbell Conference finals to Wayne Gretzky’s LA Kings after a blatant missed call by Kerry Fraser and the Leafs were TOTALLY SCREWED AND NO IM NOT STILL BITTER ABOUT IT IM FINE

2 Likes

Fucking Kerry Fraser.

1 Like

Not to be that guy but today is Wednesday not Thursday. In the news update on the site and the podcast regarding the releases of talent it was said WWE announced on Thursday morning. Unless I’m wrong.

I genuinely believed today was Thursday. Sorry.

5 Likes

Two quick ones from today.

Rewind-A-Raw: ROH Best in the World on Sunday will be in Baltimore, not Philadelphia.

Ask-A-Wai: The WWE credit card is not in partnership with Capital One, but with Credit One. Likely a common mistake given their similar names and logos.

From the 7/7 Rewind-A-Dynamite, The Blade & The Bunny vs. Orange Cassidy was not the first mixed tag team match on Dynamite. It was Shaquille O’Neal & Jade Cargill vs. Cody Rhodes & Red Velvet in March. AEW made this same mistake themselves in promoting the match last week, but the announcers made the correction on the show right before the match.

2 Likes

Correction for @wai0937, the sport is called FOOTBALL. Never utter the S word. :grin:

:soccer:

1 Like

7/12 Rewind-A-Raw: In running down the ROH PPV, John said it was Matt Sydal wrestling EC3 on the card and spitting in his face at the end, to which I immediately said NO NO NO NO NO to my phone playing the podcast. It was Flip Gordon wrestling with/spitting at EC3. Sydal is firmly with AEW and hasn’t been in ROH since the Pure Title tournament.

Kicking off the 7/16/21 edition of Rewind-A-Smackdown, John recounts his recent trip to Canada’s Wonderland, calling it Canada’s amusement park. Wai doubles down, saying that Canada won’t ever have its own Disneyland or Six Flags, and so Canadians make due with Canada’s Wonderland.

Both hosts demonstrate the type of insular perspective that causes all other Canadians outside the GTA to despise Toronto.

Naturally, Canada has other amusement parks. Perhaps most notable among them is La Ronde in Montreal. Six Flags: La Ronde, as it is currently known, opened in 1967 (in conjunction with Expo 67), over a decade before Canada’s Wonderland.

4 Likes

On their review of The Exoricst Braden first says the movie was filmed in Washington DC, but then thinks it’s set in Washington State, and then somehow convinces himself that this movie he’s seen multiple times is set in Seattle.
The Exorcist is set in Washington DC and that is where many of the exterior scenes were shot.

Also, Davie claims Bryan Danielson is billed from Seattle. He’s from Aberdeen, WA.

1 Like

On the November 15th edition of ‘Review-A-Raw’, POST poster, ‘cbnorthside’ definition of "Dou Drop" to which John and Wai pondered for a second the actual definition, before moving on.

Now before I begin, I will give the definition of the actual spelling, “dewdrop” and the WWE’s “Doudrop”

Merriam-Webster’s definition of “Dewdrop” is

a drop of dew!

Urban Dictionary’s top definition of “Doudrop” was initially "a woman who is romantically attracted to other women", but it now changed to

Piper Niven
Piper Niven was renamed Doudrop because Vince can’t think of a good fucking name.

This is for the January 15th edition of “Rewind A SmackDown!”

Trish Stratus Vs Nidia - Raw: July 5th, 2004 - 4 Seconds

The distinguishment for being the shortest women’s match in WWE history belongs to Trish Stratus and Nidia, who’s classic affair went on for a total of 4 seconds.

Nidia had just won a triple threat match that awarded her the opportunity to challenge Trish Stratus whenever she was ready to compete because she had an injured wrist at the time. This was followed by Stratus coming down to the ring to congratulate Nidia, and then knocking her out with her cast. Then, Stratus used the stipulation to her advantage, saying she was ready for the match. The referee rang the bell and Stratus pinned her and won.
~ thesportster.com

https://youtu.be/JgvjOWNuYMc (@ 3:00 mark)

2 Likes

During the September 28th edition of Rewind-A-Dynamite, John and Wai are discussing Aaron Judge’s incredible home run chase, and how his totals compare to other legendary sluggers. John mentions that Barry Bonds hit 70 home runs in one season.

Bonds hit 73 home runs in 2001, setting the single-season Major League Baseball record that stands to this day.

1 Like

What the hell I thought Barry Bonds was from the 1940s or something!