The Last Dance

And the Bulls are still “rebuilding.”

Who was that pre Jordan fella that was mentioned during the last episode.He looked like a fan that had won a competition to play.

Now with the draft lottery, every player is basically in a “sliding doors” scenario. But even back then, it’s crazy to think how many things had to align for Jordan to even end up in Chicago.

• Chicago was only one win (or Cleveland loss) away in the 1983-84 season from having the fourth pick instead of the third
  • The draft lottery was instituted the following season, and was much more random than it is today
  • How many years would there ever be a consensus #1 pick (Hakeem Olajuwon) that ISN’T Michael Jordan?
  • Indiana had traded the #2 pick to Portland, who already had Clyde Drexler (at the time, not ridiculous to think he’d be as good as Jordan). Indiana likely would’ve taken MJ.
  • Jordan left college a year early before that was a common thing to do

On #3 I can think of Oden and Durant. A much bigger miss than Hakeem. That would have been the Sam Bowie going #1 and Jordan 2

The best part of the whole series for me was my wife’s reaction after seeing 58-year-old choir boy John Stockton and finding out he’s one of the greatest NBA players of all-time.

1 Like

All sports docs will be measured by this

Apparently a film crew followed Kobe around during his last season. I’m sure that they will incorporate that footage, footage during his career, and the story of his tragic passing into a documentary which will be of a similar quality. Outside of that, I can’t see many topics not falling short.

I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but even Dark Side of the Ring is less enjoyable for me now after how high this doc set the bar.

Overall very good and entertaining, but I thought the whole thing had a bit of a “Monday Night Wars” feel to it. Seems like they pretty much had (or at least invited) everybody representing all sides, but at the end of the day, it was MJ’s story and MJ’s side was the undisputed truth. For example, while she is reportedly just fine with not being included, I feel like his ex-wife who was with him from 1985-2006 might have had some decent tales to tell.

Also, I’ve worked in sports a long time. And Michael has so many of the qualities (at least in retrospect) that coaches absolutely hate: he’s selfish, confrontational, cocky and blames everybody else for his problems. I guess you can get away with it when you’re the greatest of all-time.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, and the Bulls are my local team. Michael Jordan comes across as a bit of a grudge holding, arrogant ass. The fact that he is still bitter over the fact the Pistons didn’t shake their hands almost 30 years later is a little much. The person in the doc who comes across as the most likable to me is Rodman. He has a lot of self-destructive qualities but feel like he has a weird charm to him and also has the kindest heart deep down of all the '90s Bulls.

Good doc, but could have been a whole lot better if Jordan wasn’t involved and didnt have final cut.
So much stuff was avoided or glanced over.
The gambling was never investigated.
Poor Jerry Krause never got proper credit and was walked all over by the team and the owner did nothing. He could never defend himself cause he’s no longer with us.
Jordan was a great player no doubt, but he didnt win alone and seemed to be a terrible team mate.
IMO there’s only one GOAT who nobody can say a bad word about and he’s about to win his 7th super bowl.

Lol! I see Brother Irish Dave’s got jokes! :rofl:

But do you know what is the polar-opposite of a joke (even though there are plenty of laughs to be had)? A brand new KOS-Pod talking “TLD” with that man, @JohnPollock! :studio_microphone::fire::100:

1 Like

What a great Documentary, cementing Jordan as one of the all time great sportsman.

Elite, elite mentality to win, but still maintained his sportsmanship.

1 Like

I really wish we could have seen what would have happened if Jordan didn’t miss a year and a half for baseball and if he played a couple more years after 98.

I think Jordan potentially missed out on a few seasons that may not have ended well. Maybe his finals record is 5/8 instead of 6/0. Great what if…

1 Like

I am a Scot, living in Perth (Scotland). I have never watched a full NBA Basketball game apart from the 1992 Olympics. I am 46 years old, so although miles away, and not a fan, I was of course aware of the status Michael Jordan had at the time. I also remember the excitement surrounding the Dream Team at Barcelona.
I have now watched The Last Dance 3 times. I am fascinated by the entire story. The American psyche is completely different from here in the UK, and probably from anywhere in the World. The commitment and dedication to winning, not competing but winning, is incredible. I have nothing but respect for that. In fact, the whole college system with scholarships, inter college, state and national competitions, is a fantastic way to give opportunity to youngsters from all backgrounds. I wish we had that here.
Regarding the drama, we are all made in different ways, so no-one can judge when they haven’t been present. Some of is it quite eye opening and unexpected.
I think in particular, Michael Jordan and Steve Kerr had to go through very difficult times whilst being in the limelight and that deserves huge respect.
Not surprised Thomas wasn’t wanted at Olympics, but he came across well in the documentary. Almost all did, except a couple of journalists who didn’t have an objective opinion, rather an already negative opinion, and this gave them their platform.
Outside of the main protagonists, John Stockton and Magic Johnson, came across very well and I would love to go for a beer with John Salley, he seems like such a cool guy.
All in all, I loved it. I have a new respect for the Bulls in that decade. Would hate to live in MJ’s bubble, so hats off to him. I am now going to watch Basketball and I have added going to an NBA game before I die to my bucket list.

2 Likes

To be fair, Jordan is the extreme side of that mindset even for Americans.

1 Like

They didn’t even mention that when Kerr played Arizona State (I think) after his father’s death the opposing fans chanted PLO or something horrible like that.

Very interesting take on our scholarship system here.

That’s a perspective I’ve kinda forgotten about. I’ve come to dislike it a great deal these days. A lot of the basketball players (other sports too) never end up getting their degree, and the colleges make millions while the “student athletes” don’t see a cent.

I read about this. I have done a bit of research as I have been going along. When something grabs my interest, I research it! I think that was awful!! He’s a tough nut as they say here :slight_smile: I appreciate MJ is an exception, but there is a different mind set. I understand what you are saying about the college system. Maybe having such a large population makes that more difficult? Reading in to what you are saying, am I to understand that if they don’t make the grade they are cast aside?
The funniest part of the series was MJ saying “yeah, I know I just hit the littlest guy on the team.” Steve Kerr is 6ft 3in :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You breed a different kind of athlete!! I am 5ft 11in and am not considered short! I always thought Larry Bird was overrated as he was the great American white superstar of the 60’s, I feel really ignorant now, he was some player. Lambeer needs a slap :slight_smile: I would need a ladder though! I feel for Scottie, that’s another thing. In American sport, your contracts seem to be water tight. In Football, or Soccer I should say :slight_smile: , they are not worth the paper they are written on. Scottie was woefully underpaid, but his reasons are the sigh of a true gentleman. Legend! I presume he got plenty of endorsements though. I have always been a distant, and I use this term loosely, “fan” , of all sports teams San Francisco because my folks went there on their honeymoon. I watched the Aaron Hernandez doc too. Very different of course, but there was still that sense that winning was drilled into their every waking hour. Is complete dedication. Not easy to manage.

I think the scholarship thing varies. Most athletes make next to nothing for their university while getting a free education, it is really only in the big 2 sports (football and Basketball) where you have issues with athletes being undervalued. At the end of the day our “win now.” College system is of dubious value with developing young athletes j to better performers, or life long athletes (this coming from someone who went through the system albeit at a lower level, and not in a top sport.)

Agreed

It’s an outdated system. The NBA could obviously do a much better job getting these guys ready than any college program.

I think the old ways are still holding everyone back.

The g league should be an actual development league.