The Wellness Policy: Questions/Discussion Thread

Hey everyone,

@jordanbeatwell and I are starting this thread to compile a list of questions or conversation points listeners would like to bring up on The Wellness Policy.

We’ll also update this thread with info about upcoming topics, books and other points of interest related to the show.

As always, we also encourage everyone join our #Wellness-Policy channel at postwrestling.com/discord for more interaction with us and fellow listeners.

1 Like

On this Thursday’s show, we’ll be discussing the bestselling book, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*** by Mark Manson.

If you have any thoughts on the topic or questions related to wellness in general, feel free to leave a comment below. If you’re a patron, join us live Thursday April 12th at 3pm ET to chat with us on Zoom.

Summary by the author:

His website has really good weekly emails. And he’s filming a documentary about the book as we speak.

2 Likes

I’ve been checking out his emails + posts for years. First time reading a book of his. Didn’t know about the doc. Thanks for the heads up!

Is this about the WWE policy?

Regardless, I think a big issue overlooked far too often is that of mental health.

See: Hana Kimura.

Suicidal tendencies can occur at any age, and also I wonder if celebrity status is a compounding issue. (See: Robin Williams.)

Over the years I have had a couple of acquaintances/friends who have committed suicide. In both cases I think more could have been done (as far as interventions by family, doctors).

1 Like

Here’s the breakdown of his whole philosophy. https://www.google.com/amp/s/markmanson.net/negative-self-help/amp

This part has been really helpful:
Letting go of the idea of “deserving” is incredibly difficult to do. But once rid of it, it leaves us with a starkly simple view of the world. Inflict no unnecessary pain on others or on yourself. Be pragmatic in all things. Approach problems scientifically and without idealism. Be honest. Be compassionate. Even when it feels impossible.

2 Likes

I read the book several years ago. I agree with most of his tenets. However, I found his writing style off putting. I just couldn’t relate to the life he lead or any of the autobiographical parts of the early part of the book.

The biggest part of the book that helped me was his discussion on death and grieving. At the time I hadn’t experienced a significant death in my life and since I have had to grieve two. The anecdotes and discussion on grieving personally helped. Still not the biggest fan of his style but definitely substance there.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s mentioned that some of his writing from years ago is unnecessarily “edgy” and “contrarian” for the sake of being contrarian.

2 Likes

Patrons, join us at the top of the hour: https://www.patreon.com/posts/50031435/

Thanks to everyone who tuned in yesterday or downloaded the podcast afterwards.

Next month, we’ll be basing our podcast around the topic of Creativity with David Speed, host of the Creative Rebels podcast and an incredible street artist who wrestling fans may recognize from his recent Brodie Lee mural in London.

He suggested the book, The Practice, by marketing and leadership pioneer, Seth Godin. You can also check out Seth’s recent conversation about the book with David on Creative Rebels.

1 Like

:v:guys, a reminder that we go live next Thursday, May 20 at 3pm EDT with a special guest. You probably know David Speed best from his Brodie Lee mural in London. @davidspeeduk on ig

We’ve been reading Seth Godin’s newest book, “The Practice.” Seth’s writing has had a profound impact on my career for over a decade. Seth was also a guest on David’s “Creative Rebels” podcast. This would be a great primer if reading the book isn’t for you.

Hope to see some of you live on Zoom!

https://youtu.be/ivMIURNxloc interview starts at 17:39

3 Likes