Three matches added to AEW's Fight For The Fallen event on 7/15

To quote Brother Pollock’s favorite Avenger, Steve Rogers…“Language”. We can disagree w/o becoming disagreeable. :100:

1 Like

Also you i guess:

Why did my employer give this teenager an apprenticeship? He doesn’t even know the business, yet they’ve giving him a job so he can learn the business!

Wow, i can’t believe JR Smith won Sixth Man of the Year. Couldn’t they have given it to a regular starter instead?

Look, i’m just saying there are far too many babies in this maternity ward. I don’t hate babies, but they cry too much. Can we get some more adults in here instead please?

So I guess he doesn’t like Sonny Kiss. Neither do I. What you’re going to take from that is that we’re homophobic for not liking Sonny Kiss? What!? Don’t like Sonny Kiss’ gimmick the same way I don’t like Joey Ryan’s.

I’ll definitely assume that the majority of those who dislike Kiss - given the very little TV exposure he has had, comes from a place of discomfort and insecurity and homophobia.

Please, prove me otherwise. Especially arguing against him for the match with Cody, with it being an open challenge.

4 Likes

And I keep seeing people saying they don’t like Sonny’s gimmick… What is his gimmick exactly?

The dude is being himself.

1 Like

Replace Sonny Kiss with Darren Young and you wouldn’t see the same comments even though both are gay. Not liking Sonny Kiss has nothing to do with him being into men. You could say we don’t find super flamboyant, camp wrestlers to be entertaining but unless you think “that’s what being gay means” then you can’t say it’s homophobic. And if you do think that’s what being gay means then I’d suggest you’re the one that’s homophobic. Maybe not through hate but through ignorance. “He’s just being himself” doesn’t mean people have to think he’s entertaining.

Either way, it’s a pointless match. I also don’t know why people are saying it’s like Jericho/Cassidy like that’s something to go for. The match was good in a bubble but Cassidy isn’t going to become a serious wrestler after it so all it achieved was Jericho being dragged down.

1 Like

Putting aside the fact that you have made an unfounded assumption and it is a ridiculous request as I can’t possibly prove this, no, as why would I need to prove anything to you?

1 Like

So you only like “gay” wrestlers if they aren’t flamboyant? It is ok if they are actually gay as long as it really plays no part in their lifestyle on TV. I assume that if it is the flamboyance then you hate the new day, Randy savage, and Gold Dust.

As to the match being pointless I assume you felt the same about Cody vs Ricky Starks, Cody Vs Mark Quenn and Janella vs Archer. I didn’t see anyone comment that those matches were pointless. If not why not what is the difference?

I’ve seen very little from Kiss that has been over the top comedy since the first battle Royal. Rather I’ve seen a flamboyant performer with athletic moves.

I’ve seen no similarities between his Gimmick and Joey Ryan’s.

2 Likes

All of this. Thank you for articulating what I attempted in a previous, now deleted post.

3 Likes

I totally agree here. Sonny is exactly the type of talent and persona who could make NEW fans. A guy like Sonny can connect with a demographic that has been mocked and parodied for nearly the entire existence of professional wrestling.

4 Likes

Him being gay is irrelevant. That’s the point. You suggesting that how he acts and him being gay is the same thing is your issue not mine. And yes, Goldust wasn’t my cup of tea either. New Day are an over the top comedy act that’s funny. Too young to have experienced Macho Man but nothing of his gimmick is in the same bracket as Sonny Kiss. The only one you got right as being similar was Goldust but he was supposed to be a freak that was supposed to be seen as a freak. And at times was funny. And he could wrestle. I mentioned Joey Ryan as he’s a ridiculous wrestler that’s difficult to take seriously, and that’s how I see Sonny Kiss. No redeeming qualities as far as entertainment. I’m sure he’s a nice guy but we’re not talking about that.

You guys wanting to guilt people into liking Sonny Kiss is insane. I don’t get him. Why is that an issue? Seems to me like you’re the one’s that are insecure. Everyone has to be seen as being supportive of Sonny Kiss… I’ll treat him with the same standard I treat all wrestlers thanks. If I like them, then I like them. If I don’t, then I won’t pretend. Might not get applause on social media but I’m not enough of an airhead to care about that.

1 Like

I don’t care if you like Sonny Kiss. But you should at least be honest about why you don’t. It isn’t just that he is flamboyant. It is that he is a flamboyant gay wrestler. Macho Man was an over the top flamboyant character, the new day are the same. I would argue the New day is much more similar in character to Sonny other than the homosexuality than Golddust was. The fact that you find Gold Dust to be the closest says all I need to know. Golddust was portrayed as a freak because of his homosexual actions, Sonny doesn’t use those types of actions to make other competitors uncomfortable, instead he just has a flamboyant gay personality while being an athletic wrestler with Lucha style. Honestly I see him much closer to a Big E in his antics than to a Gold dust.

You are free to not like whatever you want, but when people make a point to bring up that the first gay challenger for an open challenge doesn’t deserve the shot it says something.

1 Like

You’re being extremely lazy in your analysis. I’ll say this once again seeing as it isn’t getting through to you, I don’t care about him fucking men. You’re basically suggesting that he’s just “acting gay” so not liking it means people hate gays. That’s a case of you validating stereotypes. The irony of you actually helping homophobia while standing against it. Well done. It’s very Twitter.

If Brian Cage just happened to be gay do you think the reaction to him would be the same as Sonny Kiss? Femininity isn’t even taken seriously when it comes to female wrestlers but we have to be shocked about it when it comes to male wrestlers?

You’re being extremely desperate to paint someone as a bigot which is causing you to look past reality and just think “this is what I’m supposed to say”. I don’t buy into your nonsensically lazy take and I won’t be anytime soon. I’m sure if they make Sonny Kiss the AEW champion in a couple of months you’ll just say “Yeah, that makes sense, about damn time”…

How dare someone not like Sonny Kiss. Give me a break.

1 Like

Again I never said “you hate gay people” or that “all gay people act like that.” I said the thing that you don’t like is “him acting in a gay or effeminate manner.” Which is his personality. You are the one saying that you are fine with wrestlers being gay as long as they have no gay stereotypes in their character. You are the one implying that all wrestlers should be Macho He-man stereo types to deserve any kind of push. Do I think kids should get a title shot anytime soon? No I don’t. The story to that outcome hasn’t been built or told, He isn’t an over character right now and is still a bit green. That is true for Ricky Starks, Mara Quenn, and Jungle Boy right now as well (except Jungle boy is over but he isn’t ready for a title run).

Again I don’t care if you like him. That said if every wrestler was Brian Cage it would be a boring show. Lower mid card talents having outrageous personalities is fine with me and many others so long as they can deliver in the ring. My original point was about people claiming he didn’t deserve the title shot. Which is a dumb argument in this context, and the only reason people point it out is not because of deserving or not, but rather not liking the character.

1 Like

You definitely do care if I like him or not. Let’s not do this internet thing of “Yeah I’m making a few posts about your opinion but I don’t actually care”.

And I’m not saying everyone should be like Brian Cage, I’m saying him being gay wouldn’t hurt how he’s viewed as a serious wrestler. Sonny Kiss not being viewed as a serious wrestler isn’t down to people having a problem with him being gay. It’s wrestling, you’re treated how you’re presented.

Going by how AEW book, Cody will have a back and forth match with Sonny Kiss and then Sonny Kiss will disappear meaning nothing was ultimately gained and Cody loses some credibility. AEW need to do better to develop a hierarchy. Omega already comes across as midcard and they seem desperate to do the same with Jericho. Cody set to follow suit.

1 Like

No I really don’t care that you like him. I care that people said he didn’t deserve the match when nothing was said about others in AEW who are presented at either the same level or not at all prior to the match. You say he hasn’t been presented as a serious wrestler? Why not? I cannot recall a match of his that I watched where I thought he wasn’t trying to win, or was there just for comedy (outside of the first battle royals which was terrible for everyone.). I mean if lower card card guys going 50-50 with Cody was making him feel lesser than it is already too late, the guy has gone

14 mins with Haeger
8.5 with Starks
12 with Quen
10 with Jungle Boy
13 with Janella
21 mins with Spears
12 with Sabien
Gone long with Darby a ton who is quickly becoming less cool.

So I mean if he goes say 8 mins with Kiss is that tarnishing him anymore than the above already would have?

1 Like

People don’t buy into Sonny Kiss as a serious wrestler. You can cry about how that’s unfair but fact is, being super feminine (not about if he’s gay or not) contributes to him not being taken seriously. Female wrestlers aren’t even taken seriously if they’re too feminine. You feigning ignorance over that fact isn’t going to change it from actually being a thing.

And you definitely do care.

Would a good showing with Cody possibly change how you view him? I’ve seen him gave plenty of serious matches, hanging with a variety of talents. I personally am looking forward to this match because I know what his is capable of.

My only comment on the card, is I wish AEW did more character features. They’ve shown the ability to really highlight and feature talent prominently in the past.

I wish I knew who Sonny Kiss was. I shouldn’t have to find out on his social media. The company should present and prepare him for this opportunity. There’s no denying the talent. But, I think AEW has a habit of randomly putting talent on TV and not being consistent. There’s no denying he has earned the opportunity, anyone to suggest otherwise would be ignorant. I just wish the company did him and others more of a favor in actively promoting them.

The main players are all there. Cody, MJF, Adam Page, Inner Circle. Those people get regularly featured. We know their motivations. Even Darby Allin is getting a lot of attention. But, these Cody matches aren’t doing much. Who is Sonny Kiss? Who is Marc Queen? Who is Ricky Starks? And I know they did try a package on Ricky…but there’s been no follow up.

I’d like AEW to begin to build these stars before facing Cody. It shouldn’t be just “wrestler of the week Cody wants to give a rub to.” Let the opponent have tv time prior, rack up some wins, let me in on knowing what drives them. I know that not everyone can be pushed at once, but a 30 second vignette or a few squashes can’t be too labor intensive. None of Cody’s opponents have benefitted from the match because there’s been no follow up. I hope, maybe in giving Sonny this opportunity, we get time to learn who he is and we get to follow him on his journey as a more prominently featured talent going forward.

AEW is sort of falling into the WWE trap of having way too many people on the roster, and only focusing on a handful. Their show on Wednesday is how they need to convey this message. Let’s start seeing some actual follow through. I know they’re early on and it’s clear they write a good television show. But they can do a lot more with a lot more people so I can at least begin to know them and see a steadier rotation. “Challenger of the Week” benefits nobody. I’d like to see the TNT Title follow up for the upcoming challenger/prior challengers be more in-depth. There’s so much opportunity there.

This does extend beyond the TNT title as well. IE Joey Janela, Kip Sabian, Lance Archer, etc etc etc

1 Like

There is definitely logic to this. Just look at the WWE, they do the same thing. When they brought Ronda in they were trying to appeal to the MMA audience, when they pushed the Bella Twins they were hoping to appeal to the E audience. There is nothing wrong with trying to appeal to new fans, its how you grow. The LGBTQ community really doesn’t have much representation in wrestling, so I see this as a good thing.

Also, lets face it, its not like they are putting the world title on Sonny or making Sonny the centerpiece of the promotion, if fans dont like it, fast forward through the match.

I see no issue with Sonny getting the match, worst case scenario we get a bad TV match. Like we dont get enough of those anyways in wrestling now a days.

5 Likes