TNT announces All Elite Wrestling will run weekly "later this year"

Maybe, maybe not. I think it depends on the booking.

If they do Janela vs Omega with a great 3 month build, 40 bucks is cool. If they do Janela vs Omega five times on free TV and do the match on PPV, it way too much.

Yeah, Wrestlemania is 10 bucks, but it stunk.

I feel that the 50$ price tag for a ppv is going to be one of the biggest hurdle for AEW especially if your only option is streaming which it will be in some markets.

It the same think as what the UFC will face with espn+ in the u.s. they’re a generation of fans that just don’t like streaming or just plain don’t know how to hook up those services to their tv set and don’t care to learn so they surely won’t go to seek out a new wrestling company especially if they have to pay 50$ to see the show.

That’s why so many wrestling company have trouble getting a good buyrate on streaming service as far as ppv are concern. New technology is attracting the younger generations and not really the older generations plus those that don’t mind it are so condition to paying under 20$ for content with the wwe network, new japan world and other company related wrestling streaming service that you might not get a lot of fans that are going to be willing to buy a ppv at that price.

The other thing i feel wasn’t clear when they announce the price of the ppv is if the price was in usd and canadian dollar or just u.s. because if it’s both. You guys in the u.s. are getting a raw deal as we are getting it at a cheaper price then you, if it’s in u.s. dollar then we are getting screwed as a 50$ ppv in the u.s equals 68$ in canada and if that’s the case i’m sure as hell not going to pay that much money for a show no matter how great the wrestling is.

Meltzer speculated that because because of the dealing with traditional PPV providers, there may be a no under-cut clause which means FITE TV and Bleecher Report have to charge the same amount.

I guess its a wait and see situation like everything else AEW. Fans are willing to take time off work and pay for plane tickets to attend live events, spend hundreds of dollars at ProWrestling Tees, and don’t blink and eye at spending 30 bucks for an autograph and a selfie.

If nothing else, I think a $50 price tag could lead to a good gauge of where AEW stands in this very early stage.

If the buy rate exceeds expectations with that kind of dollar amount attached to it, that’s a huge win. If the buy rate is lower than expected, maybe it will help to temper some expectations to where they probably should be right now in the first place.

Either way, with weekly TV not coming until at least the fall by all accounts, this show is pretty much just a commercial and a fundraiser for AEW. So unless they take an absolute bath on it (not likely with an expected sellout live crowd), it’s probably already a win from a financial standpoint.

1 Like