Tom Hannifan, formerly Tom Phillips, joins IMPACT Wrestling

Originally published at Tom Hannifan, formerly Tom Phillips, joins IMPACT Wrestling

Tom Hannifan, who worked previously as “Tom Phillips” in WWE, will be the new play-by-play announcer for IMPACT Wrestling beginning tonight.

Renee Paquette broke the news that Hannifan will debut tonight at Hard to Kill and is replacing the outgoing Matt Striker. Hannifan will be appearing on Paquette’s podcast, Oral Sessions this Tuesday for his first interview.

.@ReneePaquette with some huge news!

We can confirm Tom Hannifan has joined IMPACT Wrestling as our newest play by play announcer!

Welcome to IMPACT Wrestling @TomHannifan! https://t.co/IfMn2GHMm3

— IMPACT (@IMPACTWRESTLING) January 8, 2022

As Tom Phillips, he worked for WWE from 2012 until last year when he was released in May.

During his tenure in the company, Hannifan served as a lead commentator on NXT, SmackDown, NXT UK, and Raw among the many programs he worked on.

In April 2021, he was replaced by Adnan Virk as the lead voice on Raw shortly before he was released.

Great hire, looking forward to see how he does without a demented senior citizen shrieking in his ear.

2 Likes

Good for him. I thought he was very underrated in WWE and should have been looked at as their next Michael Cole.

2 Likes

While I couldn’t give a crap about Impact, I’m happy for Phillips. I’ve always liked him, very underrated.

1 Like

Probably the biggest TNA/Impact fan on this forum, and the first thought I had when he was released was that I hoped Impact picked him up, so I’m VERY happy with this. I’m not a fan of Strikers commentary so this is a vast improvement

3 Likes