Toni Storm looks back on decision to leave WWE, says her heart is in AEW

Originally published at Toni Storm looks back on decision to leave WWE, says her heart is in AEW

Storm is grateful for AEW and Tony Khan. 

Dating back to Full Gear 2023, ‘Timeless’ Toni Storm has been reigning as AEW Women’s World Champion. Storm is in the midst of her third run as champion.

The company is returning to Daily’s Place in Jacksonville on April 24th and Storm guest appeared on episode #58 of Going Ringside to promote it. It was an in-character interview, but there was a point in the conversation when she opened up about her decision to depart WWE

Storm is glad she landed in AEW and does not know what she’d be doing if not for the company and Tony Khan. She added that her heart is in AEW. 

Well, before AEW, yes, I was a WWE superstar. Eventually came a time where I thought, I must branch out. Something was calling for me. There was something inside of me that says, Toni, no, your destiny is elsewhere and so I went for it. I don’t know what come over me. It was a blur… (Host brought up quote from Storm when she said backend of her WWE run crushed her love of wrestling for a while) Oh, something like that. I mean, it was all so many things. It was so many things. Looking back, it was a crazy time in my life, you know? I’m still trying to make sense of it, but I’m happy with where I’ve landed. I’m happy with the decision that I made. 

I mean, thank God for AEW honestly, because you know, there was a time where I wasn’t happy where I was and if it weren’t for All Elite Wrestling, Tony Khan, I don’t know what I would have been doing. I’m not sure of the trajectory of my life, where it would have gone, had I not had the option to come to All Elite Wrestling so I’m very thankful for it. My heart is here.

The newest addition to AEW’s women’s division is Mercedes Moné. Storm addressed Moné during the chat:

Ah, yes, Ms. Moné, yes. She’s all about the money, the moné, the money! I’m sat right here. I am arguably money, aren’t I? Talking all this money talk, all this money talk. The money’s right here darling, the money’s right here. I have this (AEW Women’s World Title), I have this (everything else).

Storm’s fourth defense of this current title reign is taking place at the Dynasty pay-per-view on April 21st. She’ll be facing her former tag partner, Thunder Rosa. 

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Going Ringside with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.