Tony Khan wishes Jay Briscoe got to wrestle for AEW: "Lord knows I really tried"

Originally published at Tony Khan wishes Jay Briscoe got to wrestle for AEW: "Lord knows I really tried"

Khan ‘really tried’ to get Jay Briscoe into AEW.

It was a year ago that Ring of Honor Hall of Famer and 13-time ROH World Tag Team Champion Jamin Pugh (Jay Briscoe) passed away

He was honored by his family, friends and colleagues and there was a tribute show held for him on Ring of Honor programming in addition to a tribute match on Dynamite featuring Jay’s brother Mark and Jay Lethal. As AEW President Tony Khan was speaking to Liam Crowley of ComicBook Nation, the topic of an AEW Hall of Fame came up. 

Khan said the first two people that come to mind for that honor are Sting and the late Jon Huber (Brodie Lee). He added Jay Briscoe’s name into the mix and said he always wanted him in AEW. He is glad Briscoe was inducted into the ROH Hall of Fame while he was in here in the physical. 

We have never talked about a Hall of Fame. Sting is one of the most important people in the history of the wrestling business and certainly one of the most important people ever in AEW. I just spoke with Sting yesterday. The three-year run that he had in AEW is so important to us that Sting wrestled for us for three years from Revolution 2021 to Revolution 2024 and had this incredible undefeated run, retired as a World Tag Team Champion. Avenged an attack on his family, stood up for his family and his this amazing moment side by side with Darby Allin, the best tag team partner he’s ever had in Sting’s own words and Sting’s family to be able to celebrate and get some payback on the people that hurt Sting’s family. It was a really special night and it was my greatest night ever in the wrestling business and probably one of the greatest nights of my life… If we ever do an AEW Hall of Fame, certainly the first two people that come to mind I think that we would have to honor would be Sting and Mr. Brodie Lee. Two of the greatest champions and two of the greatest people we’ve ever had in AEW. Very different circumstances but I think those would be the first two people that come to my mind that I think of would be Sting and Mr. Brodie Lee. Somebody that never got to wrestle in AEW that I also feel very strongly about, who needs to be talked about and honored is Jay Briscoe, who I always wanted to bring into AEW and was my friend and was friends with a lot of people in the locker room and is one of the greatest wrestlers I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with and produce and Jay Briscoe is somebody else very important to us even though he never really actually got the chance to wrestle in AEW and I do think Sting and Mr. Brodie Lee would be great people to build any Hall of Fame class around. 

And ROH did put an inaugural Hall of Fame class out and thankfully, The Briscoes were included in that and that was while Jay was still with us. So, I’m glad that he got that honor and I’m sorry, I really wish Jay had gotten to wrestle with us in AEW. Lord knows I really tried. 

The ROH Hall of Fame was established in 2022 and the first and only class consists of Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, CM Punk, The Briscoes (Mark & Jay Briscoe) and Cary Silkin. 

If the quote(s) in this article is used, please credit ComicBook Nation with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcription.