Torrie Wilson announced for the WWE Hall of Fame

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/03/04/torrie-wilson-announced-for-the-wwe-hall-of-fame/

The WWE announced through espnW that Torrie Wilson will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame on Saturday, April 6th at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Wilson was a fitness competitor before getting into professional wrestling, which happened by chance as she attended a WCW event and was recruited on the spot. Wilson was introduced in a series of vignettes where she was speaking to someone behind a camera, revealed to be David Flair and led to the younger Flair turning on his father with Torrie by his side.

Wilson was later paired with The Filthy Animals group, specifically Billy Kidman. In the summer of 2000, she turned on Kidman and joined Shane Douglas for the remainder of her time with WCW that lasted until the end of the year.

She was signed by the World Wrestling Federation the following year and debuted in a segment that was designed to be very significant. Vince McMahon was caught making out with Wilson by wife Linda McMahon and was the angle designed to lead to a storyline divorce. The McMahons have to split their assets and would lead to WCW having its own show. The plans changed and WCW never received its own show.

Wilson was constantly inserted into the segments most associated with the women’s division during this era with frequent bikini contests and other segments designed to showcase women such as Wilson, Sable, Dawn Marie, Stacy Keibler and others in as little clothing possible.

While the SmackDown run of late 2002 is often well-remembered for the “SmackDown Six” and their high caliber of matches, that period also included Torrie’s legitimate father Al Wilson. Al began dating Dawn Marie and led to the two being married on television and Al’s character being killed off during the honeymoon with Marie. This was the backdrop for Wilson’s feud with Dawn Marie, which was way out there, and Al Wilson was so comically awful that he became entertaining.

Wilson and Keibler teamed up against the Miller Lite Catfight Girls at WrestleMania 19 in March 2003, which was basically a pillow fight built around the comedy of Jonathan Coachman being caught between the women. The following year, Wilson teamed with Sable against Stacy Keibler and Jackie Gayda in an Evening Gown match at WrestleMania 20. The match was set up as a promotional device with Wilson and Sable posing together in Playboy to coincide with the event, which was Wilson’s second time posing for the magazine.

Wilson continued with the WWE through 2008 when she was released and had been off the road due to a back injury. She returned for a women’s battle royal at WrestleMania 25 in April 2009 and then participated in the women’s Royal Rumble match in January 2018 along with a battle royal appearance at the Evolution event last October.

In b4 fake outrage

Good for her…liked her in WCW, had some funny angles and had quite a run in WWE.

Not really outraged, just intrigued as this points people towards WWE’s sexually exploitative usage of her and other women in the past which is something that they like to pretend never happened.

I’m guessing they’ll put her in as a big name from the past but won’t show any highlights of her role on shows that made her so popular. If they want to show a bra & panties match, then okay, I won’t complain but it would make them look slightly trashy which they cant complain about either.

She seems like an okay person though, so if it’s something that makes her happy then good for her.

That opens the door for a lot of divas.

This year’s HOF class is looking pretty weak.

The door was already open for half of the diva era. The WWE HOF isn’t exactly an exclusive club.

That said, it obviously matters to people to be inducted so congrats to her. She was certainly in the upper echelon of the divas and had a notable role in WCW too.

Going to be interesting to see how they re-write the history here.

Not the greatest, but good for her, for the longevity of her career.

First, i’m truly happy for her, I meet her at a autograph signing back when she was still working for WWE and she was one of the nicest person i’ve meet as far as wrestling is concern, Honky tonk man was the worst but that’s for another day.

Anyway, i really doubt they will rewrite her history as they really didn’t change the narrative for the other diva’s that were inducted before her if they are going to show how they use trish in the beginning of her career, i don’t see why they wouldn’t show some of the crap torrie did as well.

I’m just happy that Sister Wilson is getting in because maybe now folks can stop erroneously stating that Koko B. Ware is the most nondescript WWE HOFer ever! :rofl::100:

4 Likes

Think about how the average smarky fan (guys “in the business” included) would have talked about King Kong Bundy 24 hours ago vs. the things that they’re saying today. That’s why pretty much anybody who had a run belongs in the Hall of Fame. All of these people impacted somebody’s childhood or career choice or was in somebody’s first match or favorite match or just made some fond memories for someone.

Torrie Wilson is far from the top of that list - and I’m sure WWE will overstate her importance as they typically do. But anybody who had 200+ matches and who knows how many total appearances in WWE/WCW, from Bret Hart to the great “Duke of Dorchester” Pete Doherty and everybody in between, might as well be in the WWE Hall of Fame.

1 Like

She was a big star, totally deserves to go in.

To me she was always just kind of there. I wouldn’t say she was a big star at all. She does feel like the female Koko here.

They will probably totally ignore all the stuff with her “dad” Al Wilson and Dawn Marie. Which was really the only memorable stuff she did.

Yet another joke HoF inductee… like was said Monday, 95% of the video was bikini pictures and walking to the ring… this is why the female wrestlers of today had such a tough time with the ignorant masses who didn’t think of them as wrestlers…

She wasn’t hired as a wrestler. She was a valet, a character on the show.

Guys, its the WWE Hall of Fame. It’s there’s to sell tickets, action figures, t shirts and create content for the network and YouTube (formerly the DVD). Why the “IWC” and smart fans get so upset over the legitimacy of Hall of Fame is beyond me.

For the wrestlers, it’s a fun way to cap off a career and for the fans a fun time to look back. Just enjoy it.

Also I totally forgot about Torrie’s dad. I hope he inducts her if he’s still kicking around. If not, find Dawn Marie.

Getting tired of this. If you’re going to insult people through name calling and post under a fake name then we are going to start enforcing a stricter policy. This message board isn’t going to turn into a cesspool of insults or else we will just shut it down.

2 Likes

If chyna can get in, anybody can get in. Let face it, if creative wasn’t being chyna throughout her career, we would be saying the same thing about her. She wasn’t that great of a wrestler just like torrie and was a sub par promo but the difference is creative was being her compare to torrie.