Two additional title matches expected for the G1 Supercard

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/03/25/two-additional-title-matches-expected-for-the-g1-supercard/

Two additional title matches appear to be set for the G1 Supercard event on Saturday, April 6th at Madison Square Garden.

Following Sunday’s New Japan Cup Final event in Nagaoka, there were several challenges made during the post-match interviews in front of the media.

Kota Ibushi challenged Tetsuya Naito for a match for the Intercontinental title at Madison Square Garden, which Naito later accepted and told New Japan officials to make it official.

Zack Sabre Jr. made his own challenge to Hiroshi Tanahashi and would defend the British heavyweight title at the G1 Supercard.

Additionally, there was an angle with Tomohiro Ishii and EVIL attacking each other in the back to set up a future match. Will Ospreay said he would defend the NEVER Openweight title against Taichi at Wrestling Dontaku in May. When Taichi was interviewed, he teased going to Madison Square Garden to get involved in Ospreay’s match against Jeff Cobb.

Below is the complete card for the show at Madison Square Garden:
*Jay White vs. Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP heavyweight title
*Jay Lethal vs. Marty Scurll vs. Matt Taven in a Ladder match for the ROH title
*Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi for the Intercontinental title
*Will Ospreay vs. Jeff Cobb for the NEVER Openweight and ROH Television titles
*Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for the British heavyweight title
*Brody King and PCO vs. The Guerrillas of Destiny vs. The Briscoes vs. EVIL & Sanada for the ROH and IWGP tag titles
*Taiji Ishimori vs. Dragon Lee vs. Bandido for the IWGP junior heavyweight title
*Mayu Iwatani vs. Kelly Klein for the Women of Honor title
*Dalton Castle vs. Rush
*Bully Ray’s Open Challenge for a New York City Street Fight
*Honor Rumble feat. Jushin Thunder Liger

Three top level matchups has me very excited to be at the show again! (Have two extras as of this writing - contact me!)

I would have enjoyed more of an LIJ reunion in ring but I suppose we may get some Naito - Rush interaction separately.

Overall, very happy to see big singles matches and not multimans

1 Like

Please don’t let Taichi ruin Ospreay/Cobb.
It’s the match I’m looking forward to the most.

1 Like

Don’t let Taichi in New York. Period! We already have a Phantom of the Opera

2 Likes

Loaded main card, and that’s not even including the Honor Rumble and a rumored Stardom tag match.