What are your favorite AEW matches of all-time?

This forum needs to go back to some fun, innocent, stupid wrestling talk for us fans to geek out on. So what are your favorite matches in AEW?

My top 3:

1. Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay - Forbidden Door 2023 (June 25th)

1. Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes - Double or Nothing 2019 (May 25th)

1. CM Punk vs Maxwell Jacob Friedman Dog Collar match - Revolution 2022 (March 6th)

3 Likes

Some awesome matches…

Personal favs that come to mind:

• Omega & Hangman vs. Youngbucks (Revolution 2020)
  • Omega vs. Bryan (Grandslam 2021)
  • Orange Cassidy vs. Pac vs. Omega (Double or Nothing 2021)
  • Hangman vs. Moxley (Revolution 2023)
  • MJF vs. Danielson (Revolution 2023)
1 Like

Cody/Dustin was the match that convinced me that AEW might have some stuff that I really want to see, and wouldn’t exclusively be “really good indie and New Japan matches”.

2 Likes

I don’t watch a lot of AEW but from what I’ve seen Orange vs Pac and Orange vs Will Ospreay.

The 3 that really stick out for me are The Bucks vs Lucha Bros in the cage at All Out 2021, Cody vs Dustin from back in 2019, and one that I’m probably in the minority about, Cole vs MJF last month at All In.

Gosh, this is so tough to choose. A lot of my favs that come to mind are shared with y’all:

Bucks vs Lucha Bros (cage match) - All Out 2021
Omega vs Danielson - Grandslam 2021
Punk vs MJF (dog collar) - Revolution 2022
Orange Cassidy vs Ospreay - Forbidden Door 2022
MJF vs Danielson (Iron Man)- Revolution 2023
Omega vs Ospreay- Forbidden Door 2023
FTR vs Bullet Club Gold (2/3 falls)- Collision 2023

4 Likes

If ya made me choose 3:

Punk vs MJF (dog collar) - Revolution 2022
MJF vs Danielson (Iron Man)- Revolution 2023
Omega vs Ospreay- Forbidden Door 2023

1 Like

Also, I’d have to go back and watch again to remember which match is which, but there should definitely be some representation of the FTR/Briscoes and FTR/Bucks trilogies among my favorites.

2 Likes

There are great matches every week in AEW. So to me the differentiator that makes a match to me really memorable or a favorite is what the story was going into the match.

1. MJF vs CM Punk at Revolution 2022
    Perhaps the best feud AEW has ever done. The back-and-forth promos each week felt like Rock vs Cena building up to WM28. Each one trying to top the other with the acting and storytelling. Leading to a brutal but brilliant match.

2. MJF vs Chris Jericho at All Out 2021.
    I thought AEW did a fantastic job with the entire Jericho/MJF build starting off with the partnership, betrayal, Pinnacle vs Inner Circle, etc. And then eventually the really fun “Labors of Jericho” storyline leading into the PPV that provided great matches on TV for 5 weeks in a row and lots of fun speculation about who the opponents would be.

3. Hangman Page vs Bryan Danielson Winter is Coming 2021.
    A sentimental favorite because I was there for the first incredible 60 minute draw between Danielson and Page. The crowd was so loud and invested for the entire 60 minutes. An incredible feat of classic wrestling by these two.

3 Likes

Damn that Hangman-Bryan match was something else. I kept jumping up and down in my basement watching it.

1 Like

I agree with above that Bucks vs Lucha Bros at All Out 2021 was outstanding.

I’ve really enjoyed the Blood and Guys matches especially BCC Vs Jericho Appreciation society.

PAC Vs OC was awesome

There was a fun Hardys Vs Bucks match…maybe backstage which I enjoyed as well. I have a terrible memory though so maybe I’m mixed up

2 Likes

I like this list a lot.

1 Like

Since we are talking favorite, and not “best“, i’ll add the first Stadium Stampede match. It’s comprised of a bunch of stuff that I don’t usually like, but it was stupid and ridiculous and perfect for May of 2020.

3 Likes

For the time that it was which was the pandemic, it was fine for what it was. I was thoroughly entertained even with the cheesiness.

1 Like

Strickland/Hangman and Bryan/Zach Sabre Jr. Even the Statlander/Hart match was really good.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this thread since I posted my top 3 a couple of days ago and can’t limit it to just three.

1. Hangman Page vs Kenny Omega for the AEW Title at Full Gear 2021.
    The culmination of a long and well told story of Hangman overcoming his demons and the Elite to finally win the title in a fantastic, emotional match.

2. Jon Moxley vs Bryan Danielson for the vacant AEW title at Grand Slam 2022.
    This was for the title vacated after CM Punk’s suspension/injury at Brawl Out. Coming out of that show Jon Moxley really embraced his role as the face of the organization and an iron man putting on great matches every week that helped change the narrative about AEW. He really earned the title again in a terrific match at Grand Slam.

3. Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros steel cage match for the Tag Titles at All Out 2021.
    The best Young Bucks match in AEW in my opinion. A brutal match that didn’t go over the top the way some blood-and-guts matches do.

4. The Elite vs Death Triangle for the Trios Titles match 7 of 7 ladder match on Dynamite Jan 2023.
    An incredible series of 7 matches where every match was better than the last. I have fond memories of Match 4 which I saw live at Winter is Coming 2002. But there’s no denying match 7 was the best. And across the series AEW did a great job of the double turn as the Elite turned babyface and Death Triangle embraced their dark side.

1 Like

Bryan Danielson/ZSJ immediately joins my list. I’ll have to let it marinate, but it could be #1.

3 Likes

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but Swerve and Hangman at WrestleDream raised the roof and then some. Putting that in my honorable mentions list.

2 Likes

Remember, I’m not actively watching, so my picks might be dated and missing many excellent matches listed in this thread that I’ve never seen:

PAC vs Omega (30-Minute Iron Man)
Omega vs Opsreay
Danielson vs Omega
Danielson vs Okada
Young Bucks vs Hanger and Omega
Young Bucks vs. Lucha Brothers (all iterations I’ve seen)
Fenix vs. Nick Jackson
Best Friends vs. Santana and Ortiz - Parking lot brawl
Moxley matches in general (Mox vs. Omega Unsanctioned comes to mind, Mox vs Ishii (:heart_eyes:))
Baker (:heart_eyes:) vs Thunder Rosa - Unsanctioned Main Event
Bucks vs FTR at Daly’s Place
Orange Cassidy matches in general
Punk vs MJF - Dog Collar, but the entire feud was outstanding.
Kingston vs Ishii
The first stadium stampede.

On a certain someone’s recommendation I’m going to find and watch Danielson vs Sabre Jr., which will inevitably be on this list.

2 Likes

Danielson and Omega is not too long ago, so it’s not dated at all. They’ll do a fantastic follow up soon.

2 Likes