WWE changes name of the Fabulous Moolah battle royal

I’m not sure if this is accurate or not but I read somewhere that wwe is still holding a grudge against Sherri over something that happened before she died. So I’m guessing That’s why she wasn’t their first pick. Plus I feel like this was a Stephanie decision since she was really close with both Mae young and moolah and since they and probably like many of us, didn’t know about all of the bad stuff circulating about moolah.

She wanted to do something nice for somebody that was kinda like a grandma to her and it backfired.

Again you didn’t read. I never said it negated the action. I said the literal opposite. Also as someone else pointed out. Someone who is drunk or high made a decision to take those substances into their body and shoulders 99% of the responsibility (you can definitely speak to addiction as a disease, but lets set that aside here). The massive amount of damage done to Benoit’s brain was largely a result of repeated concussions. As has been proven in the case of NFL atheletes this causes near psychotic behavior in some cases (not all).

It doesn’t excuse anything, not arguing that it should, but you can definitely make the claim that it serves as at least a partial explanation to what happened in his case. I personally feel that there were many factors in play here, steroids, his brain injuries, and depression and rage. At the end of the day I feel that murder is still murder and especially when you talk about family annihilation, there is very little anyone can say to excuse that behavior. But I can understand people who put more weight behind various mitigating factors.

Mildred Burke would’ve been a well deserved wrestler to pay tribute to. Tbh, Sarah Del Rey would’ve been awesome!! She’s trained all of the women in the match, and then some. Btw, I’m glad it wasn’t renamed the Dana Warrior Battle Royal.

1 Like

Sarah Amato would have been perfect! Let’s stop re writing history WWE. Plenty of admirable women still alive we can tribute. Now it’s still the stupid Wrestlemania Women’s Battle Royal.

I’ve bolded the part I want to comment on… because if you truly believe that WWE didn’t know about any of this stuff, you are massively naive. I mean no offence, I always like to think the best of people to, but there’s no way on the planet that Vince was unaware of this stuff, and I’ll say the same for Hunter as well. Steph may have felt it was stuff being blown out of proportion but she would almost certainly had some knowledge about this stuff; it’s easily accessible and (unless the company is completely fucking stupid - which is possible) they would’ve done a little digging before making the announcement, just to see what might blow back.

People at the highest level of power in WWE knew about this shit and they didn’t give a shit enough to nix the idea because at the core of their business model, they don’t give a shit about equal rights and the empowerment of oppressed groups, they just wanna make it look like they do because that’s trends well.

1 Like

When you put it like that, I think I’m gonna have me a Snickers…

the thing is, i really do believe that they didn’t know about this, at less Stephanie and vince didn’t. The thing is, pretty much everybody that’s been around them have said the same thing, they don’t really read anything that’s reported on the internet and their not truly into following what’s on social media. HHH might of known but didn’t tell them because of how close they we’re to Moolah and wanted to protect them i don’T know, but i truly believe that when they made the call, nobody told them about all the rumours going about moolah or if they told them then they treated them like everything else that comes from the internet as his this was pretty much bullshit.

In the end i feel, that if somebody knew in the higher up about all off this, they just didn’t go and told them about it, but i doubt really sincerely that Vince and Stephanie either didn’t know this stuff. i might be wrong about this but the way those close to them have said about how they don’t follow news on social media and the internet in general, they just didn’t know especially if it’S Meltzer that broke the news first because they hate Meltzer with a passion from what i’ve heard.

Preach!!! That’s WWE to the max.

Vince has known about this for decades. Just because you learned about this how could people who lived in and around that time not know. Look at the Warrior stuff. They know, they just don’t care!

“everyone knew about this for decades”…everyone sure do assume and can read minds online can’t they?

People act like the McMahons are omnipotent during shit like this. it’s honestly hilarious.

With all due respect, are you a mind reader or something? How can you know that Vince knew for decades when you’re not working with him poor even living with him on a regular based.

McMahon doesn’t follow the newsletters and from what I’ve read from people’s that actually worked with him, he doesn’t follow anything on the internet or social media so unless somebody told him, which I doubt it happened, how could he know about that. I didn’t know about this and I follow wrestling on the internet more then him.

Of course I’m not a mind reader but I am a very critical thinker. Moolah was from Vince’s dad’s day. She didn’t have the advantages of Vince Sr. And survived going all carny including hogging a world title for years and pimping out her wrestlers.

She was loyal to Vince’s dad and Vince has been loyal to her. Just because YOU learnt this on the Internet doesn’t mean that people IN the industry especially those alive during this carny, sleezy time are innocent. Moolah was portrayed as this grandma figure when I was a kid so I had to learn from the Internet like you. Vince grew up and learned from his dad, first hand.

Plus ,Vince is no saint himself if you’ve read about his involvement in the Snuka murder cover up and the recent sexual assault allegation against him that resurfaced.

I wish everyone were good, honest people. I’ve learned that’s just not the case

2 Likes

Compare Mae Young’s achievements in WWE to Fabulous Moolah’s and then ask yourself why WWE chose to name the women’s tournament last year after Mae Young and not Moolah? They knew. I mean, that was a story at the time. How reliable we can never really know, but the story was that Moolah was considered and rejected because of this specific issue and I would add that the likelihood is that they wanted to name it after her but felt the timing was off because of the then recent release of a book that went into detail about these “allegations”; I believe it was called Sisterhood of the Squared Circle but I could be wrong.

The only way I’ll accept the idea that Vince doesn’t know is that he’s going senile and has lost that particular knowledge, something I’m willing to accept because I believe the man has in fact gone senile. Other than that distinct possibility there’s no way Vince was unaware of this stuff, there’s no way that Triple H was unaware of this stuff, there’s no way that Road Dogg, Michael Hayes and any other pro-wrestler-turned-agent with ties to that era don’t know this stuff. That’s more than enough people to have nixed this idea before it got to the point of commissioning a trophy be made and announcing it on the air. Triple H may have wanted to coddle his wife, sure, but there’s no way he doesn’t go directly to Vince and detail why this is bad for business and the companies bottom line because he loves his family but he’s not an idiot or a coward.

I respect that you want to think that these are good people but history has proven that they aren’t and I simply can’t accept that they weren’t aware of this when they have people working within the company that came up around that time or are knowledgeable about the business in general and given the strong ties between Moolah and the McMahon family dating back to Vinny’s dad.

1 Like

Mae Young was chosen for that women’s tournament name because she was a close friend to Stephanie McMahon.

All these assumptions here are hilarious.

1 Like

And so was Moolah but Mae was closer aND older when she died. I always figured they would name something after Moolah next and it’ll always be in poor taste, especially in today’s climate.

Except it was common knowledge for a long time.

1 Like

I’ve been on message boards for along time and this is the first I ever read these allegations. Just because you say it is…doesn’t make it so.

Just because YOU haven’t come across it in your Fandom or research doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.

WWE was short sighted on this decision like the Warrior award and lionizing Jimmy Snuka.

Why are people linking Warrior to people who are accused of murder and sex slavery? He said some bad words…not the same thing.

Because both are examples of WWEs short sightedness when it comes to PR projects.

1 Like