WWE vacates Intercontinental Title, tournament to crown new champion starts on SmackDown

If he returns and gets burried then he’s not really being punished. He’s just returning to his usual role.
Zayn’s career with WWE has been awful. He’s so similar to Dean Ambrose. He just looks like an awful wrestler whos a bit of a joke. I actually hate seeing him these days as it’s going to be an awful segment.
Stick him in AEW or NJW and he’d look like a mega star.

2 Likes

So basically what you are saying is, the pandemic could go on for another 6, 12, 18 months or however long and if Sami doesnt feel comfortable competing, they should just keep the title on him?

Give me a break dude. You’re just reaching for things to complain about with this company now. Its been clear since NXT started, that their booking decisions are very different than the main roster. Vince wants the title on his show, Sami doesnt want to appear, so this makes all the sense in the world.

How do you know that he wont come back and win it back right away? Or that he’ll be gone for a while and they’ll need him for something even bigger when he comes back?

1 Like

Haven’t you read anything about an “interim champion”, as it is exactly what they are doing on their other brand?

Meanwhile the IC title will mean exactly as much (shit) no matter who carries it.

The IC Title is “shit” unless you want to call it a huge punishment to take it off a guy who won’t be wrestling any time soon.

This is starting to feel like the “what titles did the Bushwhackers and Koko B. Ware ever win?” argument.

Stop looking at a situation with a clear bias. I couldn’t care less what people think of WWE, and I have no reason or desire to “make excuses” for them. Like I said, if he comes back and gets treated like crap, then he is being punished. Being stripped of the title when there is no timetable for his return is not punishment.

It’s not about what the title is, but the attitude* of the company towards one champion, compared to another (Sami, Andrade, Brock, whoever the 205 champion is).

• not sure if this is the right word, but you get what I mean.

Edit: Sami’s been treated like an annoying buffoon on TV for years, tell me exactly what should I be looking for when he returns?

1 Like

Not sure that is relevant. Others that he will be in close contact with are still traveling which still puts him at risk, which then puts anyone he is in contact with personally at risk. I get why he doesn’t feel safe, and I think he has the right to still not come in (not that you are implying otherwise).

Have YOU read anything about an “interim champion” in the past 50 years of WWE? We’re talking about the WWE main roster, not their minor league system that is trying to look cool, for the internet fans.

You failed to answer the question…if Sami Zayn decides he wants to sit out 6, 12, 18 months, you’re saying they should keep the title on him, because you think its a punishment if hes stripped?

I’m saying that they are doing exactly the opposite of “no one will lose their spot on the roster”.

Meanwhile - situations like this one are exactly why interim championships exist.

Remember when Shawn Michaels’ contract expired while he was still IC champion, they made Razor Ramon the IC champion and then both had a “unification” match at Mania? Can you point to me what the differences and familiarities are in both situations, please?

As ridiculous as it is to argue WWE story-line, you realize in story-line Shawn Michaels was stripped of the IC title and then he came back claiming he was the “real” IC champion so they did a “unification” match. Based on Sami’s character, they actually could do the exact same thing with him.

This is such a ridiculous argument, Sami may be punished, but being stripped of the title you said means “exactly as much (shit) no matter who carries it.” is not a punishment.

1 Like

I guess Becky Lynch is being punished for being pregnant. They might as well of just kept the title on her and had an interim Raw Womens Champion, right?

At least you sort of have a time table for when she could be back. 9 months to carry child, a few months to get back in ring shape and shes back to defend her title. Meanwhile, the pandemic is still going on and Sami Zayn could still be choosing to not wrestle.

This is not a real sport. Interim champions are shit in UFC, we dont need them in Sports Entertainment.

Whatever, dude. Now I need to take a bath.

PS Meanwhile WWE is yet to do a single COVID-19 test. Klapperz

That’s a completely different discussion. “Are the WWE taking the proper precautions while running these shows” and “Is Sami Zayn being punished” are two completely different topics. Anyone who blindly criticizes WWE OR blindly defends WWE is doing so with bias. You have to assess and evaluate each situation individually. You seem to be using a potential hole in their testing procedures as a reason to back up your claim that Zayn is being punished, they have nothing to do with each other.

Sorry for breaking the news, but it’s the truth. There’s plenty of things that this company deserves to be hated on for, stripping a guy of a title, who they don’t know when he will be around again, is not one of them.

1 Like

Maybe it was even Sami’s idea because he knows he won’t be around to defend it? Maybe he’s promised to get it back when he can come back? He’s had a history of shoulder issues lately so maybe that is flaring up. I see nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

I just look forward to Zayn getting out of his contract. He’s been completely wasted and miscast throughout his entire run on the main roster.

Spot on. Remember when Ambrose was the US champion and never defended that title?

Sami Zayn made the call to pull out of the WWE tapings due to concerns of coronavirus and it appears that his decision did not sit well with the company officials.
According to reports from Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, there is a ‘lot of unhappiness’ within the company that the former champion used the option they gave people who don’t want to wrestle in the current situation.
Meltzer added that he knows of “several people in the company who are not comfortable at all about working right now but were not about to take WWE up on the offer for job security reasons, and this was before all the firings.”

Need to say more?

4 Likes

And yet some people who stayed and worked got cut while people staying home did not. But yeah essentially in wrestling it will basically always be as it is in sports if you don’t work someone else might take your spot

Also I imagine the company is more likely to “reward” people who show up all the time.

I took the “won’t be penalized” to mean employment and monetarily. Not “you can sit out for months and have it have no impact on your position kayfabe on the show.”