WWE vacates Intercontinental Title, tournament to crown new champion starts on SmackDown

If you look closely you’ll see that the majority of people they’ve cut are such that had some issues backstage at some point. This is a petty, vindictive company as it has been proven over and over again, stop defending them, they do not deserve it.

1 Like

Most were people that asked to be released previously. I’m not saying they are a great company just that you have nothing at the moment that shows undue penalties on anyone who has stayed home. Stripping a title IMO isn’t a penalty as it amounts to a plot device.

I think you are confusing the idea of not blindly going along with a narrative as “defending” WWE.

I never said WWE is happy or upset with Zayn, how could I claim to know that? The overwhelming response has been that the act of stripping the title is not a “punishment” but rather a requirement due to the uncertainty of knowing when he will be back. I even said multiple times that he may be punished when he comes back, but I dont see the actually stripping of the title as the punishment.

You seem so hell bent at creating a narrative here. Like @Rated_R_Poster said earlier, it is so easy to find things to be upset at WWE for, but this is not one of them.

1 Like

Have you read what Meltzer reported, that I posted?

Thank you.

Dave Meltzer is God, right? Everything he has ever said in his life, about the wrestling business has been 100% true.

Yes, he reported that that WWE was upset with Zayn, which I am not arguing against as I have no clue how they feel and wont pretend to know. What I am saying for the like 5th time is that regardless of how they feel, I dont view the act of stripping him of the title as “punishment”.

WWE can be upset him, but still strip him of the title due to the uncertainty of his return. If he receives a punishment which he very well may, it would be when he comes back, or I guess if he gets fired (which I doubt they would do given his talent).

If I were in charge at WWE, I would also strip him of the title, however I would fully support his decision as IMO stripping him of the title is common sense.

Since he is a heel, it actually makes sense storyline wise as well, as they can redo the Michaels/Ramon story-line with Zayn coming back and claiming to be the “real” champion like Michaels did.

No, it makes sense storyline wise if he is a babyface, not a heel.

Like I said: it’s the WWE we are talking about, who are known to be extremely pity and vindictive. Absolutely nothing was obstructing them to make an interim champion while claiming “no one will lose their spot on the card if they decide not to go with the circus while the situation is what it is”, and yet we had people released and people losing their spot, no matter how you or whoever else wants to spin it.

Disagree, as a heel he can come out and be obnoxious about it. He would be great wearing the title, calling himself “The real champion”, putting down the new champ etc. A babyface wouldn’t complain, they would “fight to get it back”.

Not saying WWE aren’t petty or vindictive, and I’m not talking about the other releases, the fact that you are just proves to me that you are unable to view each topic in a bubble but are rather grouping everything together as one. I am ONLY talking about the stripping of the title, not the overall morality of the WWE.

Main roster has NEVER done an interim champion. Not to mention, in this instance it would be an awful idea. Zayn could be out for say a year, why would have an “interim” champion in professional wresting for potentially that long? So a few fans on the internet don’t get butthurt? Also, his contract I believe is up in a year or so, they would look like idiots if they keep him as champ, only to have him leave while still off and being the champion. It just doesn’t make sense. Just look at this thread, I think you are the only one upset about this.

How is it a punishment anyways, you yourself said the belt means shit. How can having a title that is “shit” taken off of you be a punishment?

By the way, for those who think Zayn is being “punished”, check out his twitter, he is already having fun with it and setting up an angle.

The new Intercontinental Champion should be: ____________________________!

— WWE on FOX (@WWEonFOX) May 13, 2020

Ashamed of themselves.

— Sami Zayn (@SamiZayn) May 13, 2020

I disagree with this decision and no matter what anyone says, I am still undefeated and therefore still the Intercontinental Champion. -SZ https://t.co/SUFsBFeRDB

— Sami Zayn (@SamiZayn) May 13, 2020

It’s definitely a common sense move regardless of if Sami Zayn not wanting to do shows is understandable in the current climate. Doesn’t really stretch any further than that. People are always desperate to create a mountain of controversy when he comes to WWE. Don’t think it matters if Zayn is annoyed by it or not as you can’t say you’re choosing not to be a part of the show and then expect the show not to move on (regardless of if his choice is understandable). I doubt Zayn is too put out by this either as I’m sure he’s not naive enough to think you can eat your cake and still have it. It’s unjust for WWE to release the dead weight they have under contract, even the ones that wanted a release and it’s unjust for them to carry on with their show without a wrestler that doesn’t want to be a part of the show right now. Come on now.

The irony is that vacating the title actually gives it more importance than how they’ve treated it when it was active. That said, disagree with the opinion that the IC title doesn’t matter so who cares. Probably matters to Sami who, after years and years finally gets his first main roster singles belt taken just after getting it. And the ‘let’s see what happens when he gets back’ argument smells like when Road Dog was telling everyone to wait for the story to play out. Then there was no story. Ultimately I can see both sides, it’s just the company and their inconsistency on their own policies that make every decision seem shady.

3 Likes

Damn that WWE. That terrible, horrible company for punishing Sami Zayn for taking time off and burying him like this, when he returns. How dare they do this to him?

3 Likes

Listen, the most important thing is we only listen to only our first, worst instinct and never adjust once we learn the facts. Otherwise we might have to do some introspection…and really, how many hours in the day does the internet really have?

1 Like

They did right by giving him back the title, yes. Still they could’ve assign an interim IC champion instead of actually stripping him of said title (it’s what they’ve said on TV). The result would’ve been the same and not looking as bad/petty in the process.

Sami coming back(not actually being champion), but being delusional and thinking he’s actually still the champion, is actually a way better storyline than that.

So good on them for what they did.

Well, I think it’s safe to say Sammy was not punished. Hopefully this is a lesson to some in Anticipatory anger. WWE does plenty of thing to be mad about, as fans we don’t need to get upset about things that haven’t even happened yet.

1 Like

Fans don’t know what’s going on so they fill in the blanks and then pretend their speculation is fact. Happens with every news story.