Zack Ryder future if he got fired...

Given todays landscape with WWE having money to burn and not releasing anyone and having multiple talents not used and just sitting in catering this is unlikely to happen,
but IF they released Ryder does anyone think he could survive in the indies/Japan and make a decent living?

He has pretty much been employed for what 15 years straight?

It seems this guy doesn’t know the value of a dollar as he is always blowing his money on toys to an unhealthy degree, to the point he seems to have no fear of ever getting released.

He seems happy just to collect a check for doing nothing.
Was never a fan of Ambrose but respect to him for not being happy and getting out of there no matter how much they were offering him to stay.

Compared to today’s match quality I just couldnt see Ryder being able to put on a good match and his character or lack of, plateaued in 2011 and I couldn’t see him surviving at all outside of WWE.
But thankfully he probably wont ever have to worry about that.

What do you guys think?

As Jon Moxley rightfully said, there’s so much wrestlers can do outside of wrestling or on top of wrestling: podcasts, streaming, conventions, wrestling coach, agent, the list is very long. I know Zack has his toys show with Hawkins (and a podcast ?).

1 Like

Ryder i feel will retire in wwe, this was his dream of being in wwe and outside of them releasing him, he won’t go anywhere. Plus, he a great spokesperson for mattel so that’s a another reason why they keep him and hawkins around.

Plus, the fact that they let him do his own podcast on his free time must be a big plus for him.

I don’t thing they would fired him as he’s too valuable to them in other area that’s not pro wrestling but if he got fired, i feel he would just continue his podcast and wrestled the select few indy show in the ny/nj area.

While the guys does spend a lot, i think he’s still smart enough with his money to save some in case of a emergency. He’s living his dream thanks to wwe and will continue to do so when his wwe career is over.

Ryder could probably sell some of those toys if he absolutely needed to and make some good cash. He has some really rare stuff. This guy is living the good life. Probably gets a decent pay for doing very little work. Buys whatever the fuck he wants and has a hot fiancé. He’s never leaving.

Why haven’t they done a simple low budget show like Hoarders with Ryder and his wwe collectible.
He should go to conventions and be filmed dealing with collectors.
It’s a easy to produce simple concept that reveals the guys real love of wrestling.

Nvm I answered my own question with the last sentence - that’s why they don’t do it

1 Like

actually if you go on the WWE youtube channel, they sometimes use hawkins and ryder to do exactly that. they even have a series on their youtube channel that have them go to store across the country and just buy stuff. They also use them for promotional stuff for mattel on that channel. Not to mention the stuff they do on their own on their own youtube channel.

So Both WWE and Ryder are pretty much doing the idea you just pointed out.

2 Likes

Thank you for providing that @AEW25 I had no idea.

So what allows something like BTE to catch on and the Ryder / Hawkins social media stuff to miss a pretty in tune fan like myself

I thought some of their toy stuff ended up on the WWE Network.

1 Like

Yeah i think they did as they do use a lot of their youtube exclusive content to fill up time on the network.

1 Like

Ryder is a complete mark and one of the people just happy to be employed by WWE.

He’ll stay as long as they continue giving him a salary.

Hard to think less then a year later he was released by WWE shortly after WrestleMania.

This has been a long time coming in fairness, there has been zero evolution in his character, so why would they keep him around.
Just happy to be there incase they need him as opposed to pitching new creative ideas.

Lucky they started the podcast and have people to support their shirts and Patron, but when the other promotions start up again I doubt he will be wrestling anywhere.

Can he and others sue WWE for “wrongful dismissal” in the near future?

I would guess not given that they are (on paper) independent contractors.

Is there any advantage to being an independent contractor?

In wrestling, I don’t think so. But workers make these concessions to work for WWE and get the most exposure and (typically) make the most money. And WWE knows this so as long as the guys they want are willing to sign, it’s probably not changing.

1 Like

You know, John Oliver ran a story about WWE guys being misused abused as “independent contractors” as some people call it.

Until RocketKing’s reply, I had no idea what it meant except maybe for the chance to generically accuse WWE of human rights violations almost.

Back to Zach Ryder: I really hoped that he would stay long enough to be a top title champion like the WWE Champion or the Universal Champion.

While it is safe to say that it’s not happening in the near future, I would give it time because time heals all things sometimes.

I just hope Ryder won’t become angry and bitter like Tom Zenk, who passed on I think three years ago. When I used to hear him talk trash about everyone in the former radio show Live Audio Wrestling, which I think is now Sunday Night’s Main Event (I think). I don’t like what Vince has done to Bret, but at least Bret made the effort of burying the hatchet while being cautious (i.e. forgive but never forget). Zenk never did that and now, in death, his tortured soul will only suffer more torture for eternity.

You know, life after WWE might actually be a blessing in disguise. I’m a WWE mark (shit, just peed my pants; I actually implied that I wasn’t. I’m wrong), but I am smart enough to know that living life is not perfect; go home, practise social distancing, take care of your family, get a sinecure local job. My point is you’ve made your mark, you have 10+ experience in WWE, and, because of having that kind of reputation, you can do anything you want.

All that being said, I wouldn’t mind a surprise Royal Rumble appearance from him; put him in spot 30!

I think Maria Kanellis should have a case, as she was on maternity leave, being pregnant with her 2nd child.

Then again it would depend on the contracts wording & the laws in the us in reguards to firing a woman on marternity leave.

1 Like

Normally yes. In my line of work there are independent contractors and employees that work with my company. From the workers perspective in my world, the advantages are that they have more control over what they do. For example, with an employee you generally give them a schedule, an independent contractor typically makes their own schedule. An employee is typically given specific shifts (ie. 9-5), a contractor can work when they want as long as they get the job done. An employee gets x amount of vacation a year and needs approval to take time off, an independent contractor can go away when they want for as long as they want (within reason). Now this does differ from company to company and from job to job, and ultimately it depends on what is in the actual contracts.

I’ve always been told that you have to be very careful with what you tell an independent contractor as you can’t treat them like an employee. As far as WWE goes, the way they control their talent, every single aspect of the relationship scream employer/employee.

edit I am Canadian, so my interpretation is based on what its defined as in Canada, I have no clue if its the same or different in the US.

3 Likes

If I had to guess, I’m thinking it wasn’t an actual “maternity leave” based on the legal definition. I think in the US they only get like 3 months anyways, and shes been gone for a long time.

My guess is WWE just sent her home with pay because she was pregnant. I have to think she would have no case. (to be clear, I’m not saying I think its morally right, I’m just talking from a legal standpoint).

1 Like