2018 G1 Contest Results Updates

Just want to thank you for keeping the score’s it’s nice to see what place i’m in thank u Chris

1 Like

Thanks! It’s been a lot of fun.

1 Like

Results & scores are updated for 28-Jul-2018 (Day 10).

We have a new #1: Brickowski at 39 points. Many are still close on his heels.

2 Likes

Hey , folks. I won’t have tomorrow’s results up until the afternoon FYI.

4 Likes

Results & scores are updated for 30-Jul-2018 (Day 11).

We have a new #1: Sanru22 at 43 points. Sanru22 has a perfect day 11 and scored five points to leapfrog the pack and into first place. Well done!

1 Like

Results & scores are updated for 1-Aug-2018 (Day 12).

We’re back to a two-way tie for first place. Congratulations to Brickowski and Matt Q who both had perfect picks today to go into first place with 47 points each.

1 Like

Results & scores are updated for 2-Aug-2018 (Day 13).

Matt Q kept his lead and now is alone at #1 with 51 points.

Hey, guys. John & Wai mentioned some scoring scenarios for the B Block that I sent them. Here they are in case you’re interested. They don’t detail every theoretical scenario but they were fun to map out. If you want to try out your own you can play around with this Excel file I put together:

Here are some of the possible scenarios:

KENNY OMEGA:

• Omega can earn a maximum of 18 points and can clinch with 16. Omega wins the B Block in any of these scenarios:
  • Omega scores a combined 4 points vs. Ishii, Yano, & Ibushi. This gives Omega 16 with the head-to-head tie-breaker vs. Naito even if Naito wins all remaining matches.
  • Omega scores no more than 1 point combined vs. Ishii, Yano, & Ibushi; Naito scores no more than 3 points combined vs. Ibushi, Sanada, & ZSJ, Ibushi scores no more than 4 points combined vs. Naito, Tonga, and Omega (Omega 13, Naito 13, Ibushi 12. Omega wins head-to-head tie-breaker vs. Naito)
  • Omega loses to Ibushi and scores no more than 1 point vs. Ishii & Yano; Ibushi beats Naito & loses to Tonga; Naito scores a combined 3 points or less vs. Sanada & ZSJ (Omega 13, Naito 13, Ibushi 12. Omega wins head-to-head tie-breaker vs. Naito)

TETSUYA NAITO:

• Naito can earn a maximum of 16 points. Naito wins the B Block in any of these scenarios:
  • Naito beats Ibushi, Sanada, & ZSJ OR AND Omega scores a combined 3 points or less vs. Ishii, Yano, and Ibushi. (Naito 16, Omega max. 15, Ibushi max. 12)
  • Naito beats Ibushi & ZSJ; Omega scores no more than 1 point vs. Ishii, Yano, & Ibushi. (Naito 14, Omega max 13, Kota Ibushi max. 12)
  • Naito beats Sanada & ZSJ, Omega loses to Ishii and Yano, Ibushi beats Naito & Tonga, Omega and Ibushi DRAW. (Naito 14, Omega 13, Ibushi 13)
  • Naito draws vs. Ibushi AND scores a combined 3 points vs. Sanada & SZJ; Omega scores no more than 1 combined point vs. Ishii, Yano & Ibushi; Ibushi scores no more than 2 combined points vs. Tonga & Omega. (Naito 14, Omega & Ibushi max. 13 each)
  • Omega loses all remaining matches, Naito scores a combined 3 points vs. Ibushi, Sanada & ZSJ, Ibushi scores no more than 2 points vs. Naito & Tonga

KOTA IBUSHI:

• Ibushi can earn a maximum of 14 points and can win with as few as 12. Ibushi wins if:
  • Ibushi wins all remaining matches; Omega scores no more than 2 combined point vs. Ishii & Yano; Naito scores no more than 3 combined points vs. Sanada & ZSJ. (Ibushi 14, Omega max. 14, Naito max, 14; Ibushi wins head-to-head tie-breaker vs. both Natio & Omega)
  • Omega loses vs. Ibushi and scores no more than 1 combined point vs. Ishii & Yano; Naito loses vs. Ibushi and scores no more than 3 combined points vs. Tonga & ZSJ; Ibushi draws vs. Tonga. (13 points each, Ibushi wins head-to-head tie-breaker vs. Omega & Naito)
  • Ibushi beats Naito & Omega; Omega loses all remaining matches; Naito scores no more than 2 combined points vs. Sanada & ZSJ. Even if Ibushi lost to Tonga, in this scenario Omega, Naito, and Ibushi would all have 12 and Ibushi would have the head-to-head tie-breaker vs. both Omega and Naito.

Before the G1 started, I theorized that the B Block final would come down to Ibushi and Omega. I modeled my picks to have a scenario where Omega went in two points ahead of Ibushi for their match, Ibushi would win the match giving them equal points with Ibushi getting the head-to-head tie breaker. I could see Omega losing to Ishii or even Yano to set up this scenario. Losing to Yano would be interesting as Yano would have victories over both of the Golden Lovers.

3 Likes

Results & scores are updated for 4-Aug-2018 (Day 14).

A new 2-way tie for first place! Nick Ekste and Sanru22 both picked 4 out of 5 correct to jump to a tie at 54 points.

1 Like

…and a special shout-out to @Brad_The_Archivist for clawing his way out of the basement!

2 Likes

Results & scores are updated for 5-Aug-2018 (Day 15).

We’re back to a lone #1. Nick Ekste out-predicted Sanru22 4-3 to go to 58 points.

@wai0937 and WH are still tied at 45!

I’m glad I finally moved up to the 2nd group, tied with @wai0937 & WH.

I’m really looking forward to the C-Block final though between @Brad_The_Archivist & Matt #2.

2 Likes

As was mentioned on today’s recap podcast, the final update before the actual G1 finals will be posted after the August 8th show. I have some family commitments on the weekend of the 11th and 12th that will prevent me from providing timely updates but I think it will be fun to have a little bit of suspense leading into the finals for the contest. After the finals, I will post update files for both days so that people can see the movement in points from day to day.

Results & scores are updated for 8-Aug-2018 (Day 16).

After the dust has settled, we’re back to a 2-way tie for first place between Nick Este and Sanru22 at 60 points.

Fun fact: Today was tied with day 3 with the fewest number of people guessing all five matches correctly with only 3 people doing so. Today, surprisingly, one of the participants that scored 5 out of 5 was Randobot 2000!

A-BLOCK SCENARIOS

Hiroshi Tanahashi wins A-Block if:

• Tanahashi beats Okada
  • Tanahashi & Okada draw

Jay White wins A-Block if:

• White beats EVIL AND Okada beats Tanahashi

Okada wins A-Block if:

• Okada beats Tanahashi AND EVIL beats White
  • Okada beats Tanahashi AND EVIL & White draw

Assuming Tanahashi vs. Okada goes on last, if White wins then Okada has no chance to win the block which would suggests to me that EVIL will win (or draw) vs. White to add maximum drama to Tanahashi vs. Okada.

B-BLOCK SCENARIOS

Kenny Omega wins B-Block if:

• Omega beats Ibushi
  • Omega & Ibushi draw AND Naito & ZSJ draw

Tetsuya Naito wins B-Block if:

• Naito beats ZSJ AND Ibushi beats Omega
  • Naito beats ZSJ AND Ibushi & Omega draw

Kota Ibushi wins B-Block if:

• Ibushi beats Omega AND ZSJ beats Naito

Similar to A-Block, I’d assume that Omega vs. Ibushi is going on last. If Naito wins or draws vs. ZSJ then Ibushi can’t win the block. If Naito loses vs. ZSJ then the winner of Omega vs. Ibushi will be the block winner (but Omega would also win if Omega vs. Ibushi is a tie).

1 Like

Hey Chris, thank you so very much for the scoring rundown and explanations. The whole point system and random scenarios is so confusing around the last days of the tournament. Btw, I have a sneaky suspicion that Jay White is getting into the finals via a screwy Okada win.

You’re very welcome. I’m glad you’re enjoying the updates.

2 Likes

…and that’s a wrap! The reports for the last two days of the block matches are uploaded. I had the privilege of being able to announce the winners on the most recent G1 Update podcast with John and Wai. In the report linked to above for day #18, page #1 is a summary of some statistics from the contest as well as the winners.

If you don’t want to know the winner until you listen to the podcast don’t download the report for 11-Aug!

Thanks, everyone, for your participation. It was a lot of fun to administer and I appreciate the kind words people shared here. Enjoy the finals tomorrow!

4 Likes

Thanks Chris. You and Ishii are tied for my G1 MVPs.

6 Likes

Haha. Thanks! I’ll defer to Ishii… I don’t want him to chop me in the throat. :smiley:

2 Likes

Holy Crap, with my predictions I actually came third :slight_smile:

4 Likes