2018 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame Ballot

Make some unofficial fantasy votes guys!

THE HISTORICAL PERFORMERS ERA CANDIDATES
Johnny Barend
Red Bastien
June Byers
Wild Bull Curry
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Don Fargo
Archie “Mongolian Stomper” Gouldie
Chavo Guerrero Sr.
Rocky Johnson
Paul Jones
Sputnik Monroe
Blackjack Mulligan
Johnny Rougeau
George Steele
John Tolos
Enrique Torres
Von Brauners & Saul Weingeroff
Johnny “Wrestling II” Walker
Bearcat Wright

THE MODERN PERFORMERS IN U.S/CANADA CANDIDATES
Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson w/J.J. Dillon
Junkyard Dog
Edge
Bill Goldberg
Samoa Joe
Rick Martel
Randy Orton
C.M.Punk
Sgt. Slaughter
Trish Stratus
Kerry Von Erich
Ultimate Warrior

WRESTLING IN JAPAN CANDIDATES
Jun Akiyama
Cima
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Hayabusa
Kota Ibushi
Yuji Nagata
Tetsuya Naito
Kenny Omega
Kiyoshi Tamura
Akira Taue

WRESTLING IN MEXICO CANDIDATES
Los Brazos (Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata & El Brazo)
Cien Caras
Caristico
Ultimo Guerrero
Ruben Juarez
Karloff Lagarde
Los Misioneros de la Muerte (El Signo & El Texano & Negro Navarro)
Blue Panther
L.A. Park
Huracan Ramirez
Univero 2000
Vampiro
Villano III
Dr. Wagner Jr.

WRESTLING IN EUROPE/AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND/PACIFIC ISLANDS/AFRICA
Sypros Arion
Big Daddy
Dominic DeNucci
Horst Hoffman
Billy Joyce
Killer Karl Kox
Mario Milano
Kendo Nagasaki
Jackie Pallo
Rollerball Mark Rocco
Johnny Saint
Ricki Starr
Otto Wanz

NON-WRESTLERS
Bill Apter
Lord James Blears
Dave Brown
Jim Crockett Jr.
Jim Crockett Sr.
Howard Finkel
Ed Francis
Gary Hart
Jimmy Hart
Jerry Jarrett
Larry Matysik
Don Owen
Steve Rickard
George Scott
Stanley Weston

1 Like

My knowledge is not wide enough for my vote to be relevant but I like their hall of fame. It makes more sense than WWE.

1 Like

Sputnik Monroe isn’t in already?

I’m surprised to see that George Steele isn’t already in. If I had one vote for each section I would go for George Steele, Trish Stratus, Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan (interesting they’re put together considering they could go in by themselves), L.A. Park, Johnny Saint and Howard Finkle.

1 Like

I’ve never really followed this HoF. Can someone tell me why guys like Omega, Ibushi, Joe, and Naito among others are in this with a bunch of older/retired guys? What is the criteria to get onto the ballot?

From Wikipedia

Meltzer began the Hall of Fame by choosing a list of 122 inaugural inductees in 1996. Since then, wrestlers from past and present, others employed in the professional wrestling industry, and wrestling journalists and historians have been selected by Meltzer to cast secret ballots to determine annual groups of inductees. Voting criteria include the length of time spent in wrestling, historical significance, ability to attract viewers, and wrestling ability. Inductees must have at least 15 years of experience in the wrestling business or be over 35 years old and have 10 years of experience. To gain membership in the hall, potential inductees must receive 60% support on the ballots from their geographic region. Any person that gets less than 10% of the vote is eliminated from the ballot. If a person fails to get inducted 15 years after being put on the ballot, they must get 50% of the vote or be eliminated. There are 216 inductees, including the eight tag teams.

If Kenny Omega, Ibushi or Naito get in before Hayabusa then this system is obviously flawed.

He drew money, invented moves and inspired wrestlers.

1 Like

The voters base it on an overall body of work, drawing power, etc. As well as those three have done lately, there would be no way they would be in on the first ballot.

2 Likes

No Big Daddy posts yet? He seems to be a big topic this time of year, every year on the F4W board

Based on categories…

Rocky Johnson
Sgt. Slaughter
Hayabusa
L.A. Park
Dominic DeNucci
Jimmy Hart

Johnny Rougeau: Being from montreal, I’ve been hoping to for to see him being recognize for everything He’s done for the Montreal territory.

MODERN PERFORMERS IN U.S/CANADA CANDIDATES**
Rick Martel: kinda surprise He’s not in yet, the guy was a former world champion and one of the best talent to come out of the Montreal territory.

Hayabusa: pretty much just a legend in Japanese wrestling and again surprise that He’s not in yet.

Blue Panther: one of the most known wrestler in Mexico and surprise He’s not in

Dominic DeNucci: again a surprise he not in.

NON-WRESTLERS
Bill Apter: if it wasn’t for the apter mags their wouldn’t be a wrestling observer newsletter because apter is the reason pretty much every dirt sheet writer is doing what they are doing. He the guy that pave the way for wrestling media to exist and deserve to be in it.

1 Like

Historical: John Tolos
Modern: Rick Martel
Japan: Hayabusa
Mexico: LA Park
Europe: Otto Wanz
Non: Jimmy Hart

Without playing the “he is in, so this guy should also be in” game, I think the Modern US/Canada category is the weakest (of the people I’ve heard of).

Several guys in other categories who feel like no-brainers (Hayabusa, Sputnik, Big Daddy), but nobody that jumps out to me at that level in the Modern US category. Maybe JYD?

Sputnik Monroe

THE MODERN PERFORMERS IN U.S/CANADA CANDIDATES
Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson w/J.J. Dillon

Tetsuya Naito

Dr. Wagner Jr.

Rollerball Mark Rocco

NON-WRESTLERS
Gary Hart

I just joined the group and would appreciate any advice on how to go about voting (assuming we are allowed to vote - I’m not sure how this works).

Why is Ricki Starr listed in the “Europe/Australia/…” category? Ricki was born in the United States and after his debut in 1953 wrestled for over a decade in America before going to the Europe to perform. He left for Germany in 1964 where he wrestled for over a year before going to wrestle in the U.K.

The fact is that Ricki didn’t wrestle in very many matches when he was in the U.K. and Europe. He wasn’t very active and over his career had more than 10 bouts in the United States for every 1 bout overseas. Also, Starr made his name in this country, NOT in Europe and the U.K.

I remember back in the day in the late '50s all the girls in my Brooklyn, NY neighborhood were crazy about Starr. He was a huge name on Capitol Wrestling and we would see him consistently on the regular Thursday night telecast of Capitol Wrestling Television From Washington DC.

Ricki Starr was an AMERICAN wrestler and just because he chose to live in the U.K. after his retirement doesn’t qualify him to be on a “Europe…” ballot. Ricki should be on “The Historical Performers Era Candidates” ballot.

The public doesn’t vote, the voters are (mainly) unarmed historians, writers, promoters and wrestlers(past & present)

If memory serves me right, I believe John has a vote in this.

Thanks! Just for fun my picks would be:

Historical Performers Era
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Red Bastien

Modern Performers in US/Canada
Bill Goldberg
Ultimate Warrior

Wrestling in Europe/Australia/…
Ricki Starr if he belonged in this category (which he doesn’t).
Otherwise:
Mario Milano
Big Daddy

Non-Wrestlers
Bill Apter
Stanley Weston

1 Like

Wow their are a lot more deserving names on this list then I realised. So that being said my just for fun picks would be:

• THE HISTORICAL PERFORMERS ERA CANDIDATES”: Blackjack Mulligan.
  • THE MODERN PERFORMERS IN U.S/CANADA CANDIDATES”: Kerry Von Erich.
  • WRESTLING IN JAPAN CANDIDATES”: Hayabusa.
  • WRESTLING IN MEXICO CANDIDATES”: Ultimo Guerrero.
  • "WRESTLING IN EUROPE/AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND/PACIFIC ISLANDS/AFRICA: Sypros Arion.
  • NON-WRESTLERS”: Jim Crockett Sr…

Well the name Mario Milano is synonymous with the Golden Age of Professional Wrestling in Australia, if he were to get inducted I could see how many fans may find it in poor taste.

I’d say some great choices in the Japanese section. I really want to see Hayabusa finally get his moment because of being such a franchise player at FMW and the amount of INFLUENCE he has given to Japanese wrestling is unparalleled. Him and Liger are among the most legendary Junior Heavyweights and high flyers in Puroresu history.