ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

For those of us who came in when Post Wrestling started, but weren’t listening back in the day, could you explain the Scott Putski reference?

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

Do you think that the POST wrestling venture has changed you as journalists? Has the Patreon effected how you select content and review shows? and what’s it like going into business with a close friend?

1 Like

Where do you see MMA in five years?

UFC was on top of the world on 2009 but seems deflated lately. I know UFC got big money from EsPn and Bellator for DAZN (da zone). But i feel thats inflated. At least in canada popularity seems very low. Do we still have bog fights and big names?

Do you see the those who would enter TUF a decade ago now trying out for NXT instead?

Thanks guys!

I think everyone who is a wrestling fan appreciates and admires how quick Kurt Angle and Brock Lesner’s ascendency to the top of the wrestling business was. Has Ronda Rousey already got to the top of that list? Don’t forget Angle and Lesner were both training and having matches for a year before they even made their TV debut. Rousey came straight in with what I still believe was the best match of the show at wrestlemania with minimal training at the performance center whilst also juggling her acting schedule at the same time.

Also with the impending call up of shayna not far off how do you book them together on the same show?

(Ronda Rousey ultimate babyface)
(Shayna Baszler ultimate heel)

Branavan from Ajax:

Do you guys feel that the Tanahashi and Omega storyline is relying on the 4th wall too much? What I mean is that I enjoy the idea of the whole “Philosophical differences” angle but on the other hand I find “Omega’s matches don’t matter except for the last 5 minutes” and “Tanahashi’s matches are boring” stuff kinda lame. With that being said, I am looking forward to the match but I can’t help but think that in WWE this idea would be mocked, what say you?

P.S Thank you for the hard work that you guys put in. I greatly enjoy it.

2 Likes

Mj,
So somebody posted the Pollock v Ting trailer in another thread and the people need to know:

• what happen at Pollock vs Ting 1 and 2?! Details of 3?
  • where can I buy a Alcohopollocks shirt
  • what colors will be available for the above referenced shirt in the POST merch shop?
  • who won this contest?
  • is this better than Grapple Kingdom?
  • what year is this?
  • is this the POST Wrestling’s attitude era?!

Continuing the discussion from The 10th Anniversary of Pollock vs. Ting:

Also, are any J-O-P-O songs available on iTunes? And have you ever considered doing an Elias-type album?

(Sorry John, but recent threads warrant these important questions)

1 Like

Dan from Liverpool,

John, in a previous ASK-A-WAI you recommended Wondery’s Business Wars podcast. I was wondering if you listened to some of Wondery’s other podcasts? They’ve recently started a Legal Wars podcast all about some of America’s most famous court cases, in the same style as Business Wars, and the first subject is the Hogan V Gawker trial.

Could you explain Rey’s last run in the WWE? I wasn’t watching at the time, so don’t know much about it, but was under the impression that it ended in a lawsuit to get Rey out of his contract, so I’m curious as to how and way everyone is working together again.Thanks.

1 Like

Tyler from Orlando,

Hypothetically, if you HAD to move to the United States, where would you choose to live and why?

Scott from Toronto

Could you explain the significance of the different clips that make up the intro to Rewind-A-Wai?

1 Like

Bill & Alex in Orlando

Will either of you or both be attending this years elf night? What is something that is sold in the US that’s not in Canada that you wish was? This ones from Alex alone: Which member of The Shield do you think is the most attractive?

1 Like

Bill & Alex in Orlando

Oh and wrestling wedding theme music: groom walks down the aisle to HHHs “Its Time To Play The Game”. Bride walks down the aisle to Mr McMahons “No Chance in Hell”

If this is too long (I know it is, Wai (understandably and, let’s be honest, rightfully) never finishes my questions), just go to the last paragraph.

Big ups to you guys for your professional and ethical candor and conduct in regards to the WWE/Saudi Arabia story. I don’t know if the show went ahead or not by the time you’ll be reading this (my cynical guess: it did!), but there are too few legitimate journalists in this weird pseudo-sport, so I’m happy to support two of the few too few. THE SAUDI ROYAL FAMILY LIKELY EXECUTED A FUCKING JOURNALIST – anyone who says that they can separate the WWE and Saudi Arabia is either being willfully ignorant, an unethical shill, or is a complete moron.

Anyway, if you’ll bear with me; I haven’t watched WWE programming for over a year, and as a wrestling fan, I’ve never been happier. This company has proven time and time again that ethics don’t matter, and on top of that, they can’t write a decent story to save their lives and are somehow failing upward; I’d personally be all about you guys dropping WWE reviews and just focusing on news related to them, but I know that makes no economic sense for you guys, so I’ll table that suggestion.

With all that said, my question is: are there any plans or is it possible to expand your podcasting coverage to more promotions or wrestling scenes for those of us who can’t stomach WWE? I always listen to the BWE crew to keep abreast on the major European promotions and to John and WH for Japan, and I love the New Japan reviews. I know you guys have too much on your plate as it is, so I wouldn’t expect you to watch more wrestling, but have you thought about bringing on anyone to do more regular coverage of the non-WWE televised North American promotions like Impact, ROH, and MLW? And have you considered covering the Mexican wrestling scene? I know access and the language barrier make that more difficult, but I follow Luchablog/thecubsfan to keep afloat on the big CMLL/AAA shows and lesser-known Mexican talent, and he or she is an essential resource for any non-Spanish speaking lucha fans. Maybe even a round-table with someone like that or who is knowledgeable about current lucha would be cool? Anyway, thanks, and sorry (again) about the length.

1 Like

Jake from The Windy City here!

1. Have either of you drove stick-shift before? Do you guys prefer manual or automatic transmission? What were your dream cars growing up?

2. Please forgive this weird, random question but I’ve been wondering, in Canada, is there a distinction between the words “university” and “college”? Here in the States, the popular term is “college” even though a vast majority of higher education schools have the word “university” in their names.

What’s the drawing ceiling for a non-WWE wrestling show here in Toronto? And if you wanted to draw 10k or more to a non WWE wrestling show here, do you think All In 2 would have a better chance of doing it or a NJPW show that features several big title matches and managed to get Chris Jericho to wrestle on it?

Shaun from New Jersey

What would you say is the best birthday/Christmas gift that you’ve ever received? Are there any from your childhood that stick out?

WOULD YOU RATHER!?

Q1: would you rather have hands that kept growing as you got older or feet that kept growing as you got older?

Amit from London

1 Like

Do you guys think the UFC has the capabilities to make a card that could sell out a 60,000(+) seat arena? If so, what 2-3 fights would be the main draws, and where would it be?

With Canelos monster deal w dazn and them also giving Bellator a huge chunk of money. How can a company turn a profit only charging $10 a month?

Brandon from Oshawa

If Gordon Ramsay suddenly showed up to the POST Office and wanted each of you to cook your signature dish for him, what would that dish be?

1 Like