ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Hey guys, two questions this time around:

You guys seem to be in pretty good shape, what’s your current workout schedule like?

Also have you had any interesting dreams or nightmares that you are willing to share?

One question: Walt Disney World or Universal Studios?

• Jake from Chicago

Jesse from the 6

[I asked this question in response to your KotR '93 Review but I didn’t post it in time.]

Do you know why Vince kept the Title on Yokozuna for so long in '93-'94? If the initial plan was for Hogan to drop the Title to Bret (which, according to the excerpt you read from Bret’s book, perhaps that was never the plan) then why did Yoko keep the title? Do you know if Vince ever planned to put the title on Luger?
I’ve just always found it odd because Vince never kept the title on a heel before. Yoko’s reign was the longest by a heel in company history to that point.

Take Care

What I wouldn’t pay to see John & Wai at a Welsh bachelor party…that night’s Lens would be wild.

Hey guys, just wondering if either of you have ever had a night out at The Drake Hotel on Queen St? I was in Toronto 4 years ago and had a great night out there.

Hi. Hope you are both well. I’m going to be cheeky and ask two questions but totally understand if you just want to ask one.

If you were wrestlers… just kidding! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Serious question now is just to get a little bit of background on the development of POST wrestling. I know you had to meet with lawyers and accountants etc are you able to discuss more of what that entailed and how do you both deal with creative differences. I imagine you guys have had to discuss things that could lead to clashing of heads and maybe argued/fell out in the early days. How did you deal with that?

Secondly - just wondering what mic you use and do you use them to record via Skype when you aren’t together which leads to better sound quality? I was pipe dreaming about podcasting and would be interested to know.

Thanks again for the serious hard work you do.

Scott from Toronto

Hi John and Wai,

My question is regarding NJPW talent being sent on excursion. Why isn’t this something that every other promotion who can afford it tries to do?

The more I think about it, the experience the talent must absorb of learning how different promotions work and being exposed to different wrestling styles that are popular in North and South America seem invaluable. On the other hand, can you think of any instances where talent have been sent on excursion and it’s set back their progression?

Appreciate the hard work you guys put into every episode. Thanks!

1 Like

Jesse from Tulsa

A lot of my favorite wrestlers when I was a kid, never held the World Title. Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, Mr Perfect and Roddy Piper, just to name a few. These guys are legends in the business and are still looked fondly on today but Vince never gave them a run with the top title. I know you can’t put yourself in Vinces mindset but in your opinion, why do guys like Roman Reigns get title shot after title shot and win multiple World Titles but certain other guys are never given that World Title run? I never bought the argument I’ve heard from some people like Bruce Prichard that “they didn’t need it.” Did Hogan need it? Did Steve Austin need the title? What’s you guys opinion on this?

Would you rather have a healthy Shibata back in NJPW, or a happy and healthy CM Punk back in WWE?

Hi guys,
I’ve been a fan of yours for years now but rarely joined in on these so I’m changing that now. As a wrestling fan one of my favourite things to watch or experience is that “big match” feel. Saying that I think what makes that feeling can be different for different people. So my question is what makes a match feel like a “big match” to you?

Quick question: Have either of you guys ever walked out of a movie or were unable to finish one at home because it was so terrible? If so, what was the movie and why?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

• Shaun from New Jersey

Jamie from Leamington,

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for all the great content! Worth every penny.

It feels like there’s an ever increasing MMA/Catch influence in wrestling these days, whether it’s Ronda/Shayna in WWE, or Matt Riddle on the independent scene. Can you see something like Matt Riddle’s Bloodsport or Will Opsreay’s Frontline Wrestling beginning to take off and becoming more of a player?

Second to that, with the success Ronda, and to a lesser extent Shayna Baszler, Matt Riddle, Josh Barnett are having, do you think more MMA fighters are eyeing pro wrestling as a future career choice?

Thanks,

Jamie from Leamington

Mj
Bit of a personal question but perhaps it can be answered broadly if you know other people in the industry who it applies to: did you guys or anyone you know capitalize on the WWE Stock move over the past few years and most recently since the spring?
With how much it was covered and discussed on shows like yours, I figured WWE would get a huge rights increase and tried to catch the wave. I was successful. This was my first ever big investment decision and it worked which I hear is bad luck. And also best payoff WWE has had in years!

Second Question - could you envision a scenario in which the WWE Network airs All In? Crazy idea, but this would be the way to maximize a potential viewing audience, and we have seen WWE start to be collaborative with The Bucks & Omega. Obviously you have Cody’s family ties, and WWE could be inserting themselves as a distributor of wrestling content in a way that could open the door for more unique collaborations. With so many promotions involved - could all companies push aside egos and leverage the most accessible and best tool to showcase wrestling.

Imran from Huddersfield

Two quick ones - John, favourite Jimmy Eat World songs? and Wai, have you seen both Hellboy films? if so, what are your thoughts? For me, they’re two of the most underrated comic book movies around.

Eric From Chicago:

I have never traveled to Canada before and am planning a trip to either Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal next spring. I am only going to visit one due to time constraints/money and am having trouble deciding on which one to visit. Most of my American friends are suggesting Vancouver. Can you please provide me with a Canadian perspective on which would be the best to see? I will be staying for about 5 days.

John, who will win the 2018 World Cup?

Do you think raw and smackdown could/should repeat storylines from nxt when they call someone up?

I feel debuting bayley as a big deal was a mistake, and she needed the underdog story first. Also Andrade cien Almas, I feel needed the losing streak before zelina Vega, to make their partnership significant.

Hey guys, another question. We always talk about some of the best matches in wrestling history. In your opinion, what were some of the worst matches in wrestling history? Do you guys think that we will ever see a worse match than Sheik and Volkoff against the Bushwhackers from Heroes of Wrestling or Jenna Morasca vs Sharmell from TNA Victory Road 2009?

• Jake from Chicago

John and Wai, What makes good ribs in your opinion?

1 Like

John and Wai, what is your go to chicken nugget sauce?

2 Likes