ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

They reviewed this early on in the Review-A-Wai era. If those archives are still up you should be able to download it.

John, this year marks the fifth anniversary of when you first covered the G1 card-by-card. It was your coverage of the 2013 tournament that got me into New Japan, so thank you for that.
During your coverage of the tournament, you said that Day 4 was perhaps the greatest wrestling show you had ever seen, among WrestleMania X-Seven & When Worlds Collide in the top echelon of shows ever. Day 4 featured Ishii vs Shibata (I think your match of the year for 2013) and Nakamura vs Ibushi (one of my personal all time favourites).

Do you still hold that card in such high esteem today? Have there been subsequent shows that have equaled or surpassed it in your opinion? (Do you even remember it?)

Hereā€™s a link to the card to refresh your memory if you need it: http://www.profightdb.com/cards/njpw/g1-climax-23---day-4-17225.html

1 Like

Valentin from Germany

Hey guys, after watching the show that was Extreme Rules 2018 I kind of missed the old LAW radio show, with listener call-ins and you, Jason and mouth bickering about the PPV, especially about something like the handling of Asuka.

Have you ever thought of putting up a show like that since bringing Postwrestling to life?
And will we hear of Mouth and Jason in a wrestling context again on a regular basis?

Donā€™t take it as criticism, I really enjoy all the work you do, I tend to watch Raw and Smackdown only to be prepared for your shows :smiley:

Jake from Chicago here!!!

This is a question about Canada and the United States. John and Wai, are you both into patriotism and having extreme pride in your country? Me as an American, I donā€™t understand why my fellow Americans need to have bragging rights and be extremely proud of our country. Patriotism is not my cup of tea.

Also as Canadians, when you were both growing up, what were your thoughts on America? What do you like about America and its people? Do you think itā€™s still a great country?

Thanks!

Hey guys, Lewis here, hope everythingā€™s well, just a quick question:

After hearing Wai and WH talk about Chris Charlton compared to Django as translator on the Day 6 show, I understand where you guys were coming from with Chris being all around better in the role and Iā€™d love to see him on the booth more but what about Django are you guys not a fan of? Since he appeared Iā€™ve kind of liked how heā€™s getting more comfortable in the role and I find him pretty endearing, I also think heā€™s got good pretty good chemistry with Kevin, Rocky and Don. I also think this job on the booth has been sorely needed for years and Iā€™m really happy theyā€™ve got a Japanese/English speaker on the table now.

Thanks and keep up the great work, these G1 shows are fantastic and theyā€™re keeping me motivated to keep up to date too!

If The Rock came back and won the Universal Title, wrestling a schedule similar or less regular than Lesnar. Do you think fans would have the same disdain for The Rock as they do Lesnar? Or would Rock get away with it as he is still seen as a wrestling guy?

Nick from NJ,

John and Wai, one TV show that I donā€™t recall hearing you guys talk about is The Office (US). Are either of you a fan of the show? If so, who are your favorite characters or moments?

Mark from Vaughan

If you had to bet your life savings that a current NXT talent would headline WrestleMania within the next 3 years, who would you pick? Iā€™m going with Velveteen Dream, as heā€™s the closest thing to the total package they have at the moment. Honourable mention for Aleister Black.

I just love hearing opinions on this because the discussion can be hilariousā€¦ is a hot dog a sandwich? Itā€™s meat between two pieces of bread so I vote yes.

Do you foresee the city of Toronto hosting a Wrestlemania in the future? If no, what are the obstacles from preventing that to happen?

Imran from Huddersfield

After all their stuff at E3, is there any actual realistic chance we could see The New Day vs. The Elite in a wrestling ring without WWE having to sign Omega & The Young Bucks? Or is that just wishful thinking from Woods/The Bucks etc.

1 Like

WAI What is going on with Total Bellas!? The timeline is all over the place.
We start with Cena and Nicky breaking up around the time of Raw 25 and at first we arenā€™t sure if this is one of the rumoured break ups or the official one. We then find out this is THE breakup with Brie mentioning on her way to a meet and greet that her publicist is breaking the news. We see Cena on Kathy and Hoda talking about the breakup with Nicky and Bries reaction As we know all of this happened post Wrestlemania but pre-Greatest Royal Rumble. So already a fabrication of time. Fast forward to this weeks ep and we are getting Bryanā€™s clearance for Wrestlemania!? How can I be invested and buy in to this as being REALITY when there are obvious holes in the narrative! It just makes me think is any of this real!? I welcome johns thoughts too.

Iā€™ve herd many former wrestlers on various podcast or YouTube interviews speak about ā€œWrestlerā€™s Courtā€. Normally they would say a senior wrestler (eg Undertaker) was the ā€œJudgeā€ and talk about paying a fine with bottles of alcohol.

If possible can you explain a little on how this all works, if it still happens in WWE today, and how the company may feel about this?

When is Jordan Breen going to get his own monthly NWA/WCW review show on Post Wrestling (with you both rotating as cohosts)? The man needs catharsis.

John, before the World Cup, fans in the U.K. were warned about travelling to Russia and it was painted as a dangerous place. However, those who travelled have said overwhelmingly that it is a lovely friendly place.

When you were covering the combat games a few years ago, were you given similar warnings, and what was your experience like? Thanks

1 Like

John & Wai, thoroughly enjoying the Post Wrestling output (in particular the non-wrestling MCU movie reviews) keep up the good work.

Question ā€“

Why do you think the WWE Have not sold TV viewing rights for a live weekly NXT show to another broadcasting company?

Given the crazy deals ($) secured for RAW and SD it would seem good business for WWE to sell the further rights to broadcasting NXT. Obviously the NXT brand would not command the same level of deals as the two flagship shows, though with many TV broadcasters craving live content there must be a profitable deal available for NXT if they switch to weekly live shows?

Thanks again.

James (UK)

Hello. Could you ever see the WWE doing a G1 style tournament with a points system, lasting several months and culminating with the winner receiving a title shot at, perhaps, Summerslam. I think this would be a great way to keep fans invested during the lull between Wrestlemania and Summerslam, but could they pull it off given their current lack of long term booking? And would this type of thing get over with the majority of WWE fans?

Wes from Winnipeg.

Scientific question:
Say youā€™re handling your business in a #2 situation. When you finish up do you wipe standing or sitting? Apparently Americaā€™s population is split nearly half and half!
Love all the extra content, keep it up!

Mj

What caused New Japan to grow into a more common promotion for Gaijiin and the western world? With so many promotions there who did NJPW become the one that gained such popularity in North America.

Also, so you see a day where Wwe opens their boarders and works with guys on a part time basis the way New Japan has embraced Jericho and Mysterio? I keep thinking this is what will happen with the Bucks and Omega.

1 Like

How do you think that New Japan manages to avoid staleness when they burn through a huge amount of fresh match-ups every year at the G1?

PS Really appreciating the work you guys are putting into covering every G1 show. Iā€™m just watching every match for the first time this year & Iā€™m feeling the pressure to keep up!