ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Scott from Toronto

NJPW has been very focused on appealing to western audiences through increasing the number of live shows in the US and ramping up English commentary on NJPW World. Do you foresee a situation where the tone and feel of the product ends up changing to feel more like a North American project?

It’s great they’re trying to make the product more available at a global level. I just don’t want to see what makes it special get lost in an attempt to appeal to a larger audience.

Neeraj from Delaware

I listened to the Slammiversary show a couple days ago, and became interested in it after listening to how high you were on the show. When I went to their website though, I realized that buying the PPV replay would be the only way to watch it, as new Impact PPVs are not posted for a while on the GWN streaming service. Conditioned by the WWE Network and NJPW World, I am not willing to drop $40 for just a PPV. My question is, do you think that Impact needs to move towards a streaming service that has live events on it, in order to continue their comeback, or is the $40 per PPV model fine for them because they are only holding a few per year?

A question for the Starrcast audience. By a show of hands what is John Pollock’s best wrestling impression?

1. Vince McMahon
  2. Anderson Silva
  3. Gabe Sapolsky
  4. Chyna
3 Likes

Anderson Silva’s tickle me elmo voice fo sho!

2 Likes

Jesse from Tulsa

A lot has been said over the years on why Bret Harts run in WCW was considered a failure. Eric Bischoff says that after the “screwjob,” Bret Harts heart(see what I did there?)was not in the business anymore. Bret
says that’s ridiculous and it’s because of the writing and who was in charge at the time that it failed. I happen to believe there’s a little bit of truth in both those answers. Looking back on it 20 years later, in you guys opinion, what happened? Was Bret Hart so pissed off at the business at the time that he didn’t care anymore or did Eric Bischoff sign him with no idea on what they were going to do with him? It seems to me at the time, coming out of the Survivor Series, the writing for Bret Hart would’ve been pretty simple to write

Any new shows you guys have gotten into or meant to?

I’ve been watching on Netflix the Toys that Made Us (old toy franchise documentary) and Liquid Science hosted by GZA. And then on Hulu I’ve been wanting to watch Castle Rock (based on the Stephen King novels and movies)

Are you guys into horror movies at all? Any favorite movies or franchises ?

Brandon from Oshawa

With the success of All In and Wrestlemania weekend, do you guys see the WWE ever booking a similar show of their own, with all indie workers, that are not under WWE contract?

Do you see a time when you’ll be able to get the WWE network without a cable package in Canada? Is this due to the 10 year Rogers deal?

Have either of you watched The Staircase? Any thoughts on the series, whether he did it, etc? Personally the ‘owl theory’ which isn’t covered in the show seems the most nonsensical yet plausible explanation.

I’ve just started reading Crazy Like a Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later and noticed that John got a thank you from the author for his help. I was wondering what was your input towards the book and how did it come about?

Let’s say you can go back to the 90s and change some things out of these 4 stars who do you think would of benefited the most and been most successful wrestling full time in Japan. Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Triple H or The Rock?

Edit: my original question was about Shinsuke Nakamura and his contract situation, but John has basically answered it on other shows since I posted it.

So, a more personal question, when booking a vacation are you guys more interested in going somewhere warm and relaxing or somewhere that’s good for site seeing, perhaps known for its food and steeped in history? Personally prefer the latter but my girlfriend is all about pool days and chilling on the beach, so our trips are always compromises (as in, she gets what she wants and I get sand).

Imran from Huddersfield

Are either of you a fan of any of these sitcoms? Brooklyn Nine Nine, Modern Family, Fresh off the Boat or It’s Always Sunny?

John have you ever watched Zack Morris is trash? They are shorts by the funny or die team.

Bill & Alex in Orlando

After a successful sign night in Miami for John have we now reached the saturation point for signs & heads? We love doing it but if you think it’s time to “retire the gimmick”just say the word.

A couple of questions

John, did you watch Hereditary and if so did you like this type of horror better than The Conjuring?
Have you seen It follows as well?

Wai, if you become a father one day. When would you or would you at all let the child touch your lego? :joy:
What type of comedy do you like? Are you into what Sasha Baron Cohen is doing?

Marc From Paris, Ontario here:

I very much miss the comic book reviews you did for a while. I’m wondering if you would consider looking at other wrestling-related media for some of your reviews? Things like comic books related to wrestling and movies with wrestlers in them?

For example Swerve by Jon Judy and Dexter Wee and the Boom Studios WWE comics are very good and do some interesting stuff with the topic as do biographical comics like Andree The Giant: Closer to Heaven and Andree The Giant: Life and Legend by Torontonian Box Brown.

I know you both love getting a break from wrestling video from time to time and this seems like it would be a good fit and something your fans would dig as there is a lot of crossover between wrestling fans and comic fans.

Also, Wrestlers in feature films even WWE studios stuff is something I love hearing you guys do. Santa’s Sleigh may have been a high point! So wrestling content in other media like comics and films - is it on the books for review?

Also, I recently saw Wai at Slammiversary and got him a drink - what do you guys like to drink for when fans bump into you at events and want to say thanks?

1 Like

Alex From Minneapolis
2 questions

1. John, you mentioned in passing during the wrestle kingdom 9 show that if today you were offered an announcing gig, you wouldnt take it. just curious if being overproduced has anything to do with.
  2. do you guys think AJ losing to Jericho at Mania 32 was because Vince was still not convinced that he was a draw? it made no sense for Jericho to win since he would lose 2 ppvs in a row to Ambrose and is established that wins arent necessary for him at this stage

(Max in Seattle)

I’ve been re-watching late 90s ECW PPVs recently and have been really enjoying The Triple Threat.
To steal the BiIl Simmons gimmick of over/under/properly rated, I would say they’ve become underrated as a stable, and I am curious about your thoughts about their place in wrestling history.

Jesse from the 6

Last month you discussed the troubles the WWE has staging a show in a country whose currency is less valuable than the United States’ (eg. Canada).
But I was wondering, how much does the WWE have to pay out in the local currency? I know the performers all get paid in USD, but what about the rest of the crew? And then there’s the rental costs to run a facility, which would be in the local currency.

Basically, what I’m asking is, how many locals does WWE hire to put on a show vs. how many travel with the WWE? Does WWE have their own camera operators, audio techs, ring crew, key grips, security, medical staff? Do they all travel to the location or are there some (many?) locals who are hired in each different town?

Take Care