ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

You’ve interviews a who’s who of wrestling and MMA stars and legends, is there anyone left on your wish list of interviewees, and do you ever get star struck?

If you guys were on Death Row (God Forbid)
What would be your final meal ?

• Starter
  • Main Course
  • Desert
  • Choice of Beverage
1 Like

Nick from NJ

On the current roster which heels do you think would better serve as faces and which faces do you think would make for better heels.

Kevin from Portland, Oregon

My dad will be joining me for “All In” and “Starrcast,” which will be the first wrestling events we’ll have attended together since back in 1999, when I was nine and he brought my brother and I to a taping of WCW Thunder. He doesn’t keep up with wrestling, but was interested in seeing how the industry has changed since then. Related to this, I was curious if either of you have a favorite memory from sharing wrestling with a family member or friend who may not have been following the product at the time?

P.S. Any tips on how to describe Joey Ryan’s gimmick to my dad?

Thoughts on making the Wrestle Kingdom main event title vs career? Tanahashi is the last man to win the title at the dome, and no G1 winner has yet, so the Ace trying to make history one last time for all the marbles sounds pretty compelling.

Just wondered if the WWE law suit with CM Punk & Cabana has affected your approach to podcasting?

For example - Are you mindful choosing your words carefully when reporting news and offering potentially critical opinions of the WWE, particularly if you interview former WWE employees.

Thanks

James (UK)

Wai, I know your thoughts on the Marvel Cinematic Universe but what about the DC Extended Universe? Have you seen any of the films and have any suggestions to make them as effective and entertaining as Marvel?

John, have you watched any DC movies, tv shows cartoons? Any connection to DC?

1 Like

John, have you ever considered writing a book?

1 Like

Hey guys, just finished the Bret Hart book upon John’s request and it was excellent. Any questions that have come out of the book have pretty much been answered within the ten years since it came out. One that I could think of that I haven’t heard anyone ask before is: say creatively everything went exactly the same way up until Survivor Series 1997 (don’t worry, this is not a question about going further into Montreal), but Bret never EVER went to WCW. What role (or storylines) do you think Bret could have been apart of (or had) throughout the rest of his career with the company?

Also, Vince told Bret he couldn’t uphold his contract because the company was losing money; an obvious lie. There must have been other ways to open up space for Vince’s future plans, so (if you can get into 1997 Vince’s mind a little bit); What do you think his actual reason was? (Sorry about this one, as it probably has been answered before)

My thoughts: While many think that the Vince character would not have been the same with Bret there, I think that he and the Foundation could have been a great counterpart to Austin’s rise. Eventually the New Foundation could have teamed with Vince, making for better matches during the time. The match quality we now look back upon could have been much better going through different members of the Foundation. While The Rock and Austin rose to the main event, I don’t think Bret would had any probably being put in an upper-mid card position, helping out a lot of guys he helped get signed to the company in the first place.

1 Like

Ian from Watlington (Watt/Ling/Ton), England.

I think the general assumption is that interest in NJPW is increasing. Have the numbers for the G1 series of shows supported this assumption? If you compare to previous years when you worked for [NAME REDACTED], does there appear to be an increasing interest in New Japan or is it just the hardcore audience now having access to more content without an increase in that specific audience?

Also, if I can sneak in a 2nd question on the back end, what were the best and worst things for Wai (John too), about participating in the marathon that was the G1 this summer.

Thanks for your coverage, I listened to all the shows and thoroughly enjoyed using POST Wrestling as my vehicle for consumption.

Brett in Vancouver

First time, long time, at least since the move to POST. Love all the shows, happy to see you guys doing so well on your own, happy to be a member.

I’ve been randomly watching some WWE 2009 stuff and I’m wondering what ever happened to the Orton punt? That move was incredibly over and took out everyone of any value, I think it might be useful for him today.

Was it eliminated because it was dangerous? Or was it just a character gimmick/trait that WWE decided to drop? In the same vein, the curb stomp was gone (I assumed just based on the bad connotation of the name) but it’s been brought back, any chance the punt has a similar fate?

Keep up the great work!

Do you guys follow much boxing ?
Thoughts on heavyweights such as Joshua, Wilder and Fury ?

Alex here from Maple

I’ve just go into NJPW and I’m very confused by all these multi man matches. It seems that each show (like the upcoming Destruction) has a bunch of what seem like pointless multi man matches without any real story or purpose and 1 big singles match. WWE matches, even multi man, have some story. These seem very arbitrary. Do you know why this is done, I find myself just fast forwarding most of these?

Hi guys
How much creative control do you think Triple H actually has in terms of the final say over the product especially when it comes to SmackDown

Or do you think Vince constantly changes things die looting Triple H”s influence

Thanks very much Nick from London

Nick from London
Hi guys
What are the chances of impact getting a better TV deal somewhere down the line Because I feel is really hampering them in terms of chances to grow

Mark from Adelaide, Australia.

Hi guys,

Just wondering whether you might be checking out the next season of Survivor airing in September as one of the contestants is going to be none other than Johnny Nitro/Mundo/Impact.

Alfredo from Paris, TX here.

How did you guys learn to identify and name so many wrestling moves? I barely know the difference between a lariat and a clothesline, and I don’t know what’s so “German” about a “German Suplex.” And then there’s all the variations and uniquely named wrestler-specific finishers. I don’t really learn much while watching WWE since the commentators that aren’t Mauro don’t really call many moves. The only thing I can think to do is to go through the list of moves in a wrestling video game’s character creator. Is there a better way?

I’ve been watching a series about FMW on YouTube and it appears that Jado & Gedo (current NJPW bookers) appeared quite a lot in the mid 90’s. Then from watching the style of matches I noticed some similarities in the style, in particular the wild brawling into the crowd and use of the guard rails which have become standard in NJPW, especially at the G1. Do you know if Gedo has ever acknowledged who his booking influences are and have you both noticed anything like this in NJPW?

There’s a Wai debate on Starrcast, apparently!

2 Likes

Hugh from Melbourne here.
WWE stated that over 50 women will be involved with Evolution Do you think the “50 women” includes referees, commentary, interviewers and other roles aside from wrestlers? And how many matches do you think will be on the card? Personally, one match I’d like to see is a cross-brand match with Ember Moon calling out Asuka one last time, I still think Ember should have beaten the streak.