ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Given the time in between shows, I figured I could post a second question. With Disney+ coming out, and Disney owing a chunk of ESPN; Do you see any UFC shows on ESPN+/ESPN, that also air on Disney+?

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

Another AEW question for you - After the press conference and the huge promises of everything they are going to do - apart from business deals with Saudi Arabia, what is one thing you don’t want to see from the promotion as it goes forward? For me I hope they don’t constantly take shots at the WWE, and instead concentrate on their own stuff, as opposed to saying how things are crap at the WWE and why they’re better etc. Stuff like that always just comes across as being very small time to me.

What are some small changes that Bellator could make to draw in higher viewership? Do you feel as though their presentation is too similar to the UFC’s, and if so, is that beneficial?

Steven from Stouffville.

To me, I think the portrayal of women in the WWE is a detriment to potential women fans. I use my wife as an example who this past week was really turned off by the Alexa and then Mandy/Naomi segment. These are more-so catered to a male audience than what females would really do in situations like that. I don’t know how it would be if I had a daughter and trying to watch WWE in how the women were portrayed.

What do you guys think?

Hey guys, the “Other Chris from Melbourne, Although I Think the Original Chris from Melbourne May Have Moved and Become Chris from Queensland. (Which is funny, because I’m originally from Queensland and I moved to Melbourne)” here.

What do you think is happening with the Undertaker? Is he set to do anything at this year’s Wrestlemania? Or perhaps skip this Mania, and focus towards a Survivor Series retirement match?

Given the Melbourne and Saudi matches, I can’t see him having many performances left, but I also don’t want the Saudi match to have been the last.

1 Like

Warren from Ottawa,

With WWE expanding into other countries like the U.K. and more possibly in the future, do you think they are opening themselves up to a government looking at the “Employee vs Independent Contractor” issue?

Matt from GA

With the increase in talent in the WWE and the battle for talent across the wrestling world now with AEW, ROH, etc all vying for signatures, do you possibly see WWE increasing NXT’s television time and/or finding a television home in the near future to give them an edge on the competition? Also, any thoughts on WWE possibly integrating NXT into the brand split this year to give some talent on WWE main programming (i.e. Tyler Breeze) more prominent roles in NXT where they can be better utilized and allow the likes of Ricochet and others to jump to the main roster?

Thanks!

Seen as we haven’t had an update in a while, is John still playing baseball mogul?
Also other than the upcoming Marvel movies is there any other movies you’re looking forward to going to see?

Hi John and Wai. As a first time father to a four week old baby boy I was wondering if John has any key purchases or resources to support parenting that he could recommend? Cheers lads. Robin from London.

John, did you catch the finale of Passions? Gwen finally gets hers. And since her marriage with Ethan was annulled, a certain Lopez-Fitzgerald reaps the benefits :fire::fire::hearts::hearts::fire::fire:

Hey John and Wai,

Who are your top five commentators of all time (play by play or colour) and how would you rank them? My personal rankings are

1. Lance Russell
  2. Jim Ross (Mid-South/JCP/WCW days)
  3. Jim Cornette
  4. Bob Caudle
  5. Paul (E. Dangerously) Hayman

Boyd (East Kilbride - Scotland)

P.S. Any chance of one of those down arrow buttons to take you to the bottom of this thread as I’m getting RSI in my thumb scrolling down the screen. :+1:

I myself have always had the thought in the back of my mind of starting a wrestling promotion, and have always believed that, being in Australia, there’s a niche market there that could make a significant change in the Australian scene. My question for you guys is do you think creating a US-based promotion in 2019 is a bad financial move, if the goal is to grow to a semi-notable size and not stay as a small-time, loval federation?

Is FITE.TV the YouTube of the wrestling world? It seems as if it’s getting weekly TV and PPVs from nearly all the major wrestling promotions outside of WWE and TNA. Honestly seems as if they have the monopoly on it, and that it is a better route than creating a single-promotion streaming service (as point I remember John making a while ago).

1 Like

I have noticed Wai and I have a similar interest in music when we were younger. Wai, what is your favourite Weezer song and why? Have you heard their cover version of scrubs by TLC? Also, what was your best live music experience?

John, hi! I don’t have much history with Aqua. Thanks guys!

Brandon from Ottawa

Hey guys! Long time supporter, first time question… asker.

I’ll be making the trek down to Toronto for SummerSlam weekend this year. I believe Davie and Braden talked about an NXT Takeover pre show party but do you have any plans for a live podcast or meetup? Or will you both be attending the proposed upNXT tailgate?

1 Like

Jesse from the 6

NOTE- I wrote this question BEFORE Pedro Morales died. Feel free to skip it if you feel you’ve already covered this topic or if you find it insensitive.

What do you think is Pedro Morales’s place in wrestling history?

He was the WWWF Champion for nearly three years, yet his reign is often cited (when it’s cited at all) as not very successful in a business sense when compared to Bruno Sammartino’s two reigns. This is often followed with the explanation that the Puerto Rican demographic was not as strong in the Northeast as the Italian-American demo.

During the wrestling boom of the 1980’s, Morales was back with the WWF, but unlike Bruno and Billy Graham he was not portrayed as a seldom-wrestling legend. Nor did he disappear from the business as did Bob Backlund. Morales was just there; essentially used as enhancement talent, losing to cheating heels on Saturday Night’s Main Event or WWF Championship Wrestling and Gorilla would casually mention his previous title reign.

It always struck me as odd. Why was Morales never portrayed as a legend? To this day he seems largely forgotten.

Take Care

Should AEW try to sign underutilized and potentially disgruntled WWE mid-card wrestlers (Dolph Ziggler is the example the comes to mind, but there are plenty more) in the hopes of getting the attention of the more casual fan? Or should AEW be only focusing on signing talent that has not yet been exposed to the casual WWE fan, in the hopes of presenting a completely different product to the WWE? I think a bit of a mix is ideal, but I am not sure if getting into a bidding war with WWE on mid-card talent is a good strategy.

Sartorialism from England

Hi John & Wai, apologies for the slightly morbid question but i noticed after Gene Okerlund died at the beginning of the year John had a detailed obituary up very shortly after the news broke (if i recall correctly).

Like major publications do you have obituaries for significant figures pre-written and dedicate time to keep them updated or do you put them together as and when? If they’re pre-written, who is the youngest or perhaps most surprising person you have an obituary for?

Thanks

Do you guys have any interesting Post Wrestling stories that we have never heard before? Original ideas that never came to fruition for example? Additionally; when you two had initially thought about leaving TFN to start Post Wrestling, was the idea to have it is it is now, producing several podcast episodes a week as your entire content strategy? Or were there other ideas that were kicked around that were different to what we see today?

Ari from montreal
Is tyron woodley the most underrated champion in ufc history? I feel like he gets no love yet he has been very consistent with his performences and i feel like he gets no real recognition.

1 Like