ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

How do you rate AJ Styles’ WWE tenure thus far? He’s had lengthy title reigns and standout matches with Cena, Lesnar and Reigns, but has had underwhelming feuds and matches with Owens, Nakamura, Ambrose, Joe and now Bryan.
What does it also say that his best matches have been with guys associated with the ‘WWE style’, and not the indie and Japanese talent you’d traditionally associate with a more exciting in ring style.

1 Like

Are you guys going to Vegas for Double or Nothing? If so, are you doing any sort of live podcast?

Imran from Huddersfield

Do you think there’s any merit in having a complete underdog win the Rumble one year? Not just for the surprise value, but as a way to move someone up to main event level - say someone like a NxT call up (Aleister Black), or a mid carder that could be elevated (like Big E). Obviously the idea should be that you’re already over or on the brisk of main event level before winning it - but with two titles around I do think the Rumble could be used as the tool to start someone’s push, plus it would add to the idea that anyone could actually win the Rumble, as opposed to three or four proper contenders every year.

If the Dean Ambrose stuff is indeed on the up-and-up and he’s legitimately leaving at the end of April, A) where do you see him going? and B) where do you see him as the best fit?

I find that many hardcore fans and reviewers seem to have a distaste for him (and clearly he didn’t like his direction either), but it’s hard to deny that he had a very deep crowd connection up until this botched heel turn; I mention this because, even if he is not the in-ring worker that some of the top players are today, it would be short-sighted to deny the probable value he brings to any other promotion. The most obvious link to make would be that he is contractually free just in time for Double or Nothing, but I don’t know who he fits against. Conversely, I could see him as a perfect fit as the top guy in Impact, as they don’t really seem to have one right now and he really excels in regards to the character aspect, which is where Impact seems focused; with that said, and I say this as a fan, is Impact really the place for anyone with buzz to appear right now? Regardless, I wonder where you see him going if you consider where he gets the most money, where he draws the most eyes, and where he has the best programs and matches.

Ari from montreal
Do you think there should be more factions in wwe? Just look at undisputed era or in njpw with their factions and tht success including merch sales

In your estimation what is WWE’s motivation behind seemingly throwing out classic rules like time limits and in-ring 10-counts? It seems silly to me to squander such useful storytelling tools.

My thought is laziness, but I’d like to think there’s a better reason.

How do you now feel watching and reviewing Chris Benoit matches?

Has the passing of time and quantity you have watched, made it easier since the early episodes of review a wai?

Any advice for those who want to create podcast and entertainment for the internet who haven’t yet started or are yet to crack through the glass ceiling?

1 Like

Hey guys,

Do you know how many buys Impact PPVs have been doing lately or how much money they are making from them? I cant imagine the buy rates are very high at this point.

Do you think given the way the business is going, it is wiser for them to offer the PPVs on the GWN even at a premium tier at like 10 or 11 dollars per month instead of PPVs in order to build their audience and the GWN over the long term? Even ROH offers their PPVs on Honor Club if you sign up for the Premium VIP for $120 per year. Impact’s strategy seems strange given the existence of GWN.

Thanks!

Chris, from Queensland Australia.

1. Were you two, or any former member of the LAW, offered a job at Impact Wrestling in any capacity either while employed under a sub-branch of Anthem (the Fight Network) or after the end of the LAW?

2. I know watching Wrestling is now your full time job but is there any wrestling / wrestling related shows that you watch in your free time that you don’t talk about on the shows? (Recently I watched an episode of “Louis Theroux’s Weird Weekends” from 1999 where he visits WCW Monday Nitro & the WCW Power Plant, have you ever seen this?)

There was an old Review A Wai for that show, you can find it here: https://media.reviewawai4.life/0090%20Weird%20Weekend.mp3

2 Likes

Anthony from Melbourne

I was wondering if it ever got out what the storyline direction was after Crown Jewel for DX and Brothers of Destruction? I can’t imagine it was supposed to end there, none of those guys have worked since and I could see HBK being planned to work again after that match. Now it seems like he won’t work again at all.

I heard a rumor they may pick up from the HBK, Daniel Bryan story line for mania but with Bryan’s heel character, Recycler Rowan in his corner and him having the belt, none of that seems to fit what was a over the hill heel trainer jealous of his babyface protoje’s success.

If still relevant, I can see flairs birthday celebration being done to start a HHH, Batista feud for Mania which is going to be hard to pull off with HHH’s character at the moment.

Matt in the 604

Wai and John,

Name a movie that when it comes on tv you end up watching it.

(John will say that he doesn’t really watch tv, but there must have been a time that you did)

In Jericho’s AEW podcast he said Vince didn’t actually provide him an offer to counter AEW’s offer for reasons he understands but would not discuss, any idea what they would be?

Rumors suggest they threw their best offers in history at the Bucks and are offering to double any written offer to currently contracted wrestlers to re-sign. Jericho is arguably AEW’s biggest get, I don’t see why Vince wouldn’t have done the same just to keep him from going there?

With Naito declaring that he will be a double champion in January, should he lose the IC title along the way to someone like a ZSJ, and then chase it? It would show how his relationship to the title has changed.

Coming off my much-loved appearance on Review-A-Wai discussing King of the Ring 2002, one thing that stayed on my mind was the crusierweight division, as we compared the 2002 usage versus the 2019 usage. My question is; what is the most effective use of the crusierweight division? Should they have their own show in 205 Live? Should they mix with NXT talent more? Should their be tag titles? And, more important than all of those, what can WWE take from New Japan’s usage of the junior heavyweight division, specifically with the call-up to the heavyweight division?

How important is it for you guys to record your RAW, SmackDown and PPV reviews right after they end? Have you considered recording the next morning instead for any reason?

Jake from The Windy City

Was there ever a specific reason as to why Lorenzo Fertitta decided to leave the MMA business?

What’s the latest on that class action lawsuit with all those ex WWE wrestlers? I haven’t heard anything in a long time.

Given that one of Ric Flair’s most famous phrases is “To be the man, you gotta beat the man!”, do you feel like he will be involved in convincing Charlotte to add Becky to the match (Birthday Celebration)? If so, what do you see Ric Flair’s role at Wrestlemania being, and will we see each woman have a man in their corner like Natalya vs Charlotte on NXT?