ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Not a question…but just wanted the mention that I think everyone should listen to the ‘Toronto Miked’ Podcast episode with the 2 of you.
What a great podcast - How much great free stuff did you both get - how was the lasagna?
Really fun listen, I think fans should check it out.

1 Like

Here’s the scenario:

A film company gave you a huge budget to make a documentary film about a person in the wrestling business. That person can be a wrestler, promoter, booker, manager, etc.

The only guideline is you can’t choose a household name known to non-wrestling fans like Hogan or Macho Man, and you can’t choose someone who casual wrestling fans would probably be very familiar with.

Who do you make your documentary about?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Love your shows. Thanks for everything you do. 2 part question:

Do you think that in 2020 there’s any way to get over a “Savage from Parts Unknown” style gimmick? Growing up I really loved those type of Kamala/Umaga characters, but it seems like at this point that ship has sailed.

And related to that, how would you book an “unstoppable monster” type character? I think most it us would agree that early 90s Undertaker sitting up after devastating moves was great. So why does The Fiend doing the same thing feel so lame?

With all the talk of prospective talents leaving WWE for AEW, which talents could you see leaving AEW to sign with WWE down the road? Also besides WrestleKingdom and other wrestling events, what are you guys most excited about in regards to your trip to Japan? I went last year to Tokyo for the Dome Show and had an amazing time and hope you guys have an awesome trip!

When do you see Toronto getting a NJPW show? And would you rather it be a G1 or a show like Royal Quest?

Favourite year of wrestling in the 2010’s?

Tyler from Orlando,

Hey guys, most people could probably agree that the top 2 wrestlers in New Japan are Okada & Kota Ibushi. Who is the 3rd best & why is it Tama Tonga?

1 Like

Greetings,

Hope you guys had a fantastic holiday? I just had a question. Do you think that something like announcing the main event of the next PPV on the night of a PPV or on backstage would be something that would benefit the WWE, similar to the way UFC does announce their cards?

To save on space I had another question would you guys prefer and or would the WWE considering scrapping the b-level ppvs and transition them over to make them raw and smackdown editions to boost a ratings in the future? I feel like b level PPVs are very skippable at best and would provide a boost to a rating for Raw or Smackdown.

Anyway have an awesome 2020 and thank you,
Jordan

David from Washington

Roman Reigns winning the 2015 Rumble was obviously highly disliked by a vast majority of fans. In hindsight do you two have any ideas on how they could’ve made that work short of Daniel Bryan not being around? Or was it just doomed to fail because everybody in that crowd wanted anybody but Roman to win?

Alex From Minneapolis

2 Questions

1. What would you guys pinpoint as the biggest differences of Gabe Sapolsky’s Booking style between his 02-08 ROH run and what hes done with Evolve/DGUSA?

2. Do you guys think WWE made a mistake in having Corey Graves replace JBL in 2017 and having him on both Raw and SD? up to that point he was recieving rave reviews but once the switch happened it felt as though he was overexposed and a tired voice on both brands

Charly from Maryland

Hey guys, Quick question. What are John Cena’s top 3 rivalries?
For me, it was Punk Vs Cena, Edge vs Cena, and AJ Styles vs Cena.

Thanks guys for your hard work and happy holidays!

Wai, have you ever attempted to master Tom Morellos toggle switch attack technique?

Jake from The Windy City

1. Becoming a fan of Kento Miyahara in All Japan coming out of the Champion Carnival, where do you see him going in the next few years because I believe he has unlimited amounts of potential in the Puroresu scene. Do you see him making the jump to New Japan facing the likes of Okada and Ibushi, or do you have the sense he will be the main-stay star of All Japan for the time being?

2. And speaking of All Japan, it seems like they don’t own the rights to their classic 80s/90s archives to put on their streaming service, is that correct?

1 Like

For an indie promotion, could a twice a week hourly program work better than a weekly two hour program in any way, shape or form?

James from Liverpool

Age’s ago you mentioned a book about British wrestling. It was called something along the lines of ‘Same Time Next Week’.

Do you remember the full name and author (and is it any good)?

If there’s a better book on the history of British Wrestling please let me know. Thanks

With the current wrestling climate, with WWE seeing record low numbers and AEW stalling out of the gates somewhat, have you conisdered if any of this is concerning long-term for your professional situation. In a sense, will the wrestling bubble burst? Or do you think the type of audience you attract is immune to the mainstream turnoff?

Ari from montreal
Would u guys think a deadpool like breaking the 4th wall gimick work? If so who could pull it off?

Anthony from Melbourne

With TLC feeling completely skip-able and poor Kairi, New Day and Revival killing themselves for almost no reason, it makes me wonder about the reported strategy of waiting to release PPV cards as close to the event as possible due to statistically most sign-ups occurring the day of the event.

I have not heard anyone speculate on my theory and would like to hear your thoughts. New sign ups to the Network get a 1 month free trial, so in the 30 day period of Money in The Bank 2019, you would have gotten NXT Takeover XXV and Super-Showdown, not to mention many big specials like 24, 365, etc are typically released right after a big event as well.

To me it seems to make sense that most people signing up to the network free or paying, would wait to subscribe until just before the PPV to get the most out of their 1 month period?

Surely someone in Connecticut is smart enough to see that people would be convinced to subscribe earlier and are most likely just holding off from actually subscribing. Event’s need to be promoted in the weeks leading in, as has always been the formula for promoting to build anticipation and create importance for the event, coming in and leading out of it as well.

Hey guys

Any thoughts on comic book runs in the past decade?

I found myself suffering from a ton of fatigue with various crisis’s and secret wars and stopped visiting my local shop to buy individual issues, I may read one or two titles at best monthly.

Wai, if you were to recommend John a specific comic run to read what would it be?

I think if I have a “favourite” it’d be the original uncanny xforce from Rick remender. I believe the leads (wolverine, dead pool, psylocke) were all written brilliantly and how I’ve always envisioned the characters

Tony Schiavone recently mentioned on his podcast about an encounter he had with some old school wrestling fans who were surprised to learn from him there was now wrestling on Wednesday nights. Is lack of awareness truly the reason neither NXT nor AEW are pulling in Raw and SmackDown numbers, or is it something else? Also, on a related note, could you see AEW spending money on a Super Bowl commercial?

Chris from Cork

The recent reveal of Liv Morgan as Lana’s lesbian lover on Raw has received a tremendous backlash from writers and fans, especially in the LGBT community, for being tasteless and done purely for shock value. While I agree with this, I find it difficult to envisage a way that this could be done tastefully in WWE. Nearly every relationship in wrestling history has been set up to have one member turn on the other, and few romantic partnerships have lasted.

With all that being said, my question is twofold. Do you think that a good storyline involving an LGBT relationship could be told by WWE, and if so, how would you like to see them book it?

Also, 1000th post in this thread! You guys have answered a LOT of questions. Thanks as always.