ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Alexander from Portland

RAW has been a three-hour show for a very long time and you continue to watch it week after week. It makes me curious, what are some of your favorite movies that are at least three hours? Do you think you could manage watching a three hour movie every week?

In all the years of travel you both have done, either for vacation or work covering MMA, wrestling events, etc. did either of you have any quirky or horrific hotel experiences?

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi guys,

If you had the time, access and inclination, what gap/gaps in your wrestling viewing history/knowledge would you like to fill?

Sal from California

When you go to a live wrestling show, do you find that you still get caught up in the action as a fan or is it all business? For example, at Wrestlemania XXX were you cheering and yelling when Bryan won the title or were you more focused on taking notes for the upcoming podcast?

Luk from Quebec!

This is a serious question: With all the progress made toward gender equality in wrestling, wouldn’t it be time to start calling it the “Men’s World Championship”? Either that, or to stop calling the women’s title the “Women’s Championship”. We already know which gender is competing for these belts, so why specify? It should be the same naming convention for both. This might seem like a really minor detail, but it presents the men’s title as the “default” and the women’s as the “other” title.

1 Like

Do you guys miss recording in person on a regular basis? Or thanks to the pandemic do you wish you got the idea of recording remotely much sooner due to convenience?

(post deleted by author)

Hello, guys! I just recently got a new job where I will be required to do a bit of public speaking and I’m a bit nervous about it. How did you get comfortable public speaking or having your voice recorded?

When Vince made his national expansion in the 80s it was almost like a cheat code to succeed when he raided the territories for the best talent and put them all in one place. Do you see any parallels between Vince snapping up the best of the territories and Tony Khan plucking the best from the indies/large free agent talent pool?

James from Liverpool here.

Congrats Wai, amazing news and good luck!
It’s the 27th June here and I’m only just listening to the Pollock and Ting Talk podcast from the 7th so I for one would prefer slightly less content. I know I dont have to listen to everything but I want to!
I enjoy the news but I don’t think I really need it so please sacrifice that before other things.

Your content is amazing but I now only listen to 2 podcasts, yourselves and Bedroom Beethovens (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and I struggle to keep up…It’s impossible when the G1 is on for me.

Thanks for all your hard work and hopefully one day I’ll chat t you guys, I’ve listened since the LAW but never got involved…yet.

Hello! Tain from Edinburgh, Scotland.

Any idea how the wrestlers make their way to the ring when it’s pitch black?

The best, current example would be the House of Black. The fact they appear on the entrance, with lighting, and then make their way into their exact positions in ring, with the lighting off really impresses me. So how do they do it??

(I did look online and and Reddit but couldn’t find a thread which answered it, so hopefully you two can answer).

Cheers.

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

There was a thread recently on twitter (link below) about the various aggressive/ruthless tactics that Vince used to “kill” the territories and establish WWF as the national federation - my question is, when the book of Vince is written, how negatively - if at all - will that part of his life/business be viewed? And if he didn’t do it, is it fair to say that somebody else would have done?

Also - quick aside - after your great review of Drive To Survive, I feel like “sporting documentaries” should be an acceptable choice for Review-A-Wai selections - especially as it seems like John in particularly enjoys watching documentaries on a range of Sports.

(https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1550836910360231945?s=21&t=gg-TH_4MSalmz-XX3IPfsA)

This question’s been asked before, but I loved the honesty and answers so much from last time; I wanted to hear an updated version! The last time Wai said Riddle while he was in NXT, John said Dean Ambrose before becoming Mox. Those two responses were great because those were 100% two of the more popular guys at the time online. With that being said, let’s hear the 2022 version of this. To help with some ideas, my answer personally would be Adam Cole.

Dude, what’s the question?

5 Likes

Wai, can you please white balance John’s backup webcam. Looks like I’m watching early ROH. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Hello guys,
I took a hiatus from wrestling and from listening to your current shows as I was very busy with work. Stayed a loyal patreon through the entire time though. Now I am catching up with a lot of stuff and just listened to the very first episode of Pollock & Ting Talk. I have two questions:

1. As a fan of Star Trek, I noticed that you used quite the obscur line of Jonathan Frakes from a random episode of Star Trek The Next Generation in the opener of the show. I am curious how the decision to use that line came about. Can you tell us a little bit about that?

2. In the end of the first episode you talked about people having negative reactions whenever you take something away from them for example hypothetically taking away ten minutes of Rewind a Dynamite. That made me wonder: how was it received back at the time when you decided to discontinue the Cafe Hangout?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Tenese from GA

Hi, John and Wai wondering your opinions on when is the fine line between paying homage to a wrestler or blatantly ripping them off? Take care.

Just listened to the Ms. Marvel episode 6 review. Excellent work from the four of you. When you two started Post, could you have ever imagined that you were creating a forum where people of all colors, races, nationalities, religions and ages are coming together to honestly discuss issues of the day?

I love the chances you take in programming because they pay off in the most refreshing and intellectual ways. Education, discussion and honesty lead to healing. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi guys, hope everyone is enjoying the summer. I wanted to ask about Jim Cornette for a while now. The more I listen to him, the less I feel I can wrap my head around his public persona. He’s everyone’s favorite grumpy old man, yet his critique is rarely stupid or unestablished. Many people respect his opinion, which seems right because he worked EVERYWHERE from the territories to WWF and then in indie promotions. I have been following his career for over 30 years, and it seems to me that everywhere he went, he was always a straight shooter. But then there’s his involvement in the Montreal scruejob and the ridiculous Meltzer feud (for lack of a better term). Can you enlighten me about Jim Cornette of 2022 so I can fully understand what’s happening here?

As Canadians that were alive in the 90s, what was it like being there for Wayne Gretzky’s peak years? I’m British so have no reference for ice hockey, but know he was a super-athlete on par with the Jordans/Ronaldos/Agassi’s etc.

If you’d indulge a quick bonus question, have either of you seen Jon Bois’ sports data documentaries for SB Nation? His film with Felix Biederman, Fighting in the Age of Loneliness, is a great cultural analysis of MMA and late capitalism. (It’s great, believe me!)