ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Thoughts on the MCU news from Comic Con? Apologies if you’ve gone over this perhaps on a G1 show I’ve missed.

What are some of the things about black and gold NXT you hope the new regime bring to Raw and Smackdown?

Anthony from Melbourne

Just wanted to say I will miss the daily news show, I have no idea how yous managed to put out such amazing content on that schedule for that long but it was good while it lasted.

I am hopeful once Wai is back you guys can bring a scaled down version of the news back. Some adjustments I thought of to make it more manageable would be not doing the show live, having more fill-in hosts, skip weekends and amalgamate news into review shows again. It would still mean 2 extra shows a week so ultimately it all depends on what is achievable for you guys as work/life balance is very important.

The main reason I am hopeful your news reporting returns is I really respect your integrity in reporting and not using click-bait spoiler filled headings. I mostly consume my wrestling news while driving, so having an audio form was amazing for me. I found myself no longer watching YouTube channels that create stories out of rumours and use misleading headings to get views, anything you guys report feels genuine and trustworthy and I really value that!

A loaded question (feel free to skip as theres a good chance you have already covered off on a lot of this).

Do you think Vince’s departure hurts AEW?

I ask because I think there will be renewed interest in WWE from the fans including those who had given up on WWE and were only watching AEW. It also gives talent a more optimistic view on their chances in WWE such as MJF having more leeway to be MJF, especially if RAW does change to TV-14.

Also, do you think there were ulterior reasons for the departure of Stephanie and Hunter from their previous roles? If you look at their reasons for leaving those roles, it makes no sense for them to be taking on their current roles.

Thanks again for all your hard work and I hope Wai enjoys some well deserved time off!

1 Like

With all the talk of impending fatherhood. What has been the been your favourite wrestling storyline involving a Dad?
Cheers and good luck! Dan from London

2 Likes

Hi John and Wai - Hope you are having nice day. Did either of you interact with or know the members of The Basketball Jones podcast (Tas Melas, Jason Doyel, JE Skeets, Matt Osten) when you were at Ryerson/TMU? They’ve later gone on to be the Starters at NBA TV with Trey Kerby and Leigh Ellis and No Dunks at The Athletic. Wondering if my favorite wrestling podcasters ever crossed paths with my favorite basketball podcasters.

Will in Chicago

I know that Wai loves Saga and it is the only comic book he is currently buying monthly.

I wanted to know what Characteristics of Vaughan’s writing you find enjoyable, annoying, interesting etc.

Also, what is your top Bkv book other than Saga? Any interest in the Paper Girls prime TV series?

Also, hi John! Love your parenting advice since adding baby 2 to your brood.

Have a great summer guys!

Did Yujiro Takahashi ever have a “good” run in njpw? Been watching since 2017 and man it’s been rough. Especially his G1 runs.

Joe B

1 Like

Jesse from the 6

I have some questions about “Black Saturday” that I hope you’ll be able to shed some light upon.

1. Did Vince McMahon buy all of Georgia Championship Wrestling, part of GCW, or did he just buy the timeslot somehow?

2. If Vince did indeed buy GCW outright, did he not get any wrestlers out of the purchase? I’m only aware of Jack and Gerry Brisco working a handful of matches for the Fed before Jack left and Gerry moved behind the scenes.

3. Did WWF actually run shows in Georgia during this time? In my mind, the Georgia territory was quickly subsumed by Jim Crockett Promotions, but was there a year period when the state was dominated by WWF live events?

Thank you for your time.
Take Care

1 Like

A common question asked of wrestling Dads is ‘would you let your child become a wrestler?’

My question to Wai is, would you want your child to follow in your footsteps, specifically around the Post-Production side of things, or would you suggest they follow in their mother’s footsteps?

ALL THE BEST MY FRIEND

Do you feel that ROH is a promotion that wrestling fans claimed to have followed just from name recognition? Specifically, was ROH a promotion that a very vocal minority potentially propped up for likely over a decade? It feels very telling that the ROH name is so low on AEW that it only gets its time on Rampage at best.

Love what you guys do. I listen to a ton of podcasts and one topic i hear brought up by many people is the LA dojo from 20 years ago. The names that were assembled. Nakamura. Machida. Danielson anderson. Romero. Joe. Etc. Is there a documentary or book or podcast done on that time with all that talent that you can suggest? Im fascinated on finding something to refer to. If not does that topic interest you in doing something on it? Article, podcast or Book? Thanks fellas.

Anthony from Detroit

What are your thoughts on Stadium shows? Does it look better for the WWE to have 35,000 people in a football stadium that holds 70,000 or 15,000 in a sold out NHL arena? I get it for Mania or overseas shows but I prefer the intimate confines of arenas for the in person and tv experience.

Mannie from pacoima

John and Wai, the two of you have each started your own f1 rival team. Who are each of you choosing as your 2 drivers?

Miguel from LA

Hi John and Wai,
Obviously AEW can and should do more with their women division. In my opinion, they have made improvements with the wrestlers they’ve signed and now we see women involved in multiple storylines.
AEW most always have the women wrestlers on at the 9:30 time slot. I have seen many people say this is a bad time slot. Do you guys know why is it a bad time slot?

1 Like

Hello! I wanted to ask you two on the 2-3 changes you would make to AEW’s presentation. This can be for PPVs or TV shows. For example, a change I would like to see is less segments on an episode of Dynamite so an angle can breathe.

Hey guys,

Before my son, Walter, was born we knew the sex and told our family. The only thing we kept until he was born was the name. (Took my wife some convincing)
John, did you find out the sex of your kids before they were born and tell others, or did you wait to be surprised?
Wai, have you found out yet or are you waiting to be surprised?

Roy from Rhode Island

Insomuch as you’re comfortable doing, could you discuss your relationship with your siblings?

How important have these relationships been to you?

How have changed as you’ve grown up?

In Wai’s case, how have you been able to maintain that relationship while being in different countries for so many years?

It seems like since Cody’s departure from AEW, we’re hearing more stories leaking out about strife and disagreements between Tony Khan and some talents.

I.e. Johnathan Gresham, Brian Cage, and a few other murmurs about others.

Do y’all think Cody’s backstage role could have also been, not necessarily linked to talent relations and apart from his role In AEW’s philanthropy, but as someone that helped contextualize booking choices to talent, making the creative more relatable?

If so, could it be one of those weird situations that affect the talent’s confidence in the promotion’s creative and the security they feel about their futures in AEW?

Alexander from Portland

With Vince McMahon out of WWE I’m really curious how the main roster is booked under Triple H creative, but one area I’m more curious about is the music. Vince has had a love affair with AC/DC and has constantly used music by Flo Rida, Kid Rock, and Nickelback amongst others (not to be a music snob, but music that is generally perceived as bad). Triple H, in NXT, has relied mostly on Poppy, but he’s used music by Billie Eilish and Slipknot. Do you think the music styles heard in the WWE will noticeably change with Triple H in creative control? Do you have a guess at what kind of music we might end up hearing as theme songs for Mania next year? If the main roster gets a (soft) reboot, what kind of theme songs could you see RAW and SmackDown having?

Thanks for all your work, cheers.

1 Like

Hey gents

I know it’s a very leading question and premature speculation but…….

if the wwe was to be up for sale, do you think the rock would potentially make an attempt to be part of any ownership group?

A lot of media conglomerates don’t need DJ to buy the company, but if the sale of wwe was more similar to the UFC’s sale, I could see him wanting to part of something like endeavour’s ownership structure.

From an optics level, I feel like investors would feel alleviated that his name is associated with the company, and I’m sure it’d help him have some security over his own brand as well.

thanks as always for taking the time, all the best.

2 Likes

Dear John and beloved Wai,

Is it time to play the game?!
To be Limitless, revolutionary, stupendous?
Or will we have to settle for subtle alterations
And perhaps a new logo

The middle-aged booker finally inherited the Titan
And another round of wars has begun.
Will history repeat itself?
Or are we witnessing a true Revival?

Good health to everyone!