Best/Worst of 2023

Nah man. I’ve interneted long enough to know the difference between someone who’s a delusional passionate and someone who the British would call a wind up merchant, basically someone who posts stuff to illicit a reaction.

People are entitled to their opinions and healthy debates. Why go attacking people for having a different opinion to yours.

1 Like

Sorry if it comes across that way. I’m not trying to rile people up. I do enjoy discussion and can talk more in absolutes that I should (my friends and wife can attest to this). I was also watching Liverpool go scoreless in the first half and getting agitated until they turned it around :joy:

I’ve down and up on both products before. I really got turned off WWE into Summerslam and having the Miz and his crappy kicks posted as a legit contender.

I like Gunther and AJ and Roman and many WWE talent. I just wish it was booked better like it was the first half of the year. Again, RR and WM season can cure all

1 Like

Can’t say I disagree, I still find WWE unwatchable, completely drove me off, I was enjoying some things early in the year but post Mania I’ve enjoyed very little.

Oh I swear now I’m certain you are on the wind up only against me. Lifelong Newcastle United fan here. We would have still lost, but that last one was a drive for sure.

2 Likes

Yup didn’t deserve the penalty. Hate that kind of stuff

1 Like

Sorry, but those categories were not included last year, I literally copied and pasted the options from 2022. Again, I only created the thread because it was December 31st and nobody had made it yet. Normally its created earlier in December.

I don’t think that’s fair at all. To use a sports analogy, last year Conner McDavid was the best player in the NHL by a mile, but it didn’t mean Edmonton was the best team. Just because AEW has MJF who was my wrestler of the year, doesn’t mean my choice of WWE being the promotion should be marginalized and chalked up to

I have truly enjoyed WWE more then I have enjoyed AEW this year, its the first time in years I have chosen WWE. I watch both, and in 2023 I found myself looking forward to WWE shows and being emotionally connected to the product much more.

I know you are down on the Bloodline, but I still find their segments incredibly engaging. The Sami angle at the Rumble had me literally shaking is suspense, in a good way…similar to the way you a person feels watching their favourite sports team in the final minute of a playoff game. I was also feeling that way with the Jey Uso exit, I know some here are down on him, but the guy is so over right now. I was at Summerslam, fans went nuts for Jey and wanted to see him win the title.

Jimmy’s arc has been bad, I 100% agree with that. But I don’t think one bad character arc in an overall captivating story makes the entire story in 2023 bad. I didn’t even have a problem with them having Jimmy sabotage Jey did at SS to stop him from being like Roman, my issue is that he rejoined the Bloodline as it went against everything he had doing and saying up to that point. I’m guessing they did it because otherwise Jimmy would be lost, but it was bad.

Regardless, in addition to the Bloodline, the Mysterio’s storyline was great, Judgement Day has been good, you can’t even compare the women…one entertaining women is AEW doesn’t compare to what WWE does with the women as a whole. They even made Zalina Vega into a legit contender this year. Imperium has been on fire, some good debuts with the Creed bros and Dragon Lee, there has been a lot of good with WWE this past year.

You mention Sami, and I know you are down on his booking as well, but he’s been in the main event scene all year, and they have his story of wanting to be champ simmering in the background and make a point of having him talk about that from time to time for a reason. Its a slow moving story, but with Cody having a similar story, one has to go on the backburner as you can’t push everyone to the very top at once.

Don’t misinterpret me, I’m not saying WWE is perfect, Raw is still too long and there is some bad for sure. Also, AEW has been good this year. But, if I look at what has captivated me the most in 2023 between the two companies, its WWE. Now if you are just looking at workrate which is not what I personally watch wrestling for, then sure AEW is at a higher level.

2 Likes

Okay, Wai said it’s the same categories as last year. I just really wanted to make sure these are the right ones. Thanks tho.

3 Likes

WWE and AEW only, which is why I left out Best/Worst Show and Best/Worst Promotion

1. BEST WRESTLER (Female): Toni Storm over Rhea Ripley. Much prefer Rhea overall, but Toni had a better 2023
    2. BEST TAG TEAM: FTR, and there is no second place.
    3. BEST WRESTLER (Male): MJF. Gunther was my favorite to watch, but MJF had to carry a company. Gunther largely just had to go out and have good matches.
    4. BEST FEUD: Sami Zayn vs. Bloodline (technically end of 2022 into 2023)
    5. WORST FEUD: Bloodline vs. Itself. Dishonorable Mention to MJF vs. The Devil, will have to see what January brings.
    6. BEST NON-WRESTLING MEDIA: The Post Wrestling meme thread
    7. MOST IMPROVED: Dirty Dom. Honorable mention to Swerve, but there’s a difference between “improving” and "getting a push’.
    8. BIGGEST SETBACK: AEW (Punk, injuries, etc.)
    9. BEST ON THE MIC: MJF
    10. WORST ON THE MIC: Probably somebody I fast forward through. Grayson Waller?
    11. BEST CHARACTER: LA Knight
    12. WORST CHARACTER: Chris Jericho
    13. BEST PPV: AEW Revolution
    14. WORST PPV: Summerslam (with apologies to Gunther vs. McIntyre and Rollins vs. Balor)
    15. MATCH OF THE YEAR: MJF/Danielson Iron Man, Ripley/Charlotte at Mania
    16. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR: Roman vs. Jey at Summerslam
    17. BIGGEST STORY OF THE YEAR: WWE to Endeavor, honorable mention to the Punk story

1. BEST WRESTLER (Female): Becky Lynch
2. BEST TAG TEAM: Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn
3. BEST WRESTLER (Male): Gunther
4. BEST FEUD: Hangman vs. Swerve
5. WORST FEUD: MJF vs. Adam Cole
6. BEST NON-WRESTLING MEDIA:
7. MOST IMPROVED: Dominik Mysterio
8. BIGGEST SETBACK: AEW (Originally had Kota Ibushi, but I agree with the poster above with AEW truly having the biggest setback as a whole)
9. BEST ON THE MIC: Cody Rhodes
10. WORST ON THE MIC:
11. BEST CHARACTER: Father of the Year Christian Cage
12. WORST CHARACTER: The Outcasts
13. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW: NXT
14. BEST PPV: WWE Backlash
15. WORST PPV: AEW Worlds End
16. BEST PROMOTION: WWE
17. WORST PROMOTION: NWA
18. MATCH OF THE YEAR: Swerve vs. Hangman, Full Gear
19. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR: MJF/Jay White
20. BIGGEST STORY OF THE YEAR: Endeavor buys WWE

ATTN: They are adding a category for this year’s show.

• BEST ENTRANCE
1 Like

For me that would be Gunther

As in entrance in general? (pun not intended) - Gunther
Individual Entrance - Sami Zayn (with classic music back) - Montreal Smackdown

2 Likes

Turned out this was an audible from Davie Portman, Wai said. I’m going with the Zayn entrance at that Montreal Smackdown as well.

Best individual entrance for me would be Bad Bunny from Backlash. Unbelievable pop and loved the crowd pan

4 Likes

Zayn at Elimination Chamber or Reigns at WM39 (with huge assist from Michael Cole putting him over like a god).

Yup. Easily the best

Best Entrance - Zayn in Montreal was special. But for me Zayn in Jeddah was softly better.

Regardless the correct answer is Bad Bunny in Puerto Rico. Best in 2023. In argument for best ever for me.

1 Like

I chose Gunther, but if we are talking one time entrances, my choice is Sami in Montreal when he challenged for the title…

Best Entrance: Chris Bey & Ace Austin, specifically for when they both Too Sweeted me during their entrance at Under Siege lol

2 Likes