Chris Jericho's band FOZZY plays in front of packed crowd at Sturgis; No face...

I’d really defer to @Alex_Patel on that incubation period for positive tests. So if he was at this event on the weekend would it take longer than 72 hours to show up on a test. No argument from me on that, I really don’t know and probably only Alex is qualified to speak as to how long after performing at the concert would be safe to trust a test, to the degree you trust testing. It does apear from BTE videos they’ve been having performers fly across country and perform after passing a test only 24-48 hours later. So precedent has been set for how long they are allowing for “incubation”.

As for why they aren’t having fans at their event…that seems obvious. They cannot protect the fans and test them all the way they do their staff. It’s one thing to test the staff and deem them safe to participate vs. testing hundreds or thousands of random fans. Thinking these two things are even remotely close is a big leap IMO.

+++

I’ll add one thing else re: the perceived backlash to AEW for allowing him on the show…
…I don’t think AEW cares nor does it actually impact them what the public reaction is to the degree there is one. We’re talking maybe 25% of the audience at most who is aware/care he performed a concert and that is mostly IWC fans who notoriously bitch about everything and still follow Pro Wrestling. If half the audience is IWC and half of them don’t care at all and another half of the ones who care have an opinion but aren’t tuning out, what is the actual hit to AEW viewership? If we’ve learned from anything WWE has done in it’s history is that bad story telling and bad creative = loss of fans, not racism, negligence, politics, or even getting in bed with a murderous foreign regime. If Jericho has a great match with Orange Cassidy and puts him over, the fact he performed at a concert will be a talking point on podcasts, followed by the actual work he did on the wrestling show.

It’s hard to get bad PR when the only ones covering you are those who cover you for their own business speaking to an audience of conditioned fans who move on to the next story pretty quickly. Take POST for example: the guys will be critical on RAD, talk about it to wrestling fans, then cover the show. That’s not exactly bad PR, it’s just a talking point. If main stream media picked it up sure; if a popular political figure or media personality outside of wrestling spoke about it to non wrestling fans sure, but like who is the audience here and how does that drive the PR. It’s a calculated business decision and having a background in PR, you study the business case for it: there is not a lot of downside to this and there is very little good will to be gained by leaving him off the show. In fact, I’d argue its worse PR to not let him performance if advertised as more fans will likely tune out than are to tune in because they did the “right” thing. How many people are tuning in because Excalibur is off the shows vs. how many people have stated the shows are hurt because he is missing?

You’re right that Dr. Patel would be the guy to clarify. I just know that my state requires quarantine for two weeks even after a negative test if you’re visiting from certain parts of the country.

As for my comment about having fans, I didn’t mean to imply a direct parallel. My point is that if Sturgis is safe with 100,000+ people in attendance, which AEW would be confirming to a certain extent by allowing Jericho to work after attending, why isn’t a wrestling show safe?

1 Like

I do not believe Florida is currently requiring a quarantine (I know they were because when I came down here I had to quarantine for 2 weeks; I think that may have been changed recently); and I do not believe Florida is permitting gatherings like audiences at public events. That said, performers were performing after arriving in Florida less than 2 weeks before shows regardless so not sure it is being enforced.

If they were, I personally feel we’d absolutely see fans fill in the bowls at Dailys Place. Why they aren’t traveling to states where they can have an audience again is probably a business decision in terms of cost of producing a show on the road vs. revenue from a live gate.

I don’t think we are far away from seeing WWE take shows on the road to markets they can do a live gate. What those look like are TBD and there we are talking about potentially negative PR as they are 1) more visible as a public company and 2) run the risk of low attendance which would rattle investor confidence in their model going forward and likely not worth the risk…tho I think they will still try it before 2020 ends.

EDITED to change stating something as fact to suggesting Florida recently changed the quarantine mandate as I cannot find evidence either way if it was changed officially vs. anecdotally

Second EDIT to provide this which seems like Jericho would be outside the scope (region he is coming from + commercial purpose)

Governor DeSantis directed all individuals entering the state of Florida from the New York Tri-State Area (Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York) to isolate or quarantine for a period of 14 days from the time of entry into Florida or the duration of the individual’s presence in Florida, whichever is shorter.

This includes persons entering Florida by roadways. This order was extended in Section 3 of Executive Order Number 20-139 (Effective on June 5th). This Executive Order does not apply to individuals involved in commercial activity

1 Like

So can we at least all agree that, as per usual, Florida’s not helping?

2 Likes

I was in a situation where I was potentially exposed a few weeks back, I spoke to a friend of mine who is a nurse practitioner and asked if I should get tested. Her response to me was that if I was exposed, I wouldn’t test positive for at least a week because of the incubation period.

If Jericho was performing next week I don’t think it would be a big deal, but considering he is performing on Wed after doing this on Sat, that is the problem in my eyes.

1 Like

Jericho is always in character and a heel because of that.

It just seems like an unnecessary risk to have him on the show and around other talent so soon after potential exposure. And “unnecessary risk” is pretty much synonymous with “sloppy.”

He’s in that really awkward time frame where, if he was exposed, he would likely still be pre-symptomatic. This, as I understand, can lead to less-than-perfect testing results. We can defer to Alex here, but that’s what I‘ve come to understand.

Yes there is never going to be a zero risk scenario until this all blows over, but I think attending a large maskless gathering like this days before performing in ring represents a significantly greater-than-normal risk level and would therefore constitute sloppiness.

1 Like

There is heel heat and there is getting exposed to a killer disease,risking the health of your peers heat.

If Jericho shows up on Dynamite tomorrow, my main issue isn’t even with him, its with AEW. AEW/Tony Khan have a responsibility to protect their performers, they are the authority, not Jericho, and it is crystal clear that they are 100% aware of the situation. If they choose to ignore it, it just makes that “sloppy shop” comment while being true, sound so hypocritical.

The virus is so contagious that it somehow just reappeared with 4 cases in New Zealand today. Just makes these big events that much more dangerous/irresponsible.

It really goes to show the power dynamic at AEW. Jericho worked all of those taping during the Georgia shows when I’m sure he could have opted out; he hasn’t missed a date and in many cases worked as a commentator in an attempt to retain the audience base. I suppose he then gets to do as he pleases as he is too valuable. It is a shame any company be that beholden to it’s big star but it’s not surprising.

1 Like

I remember listening to the Jericho/Khan podcast from a year or so ago, and can’t see Khan in any world being anything but complimentary to Jericho - let alone disciplining him. He definitely can do whatever he wants. It was the only time I’ve really seen Khan completely fanboy out.

Tangentially; such conflict of interest is why i don’t like the approach Khan took to build a new wrestling brand with All Elite Wrestling.

I get building the business with their popularity as the foundation and the required compensation for that, but performers as part of not only your business but as the public brand feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

2 Likes

Although performing live is a dick move for any band, you do have to wonder what the contracts look like. I can’t see that many performers willing to take that much of a risk if they didn’t have to. Also, bands would be completely insulated from general population. That is not hard to accomplish, really.

IE: “Chief Brandi Officer”

Happy to try and clarify

So the two week quarantine you hear about is because we believe that a person is potentially infectious for upto two weeks (probably closer to 10 days but max 14) After they contract the virus. If someone has a high risk exposure (think Moxley) this is going to be the preferred route to be 100 percent sure you aren’t infecting others.

The question however remains if you wish to shorten this can you get a test instead and use that if you don’t have a known exposure.

We know that most people will show symptoms by day 7-10 after exposure so if you get tested around then and the test (assuming PCR) is a well performed test done correctly and of high caliber (ie E genes etc) it is likely close to 90-100 percent accurate.

Most of the false negatives (ignoring those done for poor techniques or poor assays) are because we test too early. John Hopkins researchers estimated that those tested with COVID in the four days after infection were 67% more likely to test negative, even if they had the virus.

So if you get tested early on it will be more likely to be a false negative especially inside 4 days. Which makes sense - if you went to a party today you wouldn’t get tested tomorrow and think you were fine.

So if you did a test at day 4-5 an another a day later you would probably be pretty sure it was okay if both were negative even though it’s inside 7 days because you have two tests. If you do them after day 7 it’s even better. If you wait 14 days that’s going to be the best. So it’s a question of risk really

However especially with short time line from exposure you cannot rely on one test - and if you are testing within days 1-3 from exposure then the test is going to be problematic to determine if exposure has led to COVID transmission. The only solutions are to test repeatedly and wait for a few more days to pass.

4 Likes

Not sure if I’d say they’re “pretty good dudes”. They come across as a couple of annoying, obnoxious, fratboy pricks in my opinion but in terms of being “problematic” in the social media sense, I don’t think there’s anything on them.

The big story here is Jericho returning to the legendary town of Sturgis. I miss those good old days of WCW in Stugis.

Jericho returned to Sturgis, no longer a cruserweight and with a much bigger belly than before. All of that partying after his concerts finally caught up with him!

2 Likes

You say that like partying post concert is a bad thing…