FIFA RUSSIA WORLD CUP 2018 TOURNAMENT DISCUSSION THREAD

Iran almost took it in the end. You gotta make those shots and it just hit the outside of the net. Great drama, this World Cup has been fantastic.

2 Likes

C’mon Aussies :australia:, tonight we need to win and have France win by a few goals to advance.

1 Like

Final matches in Group C & D taking place today

Australia :australia: vs Peru :peru:
Denmark vs France :fr:

Nigeria :nigeria: vs Argentina :argentina:
Iceland :iceland: vs Croatia :croatia:

1 Like

1 Like

I’d like to see Australia advance, but I dont see France beating Denmark by enough to make it happen, even if Australia win. I think Nigeria is going to put Argentina out of their misery today, which will suck, because I picked them on my bracket to make the final.

1 Like

I think Australia have it really tough to get through I actually think Peru will beat Australia.

Surely Argentina have enough quality to be able to beat Nigeria? I think Argentina will have just enough to scrape through & play France in the last 16

1 Like

Given Australia :australia: recent World Cup Finals record, a defeat to Peru :peru: would not supprise me, if we didn’t bring on Cahill tonight with the game in the balance I’ll be shocked.

We havn’t scored an open play goal at the World Cup Finals in over 340mins. Not since the second group match of the 2014 finals vs Netherlands :netherlands: (Cahill 21min).

Our last world cup Victory was at the 2010 World Cup Finals, third group match 2-1 vs Serbia :serbia:. Where we finished 3rd in the group (& 4th in 2014 where we were winless).

Its midnight and I’m in need of sleep but hopefully we do well, C’mon you Socceroos!

1 Like

Absolute screamer by Tim Cahill I remember that game

Robbie savage off his head on commentary!

1 Like

Yep :expressionless:

18’
:australia: AUS 0-1 PER :peru:
:denmark: DEN 0-0 FRA :fr:

HT’ {GROUP C}
:australia: AUS 0-1 PER :peru:
:denmark: DEN 0-0 FRA :fr:

At the very least I expected was for Australia to fight for second place. Disappointing to see that they are already 2-0 down to Peru. money needs to be invested into Australia’s grass roots soccer academy’s around the country to ensure they are developing a better quality of players for the future.

1 Like

Final results

Australia :australia: 0 Peru :peru: 2
Denmark :denmark: 0 France :fr: 0

Nigeria :nigeria: 1 Argentina :argentina: 2
Iceland :iceland: 1 Croatia :croatia: 2

Round of 16
Saturday 30th June
France :fr: vs Argentina :argentina:
Uruguay :uruguay: vs Portugal :portugal:

Sunday 1st of July
Spain :es: vs Russia :ru:
Croatia :croatia: vs Denmark :denmark:

1 Like

Australia hasn’t scored in open play at World Cup Finals in 430mins. 1pt from the last 6 World Cup Finals matches. Finished 3rd in group (2010), 4th in group (2014), & 4th in group (2018). Conseeded early in all 3 group matches this year.

But investing money would help Football faces a number of issues in Australia, the fact their one of four major football codes (others being Australia Rules, Rugby League, & Rugby Union) where domestic club players get paid more then their domestic club football counterparts. The fact they closed the A.I.S. Program (A national government football academy program). The treatment of fans by the league, media, and police.

But mostly I’m disappointed. In 2015 we win the AFC Asian Cup on home soil, our first major trophy (sorry Oceania). I honestly thought all the bad luck of the “Witch Doctors Curse” was finally gone, but gees we couldn’t even beat Thailand in Qualifying. I hate Interim managers, same three sub’s every game except tonight where Cahill came on as Nabout was injured.

Congratulations Peru :peru: you just wanted it more.

1 Like

So nervous.

C’mon Sweden!!

frank-andersson-03a2851a-97f9-4da0-ac89-c629ce59205-resize-750

Big shock on the cards!!

82nd min

South Korea 0 Germany 0

Mexico 0 Sweden 3

As it stands Sweden and Mexico currently going through to the round of last 16 with the holding 2014 champions set to crash out in just the group stages.

1 Like

Simply unbelievable

2 Likes

Germany are out of the World Cup.

2 Likes

Imagine Sweden - Switzerland in the next round. If so then the world finally will learn the difference. Or maybe the world will wonder how a country can play against itself

1 Like

Wow…I don’t know how many times I can say that. This World Cup just keeps delivering. This is the kinda stuff that makes me happy to be a sports fan.

1 Like