Jim Cornette -- NWA Powerrr

To me a joke in character might be worse than a stupid mistake in reality.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not reading all the comments. I scrolled through and have started to see this whole thing become political and about trump and defending fried chicken - so Iā€™m jumping to the bottom.

This has nothing to do with politics or chicken. Hes made a racist joke. Whether that racist joke was allowed in the 80s is irrelevant. Times have changed and you cannot broadcast views from the 80s. Same way Cornette cant sexually grope the women because they did it in the 80s.

This isnt political and it isnt fried chicken. It isnt even a debate. He said something racist and lost his job. Matter closed

5 Likes

Reading the recap of cornetteā€™s podcast didnā€™t make me feel any better.

Learning a bit more about Laganaā€™s views isnā€™t helping eitherā€¦

Well i have some bad news for you concerning Billy Corgan then. The manā€™s a nutjob whoā€™s appeared on Infowars with Alex Jones bemoaning ā€œglobalistsā€ and ā€œprotected minority groupsā€, yet for some reason it rarely gets brought up. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people apparently arenā€™t aware yet itā€™s in plain sight. Or more likely, they donā€™t care until theyā€™re forced to.

Itā€™s not a coincidence somebody like Lagana works for somebody like Corgan or that their production crew wouldnā€™t think there was any issue with Cornetteā€™s commentary.

1 Like

I didnā€™t know this about Corgan and didnā€™t believe you at first so I did my due diligence and you seem to be 100% correct. The guy has some pretty extreme views. Not sure what it is about wrestling promotions being run by whack jobs, but at least everyone in AEW seems :+1:.

Found this Salon article on Billy Corgan to be extremely compelling.

After listening to Cornetteā€™s podcast he reacted how I thought he would & it seems his intention for the joke & how I took it as well was that it was a joke about famine not race.

It also seems the Nwa & Lagana specifically who Jim Cornette talked to didnā€™t find the line to be offensive during editing hence it not being removed at first.

My thoughts, are that it was intended as a joke & not a hate comment & Iā€™ve heard more offensive jokes from comedians but I understand as a business the Nwa would like to avoid any controversy & its probably best for both parties to go their separate ways at this point which they have.

1 Like

I donā€™t see how Cornette or any NWA management could see that as an acceptable line in 2019. Joking about a famine is just as offensive. Also, the fact that he made the joke during a match with a wrestler who looks like he could be a Confederate sympathizer or Klansmen from the 1960s did him no favors. Cornette is extremely out of touch and should have just apologized and should go away for a little bit.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m wrong but I thought most people felt like it was a starvation joke.

But throwing the fried chicken line in makes it racist despite whatever (fucked up) intention he originally had.

And then not apologizing is insane.

I was aware actually

Lagana was the surprise for me

It sucks because I was a huge fan of Cornette. From listening to his podcast for 6 years, and the previous incarnation of his podcast in 2009-2010, he seemed anything but racist. And honestly, I donā€™t think he is. That said, heā€™s incredibly ignorant, to the point where he should never be allowed on mainstream wrestling television again. Itā€™s sad. I really do like a lot of his old timey expressions. Wouldnā€™t you know who won the pony, fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads, boil them in oil and sell their fat for soap, sodomized with a rusty fishing knife. A lot are weird, but they really express an outrage in a weird way that I really like.

I actually stopped listening to his podcast after his comments on the Japanese women in AEW shouldnā€™t be pushed because they wouldnā€™t draw. I feel like Wai Ting defending Vince Russo when John Pollock gave him a quiz after reading a racist quote from Vince Russo during one of the anniversary specials. Heā€™s not racist, heā€™s just extremely ignorant, which I guess is better?

Everything heā€™s said, the transvestite comment, the butterface comment, what I put, it all points to him being homophobic, sexist and racist, but based on his rants that Iā€™ve heard over the past decade, he sounds completely different. I think thatā€™s whatā€™s so frustrating. I want to defend him, but then I feel like a jackass for even attempting it. Iā€™m not going to pretend I didnā€™t hear when talking about the trans discriminating bathroom bill that he felt a lot of the people putting this bill forward were the fucked up people who outta piss in the parking lot. His outrage at Trump knocking the NFL and Colin Kaepernak and how theyā€™re kneeling because the cops are killing black people. His warning his podcast listeners to vote and fight, because theyā€™re starting to take away abortion rights and Cornette felt theyā€™re coming for gay rights next. When that plant in the States was raided and a lot of illegal immigrants were locked up, Cornetteā€™s outrage that this happened, that these were hard working people who just wanted a better life for their families and they should have a path to citizenship, and like, I feel like Iā€™m crazy. I feel when I defend him, in the words of Cornette, people think I have steaming turds hanging out of my mouth.

3 Likes

Missed the podcast - what about laguna? That he thought joke was fine and only backed down bc of twitter pressure?

Hey mate, I feel you. You did pretty much explained how I feel towards him, to the point where I also stopped listening to his podcast because of way too much ranting and hating on stuff or people - no matter if I agree or disagree with him.

I valued his opinions really high, cause when you listen to him, he is a really smart guy, but heā€™s so STUBBORN on some topics, itā€™s mind blowing.

Dude, to be fair, itā€™s fucking Infowars. Thatā€™s not exactly ā€œin plain sightā€ and is guess 99.5% of the world has no idea this exists.

Thanks for bringing it up though. :slight_smile:

Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but if Lagana didnā€™t see anything wrong with the line originally and only edited the line because of Twitter ā€œpressureā€ and those that tha took offence, thatā€™s still a win. Hopefully the guy actually took some time to read and listen to peopleā€™s issue with it and learns something.

Corganā€™s an iconic musician and very famous. Most adults in the English speaking Western world know about Infowars and Alex Jones unless theyā€™ve been living under a rock and ignoring the social and political climate of the past 5+ years.

The fact that his association with these types and his extreme views havenā€™t been more prominent in the eyes of the general public, especially in this era of ā€œcancel cultureā€ is noteworthy. In fact, on a broader point, itā€™s one of a million reasons why i roll my eyes every time i hear somebody whining about ā€œcancel cultureā€ or how ā€œyou canā€™t say anything any more without offending somebody!ā€.

Even if Infowars was some tiny, obscure entity, then Corganā€™s association and the reporting on it should have been even more noteworthy and gained more traction.

I think the point is not many cancel culture people follow infowars, and Corrigan hasnā€™t really done anything of note musically in years. Smashing Pumpkins were a big mainstream thing in the 90s. They have made a come back but not on the same level as before and if you arenā€™t mainstream cancel culture risk is much less.

LOL

Knowing what infowars is and actaully paying attention to it are two different things.

Knowing who BIlly Corgan is vs. giving a shit about what he does are two different things as well. As a fun exercise to prove this, try to find 1 person outside of the wrestling bubble that knows he runs a wrestling promotion (I have btw).

But yes, I too roll my eyes at anyone getting mad at cancel culture and "you canā€™t say anything anymoreā€¦: people.

You donā€™t need to pay attention to Infowars when journalists are doing the job. Youā€™re talking as if you need to be watching Infowars to know. Itā€™s been well reported by journalists, as have his views expressed outside of Infowars in interviews. But as youā€™ve said; most people donā€™t give a shit, so it hasnā€™t got traction.

Honestly, iā€™m surprised the likes of David Bixenspan havenā€™t made more of it since NWA has been gaining prominence.

I feel.like then issue is that half of America believes or would believe in the Infowars trash

One thing that has been lost in all this, is that Trevor Murdoch is as tough as a delivery driverā€¦which probably isnā€™t that big of a deal. I guess he could have a new gimmick as a Skip the Dishes driver.

Also, why is it always people that look like me telling everyone else ā€œthat wasnā€™t racistā€. Like we can somehow understand what itā€™s like to be discriminated against.

1 Like

Really good post

There does seem to be a huge disconnect with the guy.

I donā€™t even want to speculate why