Mauro Ranallo misses the Survivor Series

Unless you are an oncologist at a conference I must say this is an odd thing to joke about

They do say…laughter is the best medicine.

1 Like

It’s a strange phenomenon. My circumcision jokes get huge laughs by both genders in most situations. But you mistime or misread the crowd with the uterine cancer joke and people can get really upset.

I guess male genitalia mishaps are just more universally funny.

We’re getting way off topic. So, should cancel culture deal with Corey Graves or does he get a pass over this?

Do I really have to say that I didn’t literally watch her go though the procedure?

Telling a joke is one thing to lighten the mood, but taking to the internet to criticized a coworkers commentary style is another thing. Don’t think he gets a pass on this one, not with Mauro’s history being public knowledge.

1 Like

On the subject of “Cancel Culture”, I had a convo w/a friend over the weekend & he said he prefers “Consequence Culture”, & I thought that was pretty insightful.

Ate some of the things folks get heated about on the internet silly? Absolutely (look no further than some of our very own threads). But for the most part, I feel like people don’t engage in what you’d label “Cancel Culture” w/o a valid grievance.

An individual has the freedom of choice to be a dick, be intentionally mysoginistic or bigoted, be insensitive to someone’s mental/physical struggles…But those choices come with consequences.

In this instance, Graves doesn’t deserve to be cancelled or fired…But he does need to get called out for his crap. Whether he meant to offend Mauro or not is a secondary concern. He can slam Mauro all he wants in-house (and I think some in that company probably agree with Corey & encourage this type of behavior)…But you don’t air a colleague out like that.

Two Words, Brother: Billionaire Ted.

Never forget, Vince McMahon is one of the pettiest dudes in the history of the bidness. Twitter might not be his medium of choice, but he’s not above throwing shots at the competition (or just raiding their talent & buying their territory…Lol!).

:100:

8 Likes

You’re not wrong. Can’t forget this one from my youth…

Vince Mcmahon Fires Back at Ted Turner.

From the 2/19/1996 Observer

Vince McMahon came out with guns blazing on all fronts in his no-holds-barred war with his opposition, which he claims isn’t WCW but the entire Turner empire. Among his maneuvers over the past seven days were:

Filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission claiming TBS has been engaged in a systematic plan to destroy the WWF so it can achieve a monopoly over the wrestling industry

Taking out quarter-page ads on both Wednesday and Thursday in the New York Times financial sections

Having Jerry McDevitt send a letter to Eric Bischoff demanding an apology for Bischoff’s televised insinuations and other similar insinuations on the WCW hotline that Titan Sports may have been responsible for the power failure in Lakeland during the 2/5 Nitro show

Writing a letter to Ted Turner complaining about WCW re-instituting blading and promising bloodbaths on the SuperBrawl PPV show.

On the surface it appears to some that McMahons actions are coming off as desperation. He has admitted, or at least said several times this past week that he considers his company as fighting for its life and that he isn’t so much worried about what’s happening now as much as six months from now. Some in WWF are surprised by this turn of events citing the overall recent surge of interest in pro wrestling with the return of 80s stars bringing older fans back, the strong buy rate of Royal Rumble, which will almost surely surpass that of any WCW PPV event this year, an expected even stronger buy rate for Wrestlemania, a great house a few weeks back in Madison Square Garden and other strong houses, strong advances for upcoming house shows, a profitable tour of India and strong advances for the next Germany tour. The belief by many is for the first time in a long time, the guys on top are over to where they can consistently draw, people care about the feuds, and when Vader comes in, they’ll have their strongest main event heel when it comes to drawing in several years and one of the deepest line-ups of top babyfaces in recent memory. In addition, running one show per night with all the stars on one line-up gives them the most depth on the house show cards they’ve had in a long time.

McMahon claims the problem isn’t a wrestling promotional war, but that the Turner empire is using its power to destroy the WWF. Despite what look to many to be ironic similarities, he claims the situation today is entirely different from a decade ago when the shoe was on the other foot as McMahon trampled numerous regional promotions, virtually all of which ended up going out of business.

2 Likes

I have not read all that is been posted here and dont really use Twitter so I dont know about the toxic place people say it is. All I have really seen is Corey’s 2 tweets. My question about all of this is. If you have a mental illness or disability then someone is not allowed to critique or have a negative opinion about your work? Or is it just your coworkers?

1 Like

I was just going to put this in my Feedback, but all I will say is Mauro is the best play-by-play in the business period. He has no equal and whoever is second-best is miles away from him. Plain and simple.

Everyone would’ve reacted the same regardless of which commentator it was directed at… That’s what people keep saying anyway. Obvious bullshit but that’s what they’re saying.

I would say anyone in your circle where they have the ability to give you feedback in a more direct means. So family, friends, co-workers. I would honestly extend that beyond people with mental disorders, as it is just common curtesy.

2 Likes

It is shitty no matter who it is directed at, but made worse given who it is directed at.

2 Likes

They are allowed

Definitely unprofessional to shit on your coworkers via social media tho.

And let’s be honest, it wasn’t constructive criticism. It was just someone being a dick head

3 Likes

Critique is fine. If you’re going to provide feedback to someone and critique their job then that’s good.

If you’re going to publically criticise someone in a dickish manner on social media - that’s not cool.

2 Likes

He has BAD. I’m not sure if you have ever worked with or had familiar members like that but the hallmark is mood swings with bouts of extreme depression.

Of course you can critique them - you just have to be sensitive that it can trigger a strong emotional response especially depression. So just be gentle. Publicly shaming them on twitter versus a simple personal text or phone call makes a world of difference.

I think there is a lack of appreciation perhaps for mental illness in general. Mauro’s constant butting in etc is likely tied to his BAD. So you are almost critiquing him for something he can’t control.

If you took someone with a physical ailment (take the fellow with no legs for instance) and ballasted him on twitter for not being quick in the ring people would have your head.

It’s actually not that different from publicly slamming a guy with BAD for always cutting in on others during commentary

1 Like

I didn’t think the two tweets were all that bad, but you don’t give feedback to colleagues in a public forum. So I don’t think the tweets or comments were bad at all, just the delivery method.

And I do think it was constructive criticism, he was definitely being a bit unfair by not letting them contribute as much on a live big event.

I preferred how he didn’t call it out bluntly and just alluded to giving the others a bigger voice on the broadcast.

I guess it just feels like with the scale of abuse that occurs on twitter, this really falls quite low for me. There was no swearing or ranting, or personal attacks. Just pointing out he’d like to hear from others on the panel. Not a big woop really.

Also, i just mentioned this to a friend and they said, Well who actually believes or takes twitter seriously nowadays anyways. So maybe a lesson there =) Anyways, I do tend to be an optimist and believe no one intentionally would want harm to another. So hopefully Corey makes up with Mauro.

Interesting how people can see things so differently. To me the tweet came off as passive aggressive criticism, not really constructive in anyway. While certainly far from the worst thing on Twitter still not the method one professional should give another criticism in the same company. Nor as far as I know is that Corey’s job.

Corey is a despicable human being. He’s always being a jerk to others and his whole wife and Carmella thing was horrible. He has a track record of saying arrogant shit and this is no different.

Worst part is he sucks so bad compared to Mauro. Best thing man could do is retire

I feel like some of the reaction defending Graves have become the “Stop being a baby Snowflake” Talking points so I’ll just say this. It seems like nobody in WWE has checked Graves and he didn’t delete the tweets or apologize. Cole saying Mauro got emotional puts it on Mauro for not showing up, in life yes nobody is treated special but in special circumstances some are. If Mauro hated being yelled at by Vince during Smackdown he could’ve left when his contract was up, THEY wanted him back they wanted him on NXT where he wouldn’t have to put up with Vince. If Graves is on his tell it like it is kick of we all gotta get yelled at by Vince he’s wrong because Mauro is the voice of Showtime boxing, Bellator when he was involved and if he was free all that time would absolutely be the voice of AEW. You’re as good as your options if Graves or Cole don’t like that Mauro gets special treatment (Which is such a cruel thing to think with someone fighting an illness) let him walk

1 Like

Just to change the perspective a little, if Graves made these twitter comments to Cole or Vic Joseph, no one would be making a big deal about them. It’s the fact the Mauro has a well known condition that makes this a big issue.

That makes it a bigger issue. That said I don’t think him making them about anyone is appropriate. It wouldn’t be the same story though as without the condition those performer would probably have worked survivor series, so people would not have noticed.