Most Protected Finishing Move ever ?

I was being sarcastic. I know not the point of this thread but when thinking about finishers from my childhood it’s wild to me how many are normal spots in matches and kicked out of all the time.

First three that came to mind were Jakes DDT, BigShows WMD punch and Chris Masters Masterlock :joy: although I think Lashley broke out of it if memory serves.

I would have to say that Kenny Omega’s One Winged Angel is the most protected finishing move. He does not get to hit it every match and it might take 3 or 4 tries to land it once, but when it does hit it is almost always the end of the match.

In the WWE, I have always thought of the 3D as a very protected move. I don’t think that anyone has actually kicked out of it in a WWE ring.

4 Likes

3D has been kicked out of twice (Chris Sabin in TNA, the other one seems to be Tommy Dreamer in WWE ECW but not sure).

I knew about the Chris Sabin one, which was why I specified that no one did in a WWE ring.

Apparently Tommy Dreamer, but I cannot find the match.

Stone Cold Stunner was pretty well protected, you can probably come up with kickouts, but the darned thing laid out everyone, match or no. Joe’s Kokina Clutch…

I’m sure it must be Hogan’s leg drop. I can’t think of too many who actually kicked out of it outside Yokozuna and Goldberg.

Vader in WCW (kicked out at ONE) and the Rock.

I wasn’t aware of the Vader one and I forgot about the Rock.

Yeah, people like to remember Hogan no-selling the power bomb and “burying” Vader during that feud, but the fact that Vader did the same to the leg drop has been lost to history.

(To be fair, Hulk did kill Vader a bit. But it’s probably more accurate to blame the fact that Hogan beat him all three times they fought on PPV/TV than to hang it all on one spot.)

Who kicked out of Goldberg’s jackhammer?

Lesnar at Wrestlemania and Hollywood Hogan.

Damn! I thought that might of been an undefeated finishing move

Every finishing move has been kicked out of at some point. That’s one of the reasons to protect a finisher, when its kicked out of there’s a bigger impact.

Savage’s elbow drop was super protected, and god damn when Warrior kicked out of 5 of them, what a moment.

Some moves in our thread have never been kicked out of.

Pretty surprised Hogan or Taker had never kicked out so I guess that’s the winner in my eyes.

Not sure I can put Ember Moon’s eclipse or the Razors Edge as “most protected” because even if they haven’t been kicked out of, theyve never been in a main event postition to have it kicked out of. That’s just how I look at it.

1 Like

I remember when I got the WWE Network and started to fill in the blanks in my viewing history. The Stunner was flooring absolutely everyone for 3+ years. Then Austin turns heel and Kurt Angle kicks out of three of 'em at Summerslam 2001.

Surprise that nobody talk about hogan’s legdrop. Say what you will about hogan now, but back in the day, that move was protected as almost nobody would kick out of the move.

Same goes for warrior’s gorilla press/big spalsh combo. when he would it you with those move it was over.

Hogan’s leg drop has been mentionned. The Rock and Sid Justice have kicked out of it.