Multiple WWE talents released from the company (UPDATED)

Originally published at Multiple WWE talents released from the company (UPDATED) - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

(Updated as of 7:44pm ET)

Following a video call and press release detailing the impact of COVID-19 on the company’s finances, WWE has publicly announced the releases of:

• Kurt Angle
  • Aiden English (Matthew Rehwoldt)
  • Drake Maverick (James Curtin) – Maverick indicates he will still be competing in the Interim NXT Cruiserweight Championship tournament
  • Heath Slater (Heath Miller)
  • Lio Rush (Lionel Green)
  • Karl Anderson (Chad Allegra)
  • Eric Young (Jeremy Fritz)
  • Luke Gallows (Drew Hankinson)
  • Curt Hawkins (Brian Myers)
  • EC3 (Michael Hutter)
  • Mike Chioda
  • Sarah Logan (Sarah Rowe)
  • Rowan (Joseph Ruud)
  • Primo (Edwin Colon)
  • Epico (Orlando Colon Nieves)
  • Mike Kanellis (Mike Bennett)
  • Maria Kanellis
  • Zack Ryder (Matthew Cardona)
  • No Way Jose (Levis Valenzuela)
  • Rusev (Miroslav Barnyashev)

The following talents aren’t listed in the article but are also believed to have been released:

• Deonna Purrazzo
  • Aleksandar Jaksic competed on WWE’s NXT brand and worked the house show circuit with Tehuti Miles.
  • MJ Jenkins (Monique Jacqueline Williams-Jenkins)
  • Jerry SotoWWE spanish announce team member.
  • Josiah Williams — NXT’s content innovation lab at the Performance Center

The people closest to me know this is something I’ve been struggling with wanting for the better part of the last year.

Happy to say I gave this journey my best and MORE excited for the future! ❤️

— The Virtuosa (@DeonnaPurrazzo) April 15, 2020

Sometimes Life Does Not Seem Real.
    & No Matter How Hard You Work,
    It Sometimes Is Not Enough.

🤍 MY WWE FAMILY 💙

„Until one of our lights is forever extinguished, our dance will never end.“

GOODBYE, @WWENXT.

— LONELY GOD (@WWEAleksandar) April 15, 2020

Several talents took to Twitter to share their reaction upon hearing the news:

My immediate thoughts.@WWE @WWENXT #WWE #NXT @TripleH @ShawnMichaels #Cruiserweight pic.twitter.com/Afw58V7eo1

— Drake Maverick (@WWEMaverick) April 15, 2020

To all of my fellow co workers, whatever happens today or the remainder of this week….just know, we’re all going to be good. 🙏🏽 Once a family, forever a family. #Wrestling

— Lio (@itsLioRush) April 15, 2020

#LioRush 🦋 pic.twitter.com/Jo0BVNWhfo

— Lio (@itsLioRush) April 15, 2020

Last time I got fired I had a really funny tweet in response to it. Doesn’t really feel appropriate today. I will say this, a lot of very talented ppl lost their jobs today and out of this disaster the PRO WRESTLING community will rise stronger than ever! 🤘🏻

— Brian Myers (@TheCurtHawkins) April 15, 2020

I wanted 2 say thank you to the WWE for the time I spent there.I made many new friends and had the opportunity to work with so many talented people. To the Superstars, continue to entertain the WWE Universe as well as you possibly can. They’re the best fans in the world. #itstrue

— Kurt Angle (@RealKurtAngle) April 15, 2020

Love you all 💜💜 #ThankYou @WWE @WWENXT pic.twitter.com/1elDFcDygO

— No Way Jose (@WWENoWayJose) April 15, 2020

Thank you All, Rusev out!

— Miro (@RusevBUL) April 15, 2020

I LOVE YOU ALL 🙏🏻❤️ #WWE @WWE pic.twitter.com/l6lQz1ynEn

— Miracle (@RealMikeBennett) April 15, 2020

The cuts and furloughs will save WWE $4 million a month and increase its cash flow by $140 million through delaying a move to its new headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut.

1 Like

Woooooooow. Anderson and Gallows? Didn’t they sign up a new lucrative contracts just last year?

1 Like

Some surprising ones there. Gallows & Anderson just had a prominent role in the most talked about match at WrestleMania. Maverick was just announced as in the cruiserweight title tournament. Lio Rush a recent title holder.

Wow, that Boneyard match actually claimed 2 victims. When undertaker said he was collecting souls, I guess he really meant contracts

EC3 never got a fair chance on the main roster and was buried right away Angle is done and a hall of famer Drake Maverick gave us some good laughs with the 24/7 title in the early days

1 Like

Mike Chioda seems like the most shocking name here.

1 Like

Been with the company since 1989 and was friends of the Monsoon family. Probably had a surprisingly large contract, at least considering WWE’s current treatment of referees as faceless schlubs.

Wow, and it feels like it’s not even close to being done either. NXT hasn’t been hit yet.

Over or Under on Rusev joining the list in the next hour?

There’s no need for that

I think it’s gotta be Anderson & Gallows so far over Chioda, at least for me. I can’t remember the last time I saw Mike Chioda on TV. During the pre-pandemic times, WWE was doing everything in their power to keep Anderson & Gallows despite not doing much with them on TV.

All I am saying is the man wasn’t going to re-sign with the company and has months left on his contract. The only real thing would be if they cut him now with everyone else giving him his wish or still make him wait out the remaining months.

So I’m confused by how contracts work in the US. What is the point of a contract? Why can WWE randomly terminate it but the performers can’t? Seems like a shit contract!

1 Like

Yes I understand

Not only that, it seems like they can’t get out but WWE can fire whenever they want. How is that legal? America certainly is a strange place.

EDIT: Sorry you said the same thing. But my two sentences stand :slight_smile:

1 Like

Several agents/producers have gotten the boot:

Fit Finlay
Billy Kidman
Lance Storm
Shane Helms
Shawn Daivari
Scott Armstrong
Sarah Stock
Pat Buck
Mike Rotunda (yep, IRS has been fired on Tax Day in the U.S.)

CORRECTION: Mike Johnson and Dave Meltzer have claimed all of these producers have been furloughed, meaning they’ve been temporarily suspended without pay. They’re not actually laid off.

1 Like

There are far more surprising names than Sarah Logan being released today but I always felt WWE creative missed out on 2 chances to use her more.

1. Always thought WWE missed having a triple threat with all Riott Squad members.

2. Was hoping she would pair up with the Viking Raiders to take on Bianca Bellair and the Street Profits.

Really…what about Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel, Jinder Mahal, Titus O’Neill, Shelton Benjamin, Shorty G, The IIconics, The 24/7 Title…how are they still employed??

They are… ESSENTIAL.

And now Rusev finally got his wish.

2 Likes