My experience receiving the 1st dose of covid-19 vaccine

Obviously not everybody is a candidate now. I’d say I’m in good health so I’d be one of the last to be approved, but when given the chance to take it I will. Sounds like that will be around April at the earliest from what I’m seeing. If the high risk people all get it and there are no side effects will that change anyone’s mind by then?

1 Like

I am absolutely terrified of needles but I’ll be getting the vaccine… what do I have to lose really… I think getting COVID-19 would be far worse.

7 Likes

Regardless of the comments section below, thank you for sharing. Although I’m a essential worker I don’t believe I’ll get one anytime soon. Good to hear it was such an easy process!

1 Like

Not gonna read all 84 posts, but I think the vaccine should be taken by all who were vocal. So respectfully that means Wai. Trust in public health, take the virus seriously etc etc. I think people gotta be consistent. Respectfully. And when eveyone has access to the vaccine we should open up. Don’t let those who aren’t going to vaccinate prevent the vaccinated from normal living. The unvaccinated made their decision and with it comes its consequences.
I just wanna see Black Widow.

2 Likes

I’m taking the vaccine. On the podcast, I was asked if I would take it during that specific moment if it was available, to which I said probably not immediately. I’ll probably take it Day 60 after shutting myself in for that duration and reading others’ experiences. I’m just a consumer who likes to do his due diligence. I appreciate @Tony sharing his experience and of course Dr. Patel for sharing his insight.

10 Likes

Same here, and to be fair I don’t think the majority of 30 somethings who don’t work in health care, nursing homes etc. will even be able to take it at the beginning anyways.

3 Likes

Take the vaccine, but still wear your mask and practise social distance.

2 Likes

Just got my shot after my night shift. We have been a little slow to role out in Ontario but hopefully it will reach the general public by April. By then we should have longer term data available anyway for those that are still concerned

8 Likes

What are your thoughts on the slow roll out Alex? A lot of controversy about shutting down vaccination centres over Christmas in Ontario. Do you believe it’s a big deal, or much adieu about nothing?

Personally I don’t see how three days’ worth of delay is gonna make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but I’m basing that on my experience as the village idiot, as you might say. :joy:

Yeah I tend to agree with you. It’s more the optics than the actual read world effect.

The truth is it was delayed for more than just staffing. They wanted to start slower to see how many water doses they would have due to being too slow to administer etc and also they didn’t know if they should save a dose for your second one or just give everything now because you will have more supply in a couple of weeks.

So it was a more complex decision making process than it seems. In the end the optics look bad but today I can see first hand they are fast and efficient and getting it out much better a few days ago.

On the whole I think we will now ramp up quickly. We went from 20 people a day to almost 2-300 so I think if they needed a few days off to work our kinks but have caught up and then some there is no need to dwell on it

2 Likes

Without revealing too much and full disclosure that I am not a doctor, I am fairly close to current efforts regarding the safety of the two approved vaccines in the US. I won’t discuss specifics due to patient privacy concerns but I’ve seen most issues circulated in the media already. So far I personally haven’t seen anything that would dissuade me from taking the vaccine or feeling like it’s unsafe for most individuals.

3 Likes

Great news @Alex_Patel.

For info, the guidance from Canada’s National Advisory Committee on Immunization on prioritizing doses means that 20- and 30-somethings like me, and I think most of the people on this board, will not be receiving any doses any sooner than summer 2021, based on anticipated supply that would be available to the provinces.

Now, more vaccines from more sources will be approved in the not-too-distant future, and already have been in other countries, much like those from Pfizer and Moderna, so the supply picture could change. If there’s anything we’ve learned this year, it’s that lots of things can change really quickly.

1 Like

The UK approved the AZ vaccine as well.

This one was a strange one / the efficacy in the study was better giving dose 1 and then 1-2 dose second time versus 2 full doses. However they approved it as 2 full doses I believe. Which to me is a little odd. Trying to see if I can find more but it seems a little confusing to everyone I speak to as well.

So if you are in the UK and have a choice I would take the Moderna or Pfizer one right now

1 Like

Wasn’t there one vaccine that was working better if first they give you half a dose, and a full one with the second shot?

Yeah that’s this one the AZ one the UK approved. I didn’t explain it well above but basically 1.5 doses were better than 2 doses for some reason (there are theories I can go over if there is interest but it might be a bit too technical and boring) but oddly they approved the 2 dose version. Not sure I have gotten a good answer why

@Alex_Patel Very interested. Would love to learn and understand as much as I can before the vaccine becomes available to me.

So it’s thought perhaps an explanation that the first full dose may have resulted in an immune response to the vector itself rather than the “payload” which could have attenuated the second dose’s effect. Speculative but it’s the current thought

Why this vaccine and not the other two demonstrating this?

The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is based on DNA and uses dSDNA and not mRNA. It uses an adenovirus (common cold) virus found in chimps to help get the DNA into cells (chino adneovirus won’t replicate in human. mRNA is totally not live.

The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is more rugged than the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna. DNA is not as fragile as RNA, and the adenovirus’s tough protein coat helps protect the genetic material inside. As a result, the Oxford vaccine doesn’t have to stay frozen.

However it seems that the a full dose as mentioned earlier may provoke a response to the chimp adneovirus and not the protein transcribed by the DNA. Thus the half shot initially is better at letting your body generate the right resposne. As mRNA doesn’t need a separate host to enter this isn’t an issue.

Positives and negatives. I’m just surprised the UK authorized as two full doses which when studied didn’t work as well.

Hopefully that wasn’t too technical and I apologize if it was

4 Likes

@Alex_Patel Thank you, really appreciate the explanation and information passed along here.

1 Like

I’ve heard that a new strain of this fucking virus has been discovered in the wild, so I am a little apprehensive about taking an injection. Of course, I will make every effort to not be a carrier, but will the vaccines be good enough to combat this new form?

And oh, Ontario’s new cases has jumped to almost 3,000. Yay, we’re idiots!