NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Live Discussion Thread

Please explain in detail why I can’t be serious.

I am very serious.

I just don’t see the same quality of work top to bottom, and neither does any NXT Takeover match the spectacle and seriousness of a major dome show.

Sorry dude let’s agree to disagree. I have no interest in getting in a pissing contest and I really don’t care to argue further.

2 Likes

It’s the problem with wrestling as a whole, I think everyone should have multiple ways to win. Maybe 2 solid main event level finishes, another for lower card guys and a submission.

2 Likes

You can like NJPW but just look at the POST awards if you don’t agree. NXT has amazing shows as well. And they don’t all end the same way as a Naito match always does

But isn’t that every match ever?

2 Likes

This :point_up: Is :100:

It’s the layered details that make rematches never feel old (or rarely) and it’s really another level of wrestling that no promotion touches.

Hard disagree. What Osprey and Hiromu did was as impressive as a wrestling match can be. How Okada and Ibushi finished is as intense as any match can be. These are not feelings produced in a vacuum. So I can’t just call it all the same.

Certain TakeOvers have been as enjoyable and as impressive shows; unfair to downplay how great they are. What New Japan has is history that you feel and that lives in the event and matches. Because of WWE crutches that’s rarely felt even in TakeOvers

NXT feels like the happiest of mediums

2 Likes

MJ… couldn’t have said it any better myself.

So I’ll stop there. 100% agree.

The show itself was fantastic. I had to watch the last 3 matches again, great stuff.
That main event though. It was… beautiful :cry:

1 Like

Maybe I’m the odd person out, but I was underwhelmed with this show compared to the previous 5 WKs.

I think I got the most kick out of the old timers with Liger.

Will Ospreay is great but Hiromu is at best 80% of what he was before the injury and I thought that let me down, as his matches a few years ago with Will, and Dragon Lee, were just that much better than he was here.

Not a big fan of that IC match or the participants.

Okada is great and Ibushi is too in the right situation. Too long a match for me though.

Not a fan of garbage matches so the Moxley win was sort of “meh” for me.

I’m hoping the second night will be better. Am hoping that Goto and Kenta will bring the strong style to this weekend in a shorter and well put together match.

1 Like

I’m with you. It was good. Not great.

Mox match we know Mox isn’t losing. It has to be Juice vs Mox. So why waste time on this?

IC match was sloppy. Naito doesn’t look good.

Main event was a good last 5 mins. But I just skipped to 30 right away since I knew it wouldn’t matter.

I may get the feeling of Okada being formulaic due to my fandom, but his series with Omega will be the best of all time. Yes things get repeated but they play off prior matches perfectly. It was my only gripe on an outstanding show. New Japan is the only promotion I avoid spoilers for.

What was said about the not enough finishers was spot on though. Not as much in New Japan but I’ll never bite on Roman Reigns getting a near fall with a superman punch. Ospreay has won with an Oscutter, Storm Breaker, Hidden Blade etc so there are many times I bite on his matches. Hence my fanboy mentality on him lol.

Naito was meant to look to sloppy. He was selling the damage to his knee the entire match. That’s why he couldn’t run the ropes or spring off them. Did you even pay attention?

3 Likes

Yes but that match was slow and very long and unlike the main event was boring at times. Also big surprise knee is fine for two destinos like he always does

But you said you skipped 30 minutes of the main event? So how would you know it wasn’t boring at times?

1 Like

I don’t. It probably was. But the ending was better.

Very few matches should do 30 mins plus. Not every Okada match otherwise you know you can skip the first 30 mins

Happy Night 2 everyone.

LIJ on the board with the Never belts. Sure seems like we’re gonna get a moment for the first time with all 6 members holding gold. Looking forward to the crowning tonight.

1 Like

Very surprised they showed the AEW title in the opening package

The night of anxiety is upon us!

And New Japan World has crashed on me

Have you managed to get back on?

Okada matches always make sense - this isn’t NXT Gargano crap with a million finishers, ladders, tables and chairs. They never feel long to me

Got kicked out immediately after Liger was pinned and nothing since. Not impressed.

1 Like