POST Racing - A Discussion Thread on Formula One

Enjoy the race this weekend!

1 Like

Guenther at COTA

3 Likes

Been a longtime since I watched Formula 1.

While I am on the board this morning, this is a friendly reminder that the upcoming Azerbaijan Grand Prix is the first Sprint Race weekend of the season!

Enjoy! :racing_car: Zoom Zoom! (The race car emoji is Ferrari red, which is no reflection of Ferrari’s pace this season…still red racing car go zoom. LOL).

3 Likes

For a second I thought the race was this weekend lol one more to go! Can’t wait, I’ve been really enjoying it so far, although I’m doing horribly with my picks lol

Randomly Guenther is on Sunday Brunch on channel 4 in the U.K. talking about his new book. It’s like a chat show where they make food between guests. It’s a very popular show in the U.K.

He’s talking about Gene currently! He’s not called him yet though or swore

3 Likes

For those who are interested in the technical side of Formula 1, this article on Red Bull’s suspension design explains a significant reason why the RB-19 is as fast as it is.

Tl;dr - The RB-19 and its suspension is another Adrian Newey-designed masterstroke and different from most of the rest of the grid. You can argue that the suspension is the biggest reason the RB-19 is awesome almost everywhere, in every condition.

It’s also why Red Bull is likely to struggle at Monaco. :open_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Oh, @Legacy_of_Power_A_Po, it’s race week. Quali is on Friday morning in North America. Get your fantasy team in! :smiling_face: :laughing:

1 Like

Hey Post Racing!

For those of you who enjoy ratings talk in professional wrestling, rival racing categories are going head-to-head and competing for American racing fan eyeballs this weekend.

The NASCAR Cup Series AventHealth 400 from Kansas Speedway is on FS1 at 3:00 p.m. ET.
The Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix (:heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) is on ABC and ESPN, with lights out around 3:30 p.m.

Last year, Formula 1 defeated NASCAR in the 18-49 demo, while NASCAR had the edge in 50+ and total viewers. Sound familiar from wrestling talk in the past?

Something to keep an eye on when the ratings are released. Bonus points if you watch both and pick up on all the subtle shots the third man in the NASCAR commentary booth takes at Formula 1 during the NASCAR race. LOL

I will also dig and find the attendance for the NASCAR EchoPark Grand Prix and the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix for later this season, when F1 visits CoTA for a direct “asses in seats” comparison, albeit at different times of the year.

Also, will Checo beat Max in a straight fight on the streets again? :thinking:

Zoom zoom!

3 Likes

Why exactly is Ferrari so good at one lap pace in qualifying but so weak in race pace compared to its competition? Aside from the car, is Leclerc a one-trick pony when it comes to qualifying and maybe not the best race-day driver?

Leclerc is the best driver over one lap in Formula 1. Put them all in equal machinery, he takes pole. Charles is great at pushing the car to the limit when the fuel load is light.

However, it’s really easy to go over that edge…especially when the cars are full of fuel: they don’t react the same. Leclerc often makes mistakes in races by trying to push to the limit he knows, but not what the car can handle.

So, there are two answers to the Lecrec answer: amazing over one lap, and what makes him great over one lap is often his undoing in the race.

Miami was worse for Lecrec because he was running an extreme setup that didn’t work at all.

As for the Ferrari’s quali to race pace, it’s a couple of things but mainly how the Ferrari generates temperature into its front tires and its cornering balance.

The Ferrari’s cornering balance in the race was all over the place this weekend. When you don’t know how the car is going to react through a corner, you approach the corners differently.

See Daniel Ricciardo at McLaren.

As for tire warmup: this is the RB-19’s weakness (along with a fragile transmission) and it comes from the suspension design that the entire aero platform is built on - the same platform that has the RB-19 on pace to be among the greatest race cars ever. Nothing is perfect and there is give and take.

The Ferrari is great at warming up the tires from its mechanical platform. This helps with the one-lap pace. However, this leads to Ferrari having higher mechanical and thermal degradation of the tires over a long stint, especially when you increase the weight of the car by 100 kg’s of fuel. Add to this the fact that the Ferrari still seems to struggle with bouncing when it’s ride-height is too close to the ground and you get a machine off the pace and looking around for answers.

The Ferrari’s Aerodynamic efficiency is limited in a few regards and is the biggest reason for this Ferrari trend. In a straight line, The Ferrari is more draggy and not as aerodynamically efficient as the Red Bull.

Hope that helps!

So is that most team’s same struggle with competing against red bull? What is different about red bull where theres so much of a gap?

Basically yes.

There are a lot of differences between each car, but the Red Bull is the best at creating the best possible aerodynamic efficiency and balance possible at various ride heights.

The honda-RBPT power unit is pretty ok, as well. The design of the turbocharger works well across all altitudes but is exceptionally efficient at higher altitudes.

I posted a great article earlier in the thread about the role that Red Bull’s suspension design plays in the RB-19 being so aerodynamically efficient. Everything from the nose to the venturi tunnels/floor, leading edge, suspension, rear wing design, and everything in between work harmoniously as one. It’s an engineering work of art.

1 Like

Ratings update y’all!

Miami GP on ABC: 1.646 Million (P2+), 625,000 in 18-49. 0.9 (With a one-hour, super-sized, Americanized pre-show). NOTE: there are no numbers from ESPN+, which was streaming the Miami GP as well.

NASCAR Cup Series AdventHealth 400: 2.352 million (P2+), 430,000 in 18-49. 1.35.

RERUN: Miami GP on ESPN 2 at 8:17 p.m.: 117,000, 30K in 18-49, 0.06.

Miami GP qualifying ((Saturday at 12:25 p.m.): 751,000 (P2+), 328,000 in 18-49, 0.33) rated higher than NASCAR Truck Series qualifying & race, and the Cup Series qualifying. In fact, FP3 - the session which usually has the least action and consequences - was rated higher than the Cup Series and Truck Series qualifying.

This is the second year in a row that the Miami GP has defeated whatever corporate-sponsored named NASCAR race that went head-to-head in 2022.

Nascar is trash. F1 is a gentleman’s sport.

2 Likes

Hey Y’all!

I know y’all have like 16 thousand hours of wrestling to consume this weekend but in my world, we’re focused on two of the Crown Jewels of Motorsports: the Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix and the Indianapolis 500.

As for F1 talk, Mercedes has finally brought its raft of upgrades to the W-14 this weekend, bringing a new technical path, and hopes they’ll return to the front.

Anyway, thought I’d get this in before the board gets overrun by info, news, and talk from the 16 thousand hours of wrestling shows this weekend. Enjoy!

2 Likes

I’m pumped!! Can’t wait for this with my new Mercedes rain jacket/windbreaker on lol I’ll be a little busy attending both Impact Under Seige and the following days Impact tv taping, but F1 comes ahead of AEW for me, will probably watch that Monday, and have zero intention to watch NXT lol

1 Like

Almost could have said this about WWE too if it were a different Saudi show.

1 Like

I enjoy all these races but man does it get old and a bit boring when no one can compete with Red Bull every time.

1 Like

Is this best race in recent memory? Brilliant racing all around

2 Likes

DTS Spoilers:

The storyline will be complete when Ricciardo is back in a red Bull, challenging for the World title. This booking stuff….

RIP de Vries.

2 Likes