PostMarks Profiles

I was gonna say if anyone would like to add 5 questions of their own feel free… it’ll be nice to keep this going.

First event live:

British wrestling at Stockport town hall in the UK
I remember Giant Haystacks, Kendo Nagasaki and some huge dude with a whip?!

3 Likes

That would have been my first show. I was four years old. Remember bits of Hogan, Jake, Honky and Demolition.

4 Likes

My first show was with my friends back in High School. The date was April 12th, 1999 at Joe Louis Arena…specifically, the Raw where this happened:

1 Like

What era did you grow up with:
90’s

Who was the wrestler who first caught your eye:
Sting, Ultimate Warrior, Papa Shango

Who was the wrestler who kept you coming back for more: Bret, Sting

Who was the wrestler that made you Fast Forward:
Nothing immediately - but by the time the late 90’s came, whatever long promo segment that opened RAW every week.

What PPV have you watched more than any other:
Honestly, no idea. Summer Slam 92? Mania X7?

What match was your first 5 Star classic:
Bret Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith - Summer Slam 92

Who’s your favourite wrestler today:
Generally a hard question… Haven’t really had a favourite since Bret. But I’ll say:
Bryan Danielson

What was the first wrestling event you attended live?
December 27, 1992. My dad took me for a Christmas present to Maple Leaf Gardens, as he knew my new hobby was something I enjoyed a lot.

3 Likes

What era did you grow up with:
It wasn’t easy to follow wrestling in the UK! I used to watch WWF in around 1992 at my friend’s house as his grandmother would tape the shows on VHS and send them to him in the post. That lasted probably a few months, and then I got back in to things during a family holiday to Orlando in 1999.
Who was the wrestler who first caught your eye:
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Who was the wrestler who kept you coming back for more:
Kane - I was really in to the Kane & X-Pac tag team in 1999 and the storyline where he gained his voice
Who was the wrestler that made you Fast Forward:
None really spring to mind. Maybe somebody like Gangrel?
What PPV have you watched more than any other:
The recently reviewed Breakdown 1998, it was the only show I had on VHS and I rewatched it constantly.
What match was your first 5 Star classic:
Triple H vs Cactus Jack from the 2000 Rumble
Who’s your favourite wrestler today:
Gunther
An NXT house show in Blackpool, England

2 Likes

Respect for Papa Shango. Never had a pay-per-view match outside of a Royal Rumble (where I think he was the first one eliminated) and the majority of his run was before Raw, so he didn’t even have meaningful TV matches. But if you’re of a certain age, he’s a top five memory from that era.

We’re probably lucky we even got that, considering the first notable thing he did was blow the finish to a Mania main event.

5 Likes

He had such a cool look and aura.
He was like a true cartoon villian come to life.

The Superstars episode that hooked me was the black ooze Warrior curse one. So they played a whole video package on the fued up until then, and it was gripping stuff.

My first house show main event being Taker / Shango was like a supernatural dream match. Originally it was Taker / Nailz, but that’s the week Nailz got fired.

3 Likes

Papa Shango scared the shit out of me as a kid. I know exactly what you are talking about lol.

2 Likes

Guys like Shango, Nailz and heel Doink all freaked me out. But a lot of it was the commentary. They knew exactly how to put these weird heels over and treat them seriously.

One of my earlier house show moments that stands out to me was seeing Kamala vs Hogan. Kamala was completely terrifying to a six year old - the music, the weapons he carried out, the mask, his behaviour. Won’t ever forget that lol

4 Likes

A 1999 episode of Monday Night Nitro from Phoenix, Arizona. We couldn’t hear a blasted thing until the Main Event because of a problem with the PA system. I only watched the episode back last year and missed a truly insane Randy Savage promo but some pretty good in-episode storylines. But look at those runtimes! Even early WrestleManias would tell this card to stretch the matches out a bit.

This show also saw the return of the Outsiders who returned to face two well endowed women in a tag match as a setup for a Goldberg beatdown. It sounds sophomoric (and it was - but it was 1999), but I did laugh when I watched it back a much older man in 2023.

My biggest memory is of the Main Event. We were surrounded by about 200 12 year olds, it seemed and Goldberg was OVER with them. I thought for sure that Goldberg was getting the win so my roommate and I taunted rest of the crowd with claims that Bret was gonna beat Goldberg. When it happened (thanks to a revenge spot by The Outsiders), the kids got mad. I know they were only 12 but there was about 200 of them. Kinda thought I was going to be the victim of a pre-teen mass assault.

1 Like

It’s so gloriously WCW….:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::laughing:

1 Like

What era did you grow up with: if watching wrestling with my Grandpa growing up counts? Early 90s wCw, if on my own? 98/99 wCw (shortly after his passing, helped the grieving process honestly)

Who was the wrestler who first caught your eye: Sting, in fact it’s my earliest childhood memory, playing with toys as my Grandpa watched wCw, asking who this colorful guy was, oh that’s Sting, he’s my new favourite!

Who was the wrestler who kept you coming back for more: AJ Styles, as I told John & Wai on a Rewind episode once, I tuned in to TNA the first time for Sting, but came back every week for Styles!

Who was the wrestler that made you Fast Forward: Jinder, Rebel, Miz, House of Torture to name a few

What PPV have you watched more than any other: TNA Unbreakable 2005, which I had John & Wai do for Rewind a Wai #86

What match was your first 5 Star classic: Sting vs Flair, my grandpa had it taped so I watched it a ton, earliest Sting I could find lol

Who’s your favourite wrestler today: Josh Alexander

First show I attended: wCw Mayhem 99, I was rooting for Jarrett though lol

Then to add my own….

All time fav promotion: TNA Wrestling

Fav faction: nWo Wolfpac, with honourable mention to the Main Event Mafia

Best show you’ve seen live: Impact Slammiversary 2018

And just as fun to me, what are your spouses (if you have one) fav promotion and wrestlers: my fiancée favs would be AEW as promotion, with favourites like Ospreay, Orange Cassidy, Trey Miguel & MCMG

2 Likes

My wife is not a wrestling fan whatsoever, however she did go to a couple shows with me in the early 2010’s. I do remember she liked Randy Orton and Kofi Kingston lol.

2 Likes

Hi all … want to try and post more in 2024, so great place to start!

What era did you grow up with: Early 90s WWF/WCW but 1997 ECW, nwo/wcw & Austin/Hart hooked me for life.
Who was the wrestler who first caught your eye: Ultimate Warrior
Who was the wrestler who kept you coming back for more:oddly… The Sandman
Who was the wrestler that made you Fast Forward: Billy Gunn
What PPV have you watched more than any other: ECW Heatwave 98
What match was your first 5 Star classic: Austin/Bret WM13
Who’s your favourite wrestler today: *Swerve *

4 Likes

Love the thread! The last few weeks have been really shitty weeks to be a wrestling fan as I think the last thing any of us want to discuss when escaping reality in this world we call wrestling is rape and potential coverups.

Very appreciated, thank you.

3 Likes

All time fav promotion: hmmm I don’t have one. AEW may be in a few years time. It’s giving me everything I wanted as a fan but I still have a soft spot for for WWE.

Fav faction: Main Event Mafia were awesome! But The Heenan Family ruled supreme for me.

Best show you’ve seen live: All Out 2023

spouses opinion: wrestling stupid…ask me again next year. I’m working on her

4 Likes

Favorite Promotion: Ok. Considering I’m not actively watching or following, I’ll answer with past eras: NJPW from 2013-2020, WCW 1991-1996, WWF 1991-1998 (WrestleMania 14). Don’t judge me on those last two. I loved AJPW and NOAH for periods. AEW from 2019-2021 was wonderful.

Favorite Faction: Suzuki Gun ichiban. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blush:

Spouses Opinion: I’m single. Should I ask my neighbor? LOL. :laughing:

2 Likes

Well I did say IF you have one, just ignore me otherwise :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My first live event was a WWF house show in 1994 at the dearly departed Philadelphia Spectrum. Cagematch has it as being the week before WrestleMania X, but it has the match order incorrect.

It was all tag team matches, and the main event was Bret Hart & Lex Luger over Owen Hart & IRS. It also included Yokozuna & Bastion Booger over Men on a Mission, and Bam Bam Bigelow & Luna Vachon vs. Doink & Dink, which was on that WrestleMania card.

1 Like

What era did you grow up with: First watched WWE Smackdown in 2004
Who was the wrestler who first caught your eye: John Cena
Who was the wrestler who kept you coming back for more: CM Punk
Who was the wrestler that made you Fast Forward: The Miz
What PPV have you watched more than any other: Two come to mind: Money in the Bank 2011 & NXT Takeover: Chicago 2017
What match was your first 5 Star classic: John Cena vs Edge - Unforgiven 2006
Who’s your favourite wrestler today: Kenny Omega
Favorite Promotions today? AEW, TNA & NJPW

What was the first wrestling event you attended live? NXT Takeover: Chicago 2017 - to me, one of the greatest WWE PLEs of all-time.