Smackdown on FOX

"What the hell does their skin color have to do with anything? "

Given the history of professional wrestling in the US, I find it quite reasonable to be interested in how WWE deals with these issues.

“I don’t know why some people feel the need to always have to point this shit out or talk about politics or whatever. It’s fucking wrestling.”

Well, you must be really out of place when WWE positions that picture of MLK strategically on certain shows, or when WWE plays to the American-militarism with their “Troops” specials, etc.

You might feel threatened by real life impinging on your escapism, but that’s what happens.

If you think this is bad, you should check out the MCU or Star Trek gnashings of teeth.

2 Likes

Give me a fucking break. This has nothing to do with what’s happened in the history of pro wrestling. A guy who is a fucking beast, beat a guy who is a midcarder at best. Nothing to do with color.

And I don’t really give a shit what videos WWE shows, I’m talking people on these forums who start bringing up politics in angles and stuff, like the whole Hager/MAGA deal in one of the other threads.

So Tyson Fury is an undefeated pro boxer who won the lineal world title back in 2015. He was known for being an outlandish personality (see Conor McGregor for reference) and he said a lot of controversial things regarding topics like abortion and the homophobia you mentioned.

Not long after he won the world title, he relinquished it because he was battling substance abuse as well mental health issues. Bipolar disorder and manic depression I believe. He came back to fighting 3 years later, and was very open about his demons, dropped the character, and he grew in popularity big time.

He’s one of the biggest boxing stars in the world right now and he’s still undefeated. He’s also probably more charismatic then anyone in the WWE right now, but we’ll see where they go with that.

2 Likes

Was shocked to see Cain so quickly caught me off guard. But Kofi deserved better than that. Knew he was going to lose tonight but damn at least give him a kick out something. Overall enjoyed tonight.

Damn, shows how much I pay attention to boxing. From what you’ve said there, it sounds like he turned himself around. I guess some people can’t move on and forgive.

1 Like

Imagine if you’re one of many viewers who had no idea who Cain was and the UFC history with Lesnar. It’s just some podgy looking dude who came down and scared off the much bigger and more intimidating man who just became your new champion by destroying his opponent. I know who Cain is and it doesn’t even make sense to me.

1 Like

Kofi deserves way better than this. As to undeserved why? Who should have been in that spot, he had an organic push, then after mania WWE killed his Reign with bad matchups and booking decisions. Did he need to have a long title run. No, but they could have at least put him in some marque matchups after his match with Daniel Bryan. I mean why didn’t they do AJ heel turn with the OC on Smackdown? Perfect fit for a New Day feud. He could have lost the belt and regained it against Orton having Orton pull out a shady win. They could have put him over on Brock when Brick had Money in the bank instead of the terrible feud Brock had with Rollins. He got a good push to Mania and everything after that was half hearted.

3 Likes

My problem with the squash is that it didn’t make Brock look bad ass it made Kofi look stupid. It was akin to Daniel Bryan turning into a brogue kick. Kofi essentially leapt into an F5. You want him to look bad ass you have a match like his first one with Cena,
Where Kofi fights but can never really get going and just gets punished. At least that makes Kofi look like he has heart and grit but is hopelessly out matched.

1 Like

He forgot to mention the transphobia and neo-nazi level anti-semitism about Jews owning all the banks, media etc.

Also, “turned himself around” means giving a generic non-apology and claiming he was taken out of context then learning to keep his mouth shut and going on a calculated PR and image repair tour.

1 Like

It is undeserved, because he is not a main event talent. Just like Jinder Mahal wasnt a main event talent. You give these guys title runs, when they were nobodies before and they proved why they shouldnt have been on that level. Jinder was given countless matches and wins over top talent, but was having garbage matches with all of them. Kofi was winning pretty much every match. In a world where 50/50 booking was the norm, this guy was virtually unbeatable for a good while. He couldnt put on big time matches though.

Now, put Big E in the same spot and that is a legit threat to Brock Lesnar.

Well, as I said…I never heard of the guy before tonight. So I cant comment whether he should be there or not. If he did all this shit, its probably best he wasnt.

That’s all very true, but a person can also change a lot in four years, especially after getting professional help. As someone who works with people in similar situations every day it’s amazing how much people can change their views once they learn to cope with the issues that are consuming their own lives.
That being said, I’d urge anyone interested to make their own judgement call concerning Fury, as he has made horrendous comments over the years. I don’t think anyone would rationally blame you for not supporting him.

1 Like

Wait a minute, some guy I’ve never seen or heard of before gets on WWE television, but has said mean words about the LBGTQIA+KFPD community a while ago? Aww hell no.

He must be exterminated.

I’m going on Twitter to woke my voice and get some agency for this problematic.

1 Like

This :arrow_up:
:100: co-sign

1 Like

I’m watching with somebody who has no idea who Cain is beyond a name from UFC. Had no knowledge Cain and Brock fought in UFC.

And what was with the fucking knee brace over the jeans? We couldn’t have him wear sweats and hide the brace?

2 Likes

WWE is just getting fans prepared for Cain’s gimmick of “injured- out for 8 months”.

2 Likes

I mean the they started Friday Night SmackDown on Fox with…

The Raw’s Women Champion.

You can give a zebra a bath but it’ll always keep its stripes

Oh please his matches were fine just as good as the guys you think are a big deal it is the booking that was crap. Undeserved is a silly idea when the hole show is scripted. If the writers write bad stories you get bad stories. Let’s not put Kofi in ring on the level of Jinder.

1 Like

Thought the whole show was pretty good for a SD/Raw show. And the whole Kofi thing, true you could have booked him better, but what’s the end goal? Kofi has still been making jokes, throwing pancakes and as a character hasn’t really been taking things too seriously. Brock as champ makes sense. He’s a big draw, looks great for the Fox debut and the Cain match Is something different and interesting to build to. For Kofi maybe it brings a character change for him, maybe it gives a fresh look at the pancakes and maybe, just maybe it does a slow build up chase to get that title back. I mean, imagine 6 months of chasing and him getting the title off Brock at Mania?
It’s just to say, the Sky isn’t falling.

1 Like

I just want to point something that some might have missed (haven’t read all of the comments): aside the fact that Roman was all over the cap of the show, do you realize that we have him and Brock on the same show again?

Oh my God…

1 Like