The POST - NBA Discussion Thread

This may not be the right thread for you

2 Likes

The rumor was that they offered him a very short contract and he was insulted.

They were also forcing him to take Jason Kidd as an assistant.

Short contact and an assistant that LeBron loves, for God knows what reason, feels like a recipe for disaster. That head coach has a bullseye on him.

The Phil think was bizarre!
Hiring a guy who everyone knew going in would do the job part-time and still had to contend with Steve Mills and the cohort of Dolan ppl.

I’m all for a player league - wasn’t complaining just giving a personal anecdote as to why may never passionately root for a team that I grew up loving.

Kyrie is a weird bird.

Two game 7s on a Sunday is cool!

1 Like

Yup. Phil working part time was brutal. He was also so stuck in the past.

I definitely get what you mean. I was a die-hard Knicks fan in the 90s but today I’m a fan of individual players or teams that have a play style I enjoy (Denver). A part of me does miss living and dying with one team but I’d be in an insane asylum today if I tried to love the Knicks like I did as a kid.

Did anyone have Portland going to the western conference finals?

Very impressive

I bet them to win the series once they advanced to the Semis. Think they’ll get beat in 5 in the WCF.

So I came up with this:
Curry - Davidson
Thompson - Wash St.
Lillard - Weber St.
CJ - Lehigh

The best four players in the WCF (until Durant plays). That’s incredible to me!

1 Like

Also: want to share a story on the back of the idea the NBA fan has more allegiance to players than teams:

In 2009 I interned at the NBA and had the chance to work at the Draft, Pre-Draft Photo Shoot and Press day for the “green room invitees”, and then the Rookie Photo Shoot and symposium/orientation.

That’s the year Blake went 1, Harden 3, and Steph was drafted to GS.

A side note on James Harden: he was the clas clown, dancing and joking and everyone wanted to be around him. I knew he was special at that moment and even though my Syracuse Orange beat him in the tournament and I was very underwhelmed by him I could tell he had this infectious personality that was different.

Now, Steph, my favorite player.

The day after the draft (or before, I forget) was his Dad’s birthday. They told me when his name got called to go to the kitchen, get a birthday cake, and bring it backstage. I did, and then I cut the Curry family slices of cake.
Steph politely declined saying he “didn’t like chocolate”. Being a intern I took that literally and cut out all the chocolate pieces and then said, “here Steph, I don’t like chocolate either but the Vanila ice cream is the best part anyway”. He thanked me. Had a fork full and put it down.

Fast forward to the room symposium where they all get their first trading cards and whatnot and on one of the afternoons he was sitting alone at a park table having lunch during a break. I was on break as well and decided I’d approach him. I remember laughing as I said “Steph, don’t you have any friends? May I join you”. He laughed and said guess not, and said sure. I started to tell him I doubt he remembers me but at the draft I was the one who brought their family the cake. He cut me off saying, yeah you cut out the chocolate for me, that was cool, but I was so nervous I’d drop it on my suit when I had to go do interviews and pictures. We laughed. (It occurred to me that back then he probably was very good at recognizing ppl having only gone to a school of 3500 and being the big star on campus; he was very humble and friendly, something I wouldn’t expect a big school kid to be, but he wasn’t that).

Not wanting to be a pandering babbling idiot I didn’t want to talk about his fam or my past basketball days, so I asked him if he cared where he was drafted, whether that’s something he thought about or if he was just happy to get his name called. He told me he was just hoping he wouldn’t get picked by Minnasota (who had two picks before he got called). His reason: “I hate the cold, and that would have ruined my golf game”.
I, myself being a big golfer, jumped at that. I said oh I didn’t know you play, I love golf. He told me it was his other passion and he grew up going at it with his Dad on the course - to which I told him that was exactly the same for me - and the next 20 minutes we shared stories about competing with and against our dads on the golf course.
To this day, I wish I could bump into him and ask him if he recalls those days when he was a fresh draft pick. Part of me thinks no way, but part of me wonders if he still has the great recall like when he was a small school guy.

Regardless, I’m forever going to root for him. The 2015 and 2016 season I rooted for GS and when they brought in KD it was the first time in my life I was not a fan of a front runner - I was a Knicks fan in the 90s and Mets fan. I still “root” for the Warriors. Not because I’m a fan of the team, but because I will forever be a big Steph fan.

3 Likes

I knew they could beat Denver. I just way overrated OKC in round one .

1 Like

Bounce. Bounce. Bounce. Bounce… Eastern Conference Finals!!
KAWHI not?

2 Likes

Revenge for the carter miss

2 Likes

This is epic

Wonder if Anthony Davis still wants to leave new Orleans lol

1 Like

I’m crushed…

Either way NO is in a great spot. I think Zion & AD could be a nice 1-2 punch, but if he’s still intent on getting to a bigger market, The Pelicans can get a nice package of picks/young players to compliment Zion. :100:

2 Likes

That combo could be the best in the west if ad stays. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

AD isn’t staying

Who were you pulling for ?

Knicks

3rd pick is better than what it could have been but I had my hopes up

Pre RJ Era…still great

Bucks are good. I enjoy all 4 teams in left. I enjoy Golden St cuz Klay Thompson went to WSU which is only 30 minutes north of me and of course love me some KD. Portland is technically the default team of the Northwest. Milwaukee and Toronto are fun to watch and it’s fun to see some fresh teams in contention. For once I can just enjoy hoops and not have to root heavily against somebody!

1 Like