The POST -- NHL Discussion Thread

I would have thought that they would have put a limit on how much Overtime is played.

Can’t be good for the players and I surely the TV companies would want a better indication on when a game will likely finish.

1 Like

In the regular season, if overtime is done and is still tied, there are shoot-outs. Should be the same for post-season.

Shootouts are garbage. If they brought them into the playoffs, that would turn the NHL into a joke.

1 Like

Yeah shootouts are crap. At some point I think they will likely get rid of them in the regular season and just go back to ties. In no way do they prove who the better team is.

No no no no no! Shootouts are a gimmick that we’re created to send fans home satisfied in the regular season so it doesn’t end in a tie. Under no circumstances do I want playoff games decided on a gimmick.

1 Like

Tv stations love OT. we’re not talking original programming here when it’s 1am. What CBC was airing last night when the OT aired was reruns of Mr. D.

Might as well flip a coin. Shootouts have no place in playoffs. Imagine it’s game 7 in the final and the winner is decided this way, it’d be dumb as hell and unrewarding for the players.

2 Likes

You’ve opened a can of worms here. Overtime is the ultimate do or die, the “it could end at any point” is the exact selling point.

2 Likes

The Florida Panthers eliminated three of the top four regular season teams on the way to the Stanley Cup Final (Boston - 1, Carolina - 2, Toronto 4). They did it in 16 games. They’ve won 11 of their last 12 games.

When they face Vegas in the Stanley Cup Finals, they will play the team that had the fifth-best regular season record.

And they were down 3-1 in the first round.

What a run.

1 Like

100% agree. I think unfortunately people always look at things through a glass half empty type of lense, and for whatever reason the narrative from some became “Look how Boston choked” when in reality the narrative was “Florida is playing excellent hockey”. In the end the Bruins are going to have likely lost to the eventual cup champions in game 7 OT. And this is not coming from a Bruins fan, I hate Boston.

This run reminds me of the LA Kings back in 2012.

1 Like

Well the Dallas Stars vs Las Vegas Knights western conference finals have been a wild ride.

I knew Vegas was good but they absolutely dominated the first three games. And to make things worse the Stars fell apart in game 3 with some despicable play by Jamie Benn completely screwing his own team. I thought for sure it was over and Vegas would sweep.

Then somehow Dallas got two wins to get my hopes back up. Which makes tonight’s massive loss at home even worse. What a shame.

I would have loved to have seen the Stars get to the Stanley Cup finals again. When they were there in 2020 but it didn’t feel the same being the Covid year with no fans.

2 Likes

Dafuq? He sure did a hell of a job in Calgary.

1 Like

I don’t think he did bad in Calgary. He built a #2 seeded team that had two not players (Johnny hockey and Tkachuk) who wanted out. At least with Tkachuk he was able to get a 100 point scorer and a top 4 Dman. It’s not easy being a GM in Alberta, nobody wants to play there.

1 Like

I am from Calgary and hate follow the Flames. LOL. He did a really good job. He made some very good draft picks, he can be pretty interesting to listen to you - like he’ll let you in a little more, and he’s up for a trade.

It’s not his fault people don’t want to play in Alberta. That makes sense unless you get to play with McDavid, then Edmonton seems tolerable.

Tree has made bad moves as well, but the Bennett trade was the beginning of the end of a core they were building. Then Johnny bolts at the 11th hour. They had Tkachuk tagged as the future captain, but they bridge-dealed him and he wasn’t staying in Alberta if Gaudreau isn’t there.

He dropped the ball with Giordano in a couple of regards.

This is likely to get fun. Toronto fans and media will make it difficult to be a hockey fan in general. LOL.

1 Like

Game 2 so far, you can tell Florida is frustrated. They got the best of the Bruins. They smothered Toronto and played a one dimensional Carolina team. Vegas is countering them and shutting down their strengths. Florida is having trouble getting through the neutral zone which they did fairly easily the first three series. Not to mention matching their physicality. The big bad bullies are now getting bullied back. It’s not over by any means but Florida has their work cut out for them. Down 2-0. Stay out of the box and don’t get frustrated and get into extra stuff after the whistle.

1 Like

Agreed. Just to add to that, Bob is no longer standing on his head.

To put it in perspective, vs Toronto he let in 10 goals in 5 games.

Vs Carolina he let in 6 goals in 4 games.

Vs Vegas he has let in 8 goals in 2 games.

HUGE drop off for him. This next game is huge, if Florida looses they are done. If they win, they are right back in it.

Yep, its over. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. This is one of the most well rounded complete dominant teams I’ve ever seen. No player hasn’t stepped up.

Seeing pictures of their crowd it’s amazing how little they care. Leafs fans would have gone crazy

1 Like

Ya that’s the part of this that is so unsatisfying about Vegas winning. Even the “hardcore” fans, have only even watched the team for 5 years.

My father in law for example has been a Leafs fan since he was a kid, has never seen them win a cup (unless you count when he was like a toddler) in over 50 years. Its fans like that you can feel happy for when a team wins. Cant do that with Vegas.

2 Likes

Speak for yourselves. I’m completely satisfied. I’m a Bruins diehard. I bleed black and gold, but when I visited Vegas twice in 2019, I adopted them as my Western conference team and the team I’d back if the Bruins ever lost in the playoffs. Then Bruce Cassidy, my all time favorite Boston Bruins coach went there and they laid a beat down on the Panthers and it was sweet. I had a tear in my eye watching Bruce lift the cup, something he deserved to do as a Bruin.