Why Is Turner Fine with AEW Promoting a Competing Network?

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. I doubt they are even on TNT’s radar.

Lol, this is so true. Its crazy how these promotions are able to convince people that they are “a part of the team”. The closest comparable I can think of is in team sports where you have one fan base (ie. yankees fans) that just loathe another franchise and its fans (ie. Red Sox fans) and vice versa.

The more and more I think about it, the more I like this is idea, especially if it turns into some type of developmental system for AEW. We all see how well NXT has gone for WWE, and if AEW can do something similar with Impact, that would be awesome for the business. WWE essentially restocked/built/developed its entire woman’s division via NXT, I have to think AEW would love to do the same thing.

Only if they are making a profit from that deal.

One thing about this; Don Callis and Impact will be the biggest winners from this.

1 Like

Access (I don’t know how it’s spelled) is in 50% less homes than TNT. I wouldn’t call it “a competing network”.

I’ll make a different comparison. It’s The Political scene. Competing sides can do the same thing and different bases hate or love it. Goal of both is to entertain the fans and yet they claim their way is the best way.

1 Like

So they want me to think they’re a bunch of small time, petty morons? Credit to them, they’re doing a great job. I’m sure their Trumpish tactics will serve them well. It definitely tricks the hardcore AEW fans into thinking that WWE light is actually something completely new.

https://youtu.be/Q7315B9MHEo
Yeah, it’s real petty to attack your competition on t.v…

Odd how the content aged

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/Zb0b0uFDnbI
Never happened, I guess?

1 Like

I literally said “Not to say WWE aren’t petty either”… then talked about how similar they are in a lot of what they do and AEW aren’t much of an alternative.

You AEW hardcore fans are something else.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is saying WWE is NOT petty. I think that is pretty much one thing everyone agrees on.

Again, I think the original point was regarding the hypocrisy of some fans for AEW being lauded for something WWE is bashed for.

So if we agree all companies have a streak of pettiness to them, then what exactly is the complaint? It’s a part of the product in general, as much as screwjob finishes. And, like screwjob, if they’re overused, it gets can get old

3 Likes

You’re not wrong, but wrestling fans will be wrestling fans. Just remember that the word “fan” comes from the word “fanatic”, very applicable to a lot of wrestling fans with their love and their hate in this world. If everyone just turned it down a notch, there would be significantly less arguing. Not that its ever going to happen lol.

And fans went wild for those Billionaire Ted bits…

One of the dumbest things WWE has ever done, which didn’t even have a prayer to draw a dime, is not compelling evidence that AEW should be taking shots at the competition.

Personally I like it when the companies take shots at each other as long as its done sparingly. When a company goes overboard (see TNA, and IMO BTE) I feel it gets old really quick. They also have to be careful with what they say, Taz’s “sloppy shop” comment for example didn’t age well when AEW had their outbreak. When its done here and there, it can be awesome.

One good one I remember is when Kurt Angle suggested tongue ad cheek for Owens and Zane to go to TNA after they were fired from SD. Another was when Jericho made the “bad creative” comment. I dont love breaking the 4th wall, but it was funny.

As for the billionaire Ted skits, they were dumb.

I think the stuff on BTE is fun and harmless. I also liked the sloppy shop and bad creative comments. I was not a fan of the Cody breaking the throne deal and I absolutely fucking hate Tony Khan, constantly mentioning beating NXT. It feels so low rent.

1 Like

I don’t watch BTE but it seems like it’s funny, and meant just for the smarky audience anyway. And the bad creative joke was fine because it was funny and true, and they needed to try to squash those chants ASAP if Hager was going to have a prayer at getting over.

I thought “sloppy shop” missed the mark. It just became a rallying cry for sycophants who wanted to frame every WWE positive or precaution as due to corporate negligence. but find a way to excuse every AEW positive/precaution.

And the throne thing was bold if nothing else. But at the time, the talking point was how they’re not competing with WWE, when obviously they were taking a direct shot.

1 Like

Don’t Japanese companies who are rivals share talent and have crossovers from time to time and over the years? This is a bigger deal here in North America bc of Vince, his monopolistic views and the Monday night wars.

I realize most people won’t agree with me about BTE, and that’s ok. I don’t think the comments are bad or anything, I just think it’s too frequent. For me, it comes off like an ex who won’t stop talking about you.

1 Like

To be fair, WWE are making it easy for others to poke fun of them.

Oh no argument there, my thoughts are not of a pro WWE sentiment, I just think these kinds of jokes work better when done sparingly.

It’s like a gimmick match, a cage match can be awesome when used properly, when you overdue it, it becomes lame. That’s how I feel about BTE, I think the jokes about WWE would be much better if they were more selective.