Why Is Turner Fine with AEW Promoting a Competing Network?

I’ll reiterate that I don’t watch BTE, but when it comes to WWE jokes in general, there comes a point where you’re just preaching to the choir. It’s something that many of us do here as well – myself included. You make the easy joke for a laugh, but you’re not really breaking new ground when you make the 1,000th quip about guys losing their first name or when you say “it’s such good shit” about a goofy segment.

And that’s all fine if your audience digs it. But it would be misguided to think that strategy is helping you attract new viewers or anything like that. And if you think you’re going to win over WWE fans by insinuating that they’re dumb for liking what they like, you’re dead wrong.

1 Like

“Profit” in this sense though includes if it would be more or less costly to fill these two hours on Wednesday night with something else.

Agreed.

If anything, I think it may have an adverse effect. For example, in the 90’s when Vince ran the billionaire ted skit, I was not a fan of WCW, however those skit got me intrigued into what they were doing.

Errrr, no it doesn’t. Profit is defined in the dictionary as “a financial gain, especially the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying, operating, or producing something”.

Well since BR Live runs the AEW ppvs they stand to directly profit from good buy rates which seem like the goal by breaking down invisible walls

1 Like

There has been a lot of discussion on what network executives might think of the development and what the ratings are. But very little about the actual match itself, the title change, the heel turn or the tease of appearing on Impact.

So what did everyone actually think of the stuff we actually saw on TV? Did you think the match lived up to the hype? Are you happy with the title switch and heel turn? Any guesses as to what happens on Impact or Dynamite next week?

I believe there was a ton of talk about that in the feedback thread.

I think the feedback thread was only on the Patreon forum.

Oh, I didn’t even know there was a Patreon forum lol.

1 Like

The “buying, operating or producing something” for Turner is the Wednesday 8-10pm eastern time slot on TNT. They have to broadcast something. They have to consider if there is something they could buy or produce themselves and what that would cost and the ratings it would get.

@RedRaider07 It delivered the kind of show that warranted being given one of the most iconic pop culture references of the last few years owned by Warner Media. The Sting reveal was a huge high and they let that breath and then went into long main event introductions and finally a match that was presented as important. That would be exactly the kind of show I’d want if I’m a Turner exec and was pitched the concept of doing a theme’d freepv.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t pigeon hole WWE as the inventors of self-servicing in wrestling. Historically its always been about the individual. The only exception to that might be the NWA where they worked to maintain the industry, but that was more to consolidate power and cement it rather than improving the ‘health of the business’. Call me cynical but in the capitalist and money making US environment and the context of pro wrestling I’d say there’s more to this than just doing Impact a solid. From what I’ve seen theorised I’m guessing it could be one of three things

1. As mentioned earlier, AEW is looking to launch a streaming subscription service but with only a little over 1 year of content it isn’t worth it currently. Impact is desperate and could sell exclusive rights to the TNA Library over to AEW in return for the hail Mary chance of the exposure this angle is getting.

2. Omega wants to work with his friend and as an EVP has worked the money mark into doing this with some benefits for AEW down the road.

3. Khan sees it as he says, this helps the business and he wants to spread the wealth.

2 Likes

It could also be the point that Nate brought up, that being that AEW wants their own version of NXT.

The more and more I think about it, the more it makes sense. It would give them a place to station talent who they see a future in, but dont have a spot for on the main roster. It allows them to develop talent they way they would like them to be developed (I know this means nothing to fans, but trust me, this matter to promoters). Plus, With WWE signing everyone left and right, at least pre pandemic, it gives AEW the same opportunity to go after guys and not loose money.

If I piggyback what I just said to your first theory about a streaming service, and it could very well be a great business decision AEW as it gives them a decade of footage plus a developmental territory. In addition, if AEW could make TNA “cool” again in the eyes of wrestling fans, maybe down the road they land impact a show on TNT or elsewhere, similar to how WWE got NXT on USA. If WWE has shown anything, its getting a show in prime time in 2020 is how you make big money. More shows = more money.

1 Like

Great point, I suppose the spanner in the works there is, are Impact and Anthem happy with being the subservient part of the deal? They’ve tried to gain back relevance ever since 2018 and the start of the Callis/D’Amore regime but seem to fail to get it to stick to anything meaningful. Does anyone know more about Anthem’s motivations in terms of Impact? Do they want it to just be profitable or is it a cheap way to acquire live television? Is it acceptable to lose money for it?

Going back to AEW I suppose the buzz is also a point in the positive column, along with everything mentioned. I look forward (seemingly with every other wrestling fan currently) to seeing how it plays out in the weeks ahead.

Chris Bey a poor man’s Kofi?