WWE 4Q2019 & FY2019 Earnings Call (2/6/2020) - Discussion Thread

Cody feels like a bigger star than Seth
Jericho feels like a bigger star than Seth
Moxley feels like a bigger star than Seth
MJF feels like a bigger star than Seth
Heck even Orange Cassidy feels like a bigger star than Seth

Does AEW have guys on the draw level of a Ronda or Brock or Rock? Of course not. But they have plenty of guys that draw better than some of the perceived WWE too draws like Seth

1 Like

How do they draw better? Rollins is a bigger star than all of the wrestlers you mentioned bar Jericho. More people know who he is. That’s what being a bigger star is. You like MJF better so we have to pretend he’s a bigger deal? What?

WWE main roster gets more than twice the regular viewership of AEW. And before some idiot tries to say “they’re a new promotion, you can’t expect them to do over 2m already” I’d like to say that I’m not saying that. I’m just pointing out the fact that WWE is a bigger platform for a wrestler and being a featured wrestler on the biggest wrestling platform makes you a bigger name in wrestling. This isn’t about “but I like this guy more”…

MJF gets a reaction - an intended reaction. He’s over. Rollinss as a face got booed and as a heel gets apathy. He’s not over.

Is Rollins a more well known name? Sure. But he’s been around longer. Heck I’m sure more average people know Hacksaw Jim Dugan more than MJF. That doesn’t make him a bigger star. Just because the common person knows how you are means nothing. The common person doesn’t care about Seth Rollins. It’s not super relevant if they recognize him better.

MJF is in hot storylines and people tune in to see him talk. He holds interest. Rollins lost viewers and got fans to turn on him after he beat Brock Lesnar. twice.

More people knowing who you are does make you a bigger star.

Everytime someone tries to desperately defend AEW they have to pretend the world no longer works the way it did. Up is down, left is right. SMH.

Rollins doesn’t get anywhere near the heat MJF does and he wrestles the same way he did when he was a face. MJF talks trash and cheats. That kick to the balls after whipping Cody was more heelish than anything Rollins has ever done

Rollins beat Lesnar twice, they’re tried everything with the guy and he’s still not that over. He wrestles like a face but cannot act or speak well on the mic.

And we know nothing about him. Why is he an architect? Why did he become a messiah? He’s just reading lines and listening to him speak is honestly cringe

Kicking someone in the balls and delivering playground level trash talk… How amazingly new and fresh… and yes, Seth hasn’t cheated at all since turning heel or been heelish at all on the mic… what are you talking about? You AEW hardcores are full of endless amounts of nonsense. And as I’ve said before, the AEW & NXT crowds see themselves as part of the show and play along. It’s like a pantomime. Getting them to play along isn’t much of an achievement. One hurricanrana and they’ll be chanting “This is awesome” and the name of the promotion like a bunch of knobheads.

• Heels can never have good music, it automatically means they’re a babyface.
  • Only moves that can end a match should be used like in AEW.
  • AEW is sports based because they know about numbers.
  • More people knowing you doesn’t mean you’re more known than the guy less people know.
  • AEW have reinvented wrestling by having a heel cut heel promos and kick guy in the balls.

Just some of the insane arguments I’ve seen from people trying to build up AEW. Insane. If you think it’s good, you don’t need to come up with this level of bullshit.

1 Like

He called himself The Architect because he called himself the brains behind The Shield. He’s calling himself The Messiah because he claims he’s gonna save wrestling. This is basic stuff that’s obvious to figure out.

If you don’t pay attention to what’s going on then great but don’t claim you are and then claim they’re not doing anything. You did the same with NXT when you ignorantly claimed NXT just has matches and zero storylines. “Why is this happening? Why is that happening? There’s nothing happening!”

You definitely must be a troll or you’re really at a worrying and embarrassing level of AEW blindness.

1 Like

You can’t compare the two. AEW is a travelling company in front of different fans every week.

That’s not a relevant response to what I said…

The crowds that both shows get see themselves as part of the show whether it’s the same crowd or not. If you’re gonna respond then respond to what I actually said. Or are you just doing your “what’s happening!?” gimmick?

Like if you honestly think think Rollins has been booked to be a more effective heel than MJF I’m not sure what to tell you.

Compare the reactions the two get. One person can talk, the other can’t. It’s not hard to figure out

So every new crowd AEW goes to, all the thousands of people who have never gone to a show, all just choose to play along. Asinine comment

1 Like

Ok? So I’m supposed to boo that because? Wasn’t he saying the exact same things when he was a babyface? Now he’s just wearing a glove and hanging out with different people

Not really an asinine comment at all. Any crowd that chants the name of the wrestling promotion is desperate to play along. AEW fans also seem to be desperate to make sure things workout because they need to pretend they’re a part of a successful revolution that’s not actually taking place.

No he wasn’t saying the exact same thing when he was a babyface.

You’re either a troll or you have issues paying attention to anything that’s happening (unless it’s AEW).

Either way, I’m not going to be engaging with this level of trolling/stupidity. You’re not capable of being objective or rational.

I question how many live wrestling shows you’ve actually been to. Were ECW fans desperate to play along? It’s more fans just being invested in the product.

I find the lame chants to be way more of a problem in NXT - which is shot in the same studio in front of many of the same couple hundred fans every week. They take away from the show IMO

1 Like

When he feuded with Brock it was all about him saving WWE from Lesnar hogging the title.

It’s ok that you don’t know what a heel and face are, WWE doesn’t do turns so it’s difficult for fans like you to appreciate and understand the differences

Sorry, just got to ask… What about AEW has not been successful?

• Made a profit within the first year of operations.
  • Created an environment where talent across the board are able to make more money. If there is no AEW, guys like Anderson and Gallows aren’t getting 500K deals.
  • Have a major cable network behind them, and committed to them for the next three plus years.
  • Have consistently performed at the box office.

Maybe they have vocal fan support because they are doing a good job so far?

3 Likes

Disagree. They don’t feel bigger. Neve rmeant to make that case.
Only meant to point to how there are two different approaches to trying to build a star and WWE has lost its way (using examples from both companies and time periods)

If you go by Attendance and merch sales as a measure of Draw, interesting argument.

This is spot on. No real person goes by one name! Welk at least not many ever make the one name club. Wwe tries presenting Cesaro and Ali like LeBron and the real Ali. It just makes the guys feel silly.

Jericho and Moxley were made stars by WWE. And only feel fresh and like current stars because they are out of WWE and presented as they are in AEW. So both points made are accurate.

I’d ask if Cody is a WWE guy or an AEW Star? He became a star with The BTE/AEW crew.

A better example that’s non-AEW - Marty within wrestling communities is a bigger star than who WWE produces.

The star making conversation is complicated because there’s within wrestling and pop culture. It’s relative. AEW is trying to make stars for wrestling fans and WWE is trying to make stars for USA spinoff shows. So judge it on a curve.