WWE Elimination Chamber 2024 Review

Originally published at WWE Elimination Chamber 2024 Review - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

John Pollock and Wai Ting review WWE Elimination Chamber 2024 from Perth, Australia as WrestleMania’s remaining world title challengers are determined in men’s and women’s Chamber matches. Plus, Cody Rhodes & Seth Rollins on The Grayson Waller Effect.

🌎 Our thanks to NordVPN. Try Nord risk-free with their 30-day money-back guarantee and receive 4 additional months using code ‘postwrestling’: https://nordvpn.com/postwrestling

Ad-free version available for members at POSTwrestlingCafe.com

WWE Elimination Chamber: Perth
February 24, 2024
Optus Stadium
Perth, Western Australia, Australia

• Men’s Elimination Chamber: Drew McIntyre vs. Randy Orton vs. Bobby Lashley vs. LA Knight vs. Kevin Owens vs. Logan Paul
  • Women’s Elimination Chamber: Becky Lynch vs. Bianca Belair vs. Liv Morgan vs. Tiffany Stratton vs. Naomi vs. Raquel Rodriguez
  • Women’s World Championship: Rhea Ripley © vs. Nia Jax
  • The Grayson Waller Effect w/ Cody Rhodes & Seth Rollins
  • Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship: Judgment Day (Finn Balor & Damian Priest) © vs. New Catch Republic (Pete Dunne & Tyler Bate)
  • WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship: Kabuki Warriors (Asuka & Kairi Sane) © vs. Candice LeRae & Indi Hartwell

Photo Courtesy: WWE

Subscribe: https://postwrestling.com/subscribe

Patreon: http://postwrestlingcafe.com

Forum: https://forum.postwrestling.com

Discord: https://postwrestling.com/discord

Merch: https://store.postwrestling.com

X/Facebook/Instagram/YouTube: @POSTwrestling

I’ve just watched some highlights and you can see a few things for WM but really who cares…

AJ vs LA Knight
Paul vs Orton

I see a lot of chat on this board about the ‘awful booking’ of TK but seriously, with their resources WWE should be able to tell better long term stories.

How they’ve completely dropped the ball with the Jimmy and Jay match is just crazy and how it feels like theres nothing for Zayn or KO or Solo Sikoa is pretty pants.

When you have a 2 day event you need like at least 6 ‘main events’ and when you have 2 mens main titles plus the IC, Tags and then the same on the womans side that shouldnt be hard.

The build for this years WM is like All Out 2023

If you’re looking for criticism of WWE booking, you should check this thread out: WrestleMania Press Conference Predictions

But regarding the point, I think it comes down to specifics. The fumble with Mania is that there’s literally nothing to talk about for multiple huge stars. I think we talk plenty about bad WWE booking when there is actual booking to talk about.

For an AEW example, we talked plenty about the trials and tribulations of The Devil angle resulting in the big reveal of a mid card stable. But they haven’t done anything since, so we haven’t really talked about it.

I dont think its really fair to say there has no long term booking.

Cody vs Roman - This match has been in the making for about 15 months.

Seth vs Drew - Can’t really hold this against them, Punk was supposed to be in that spot and they began building this match in November

Becky vs Rhea - This match has been teased all year, to the point where some are criticizing that it was too predictable.

Iyo vs Bailey - This is a story thats been going on for months, really going back to SS.

Jimmy vs Jey - Match has been teased since SS. The Jimmy turn was definitely awful, but they have been kept apart (rightfully so) up until Jimmy costing Jey the IC title last Monday.

Gunther vs Gable - I assume this is where they are going, this match has been built up since Gables great Raw match with Gunther on Raw.

AJ vs Knight - Ya I give you this one.

Paul vs Orton - Ya this one was odd. I was almost sure it was going to be Paul vs Owens as they have been building this match for months. I’m wondering if its a triple threat, or if maybe they do Owens vs Paul and Orton gets Paul at a later date. Not sure, but if they go with Orton vs Paul, Ill give you this one as well.

Sami - I believe the plan was Sami vs Drew which has been built up since the Drew heel turn started (with Drew being mad about Jey being on Raw and Sami playing peacekeeper), but Punk getting hurt kind of screwed up everything. My guess is he somehow gets inserted into the Rollins/Drew match as they have been building up his world title chase on Raw since the fall, plus if Rollins is hurt it makes sense to have a triple threat so he can do less.

If you are arguing the build has been bad, I get that as that’s subjective. But I don’t agree at all that there has been no long term story telling as almost every match except like 2 have been a long term story, especially compared to the Vince era and All Out.

1 Like

I didn’t say there had been none but other than Roman vs Cody (which they may still mess up and have done already) I don’t think the others are exciting builds that I can’t wait to see the end too.

I think WM isn’t really about me though. It’s a showpiece event to entice some part time fans back and be enjoyed with a few beers (like the Knocksville Zayn match).

I’d love a story of someone wanting to knock Gunther off his perch or some hot Tag Team feud but WM is less and less the event for that. Last year was unusual with 2 huge mens matches and a huge woman’s event really

1 Like

Ya I hear ya, I think your issue is more so that you haven’t enjoyed the builds opposed to there not being any.

I do think you may get that IC wish, as I really do think Gable is going to be facing Gunther at Mania, then again I could easily be wrong (I haven’t watched Raw yet if there was a shift in direction).

Mania is definitely to a degree aimed at casual fans, so I can see where you are coming from.

No i mean there hasn’t been any builds.

As you stated there is:

• Cody vs Roman (we think)
  • Becky vs Rhea (only confirmed this weekend)
  • Iyo vs Bailey
  • Jimmy vs Jay (this hasn’t been built well at all)

That is very little build for a 2 day event, but yeah it’s not aimed at mainstream fans. Its like the Superbowl and I don’t think us brits get this kind of sporting event which is more about everything surrounding it

I don’t think this is fair - there has been build and the Punk injury derailed a lot of it

Roman vs Cody
IYO vs Bayley
Becky vs Rhea
Jimmy vs Jey
Seth vs Drew as a replacement for Punk - have history

It was supposed to be Punk and Brock with Gunther and Seth which got derailed. They tried. It’s not as bad as you make it sound

1 Like

Agree to disagree. I stated in my post from yesterday about 8 or 9 matches that have had long term build.

Yes Rhea vs Becky was just announced Saturday, but that match has been teased slowly built for almost a year. Like I said, it was built to a point where it was obvious Becky was winning.

You’re obviously allowed to not enjoy the build, that’s preference and you do make valid points, but to say there has been no build is just incorrect.

Yeah should you not expect an injury though…

I think you should be going into your top 2 day event with about 6 big events and few small undercard things you can turn to.

I just thought it felt very underwhelming coming out of EC with the Paul vs Orton and Aj vs Knight teases but John and Wai seemed to like them

I’m gonna be pedantic here but you may have named 9 matches but you admitted 6 of them haven’t had a great build, or you were just guessing they may be the matches so I’m not sure you DID state loads of matches with longterm build.

You have the Longest ever raining IC champions…easy story to tell about whoever wants to de-thrown him.

You have the longest ever (it feels) Money in the bank holder…have a match for that.

You have 2 sets of tag belts…

In my opinion to be now on the final run before WM and you have a Main event which still isn’t 100% clearly confirmed, and 2 womans title matches and Jimmy vs Jey for what purpose?? that isnt great in my humble opinion.

I’m a little confused by your argument. Are you saying that if the match hasn’t been officially announced yet then that equals “bad build”?

Also, where did you get me saying 6 matches were bad builds? I said Paul vs Orton IF that is the match is a bad build at this point, but we are 5 weeks out and it still could be Owens vs Paul which has been built well IMO, and I said LA Knight vs AJ at this point has had little build, but again its 5 weeks out.

The Usos match has been built fine post turn, its the turn I criticized. Even if you count that, that’s only 3.

You said Cody vs Roman - good build (its debatable)
Seth vs Drew - wasn’t the plan
Becky vs Rhea - good build
Iyo vs Bailey - good build
Jimmy vs Jey - awful turn
Gunther vs Gable this is just your assumption
AJ vs Knight - bad build
Paul vs Orton - odd = bad
Sami vs… = bad
= 3 good 6 bad (im using bad as an all encompassing term, i appreciate you didn’t use that word my bad)

I just made a comment that there is little long term story telling going into this years WM.

Of course they didn’t plan for Punk to be injured but how there is no obvious match for KO and Sami who headlined last year. How they’ve just stuck LA Knight into a random match with little build when he’s been he success story of 2023, how they’ve completely ruined Jimmy vs Jey when it was so easy with them 1 and 2 in the rumble just blows my mind.

We know I dislike WWE while you love it so were coming from completely different ends of the spectrum but I think my point is valid. But as I have said for the last few years I always feel like this about Mania. Last year felt like an anomaly with so many decent/good builds.

I wouldnt say “I love it”, I have a lot of issues with WWE. Raw for example takes me at least 3 sittings to get through (and thats while fast forwarding) as it can be exhausting.
It’s funny, on Tik Tok I’m often called an AEW mark because I find on there the WWE hardcores go to town on AEW (that doesnt really happen here), but they are easy to debate because many of them are clearly very low IQ lol. When I feel someone is going too hard at something because they are just trying to push a narrative, yes Ill just push back, and around here that happens to tend to be against WWE, though if you go back a couple years to when bobuz posted and he bashed AEW, I did the same thing. WWE was my promotion of the year in 2023, but Im pretty sure AEW was my promotion of the year in 2022, 2021, and 2020. Point is, Im not a “WWE fan” im not a “AEW fan”, im a wrestling fan.

As far as good vs bad build, I really didnt even specify, my entire original point is that there is a build as I was pushing back to you saying this card is the exact same All Out and there was no build at all. That is the part I dont agree with.