WWE releases Bray Wyatt

100% agree. I remember a while back you and I (at least I think it was you, maybe I’m mixing it up) were discussing tribalism in pro wrestling, and I mentioned how I only really saw it on the AEW side, which on boards like this one tends to be the case. You said something along the lines of “check out social media, there are a ton of WWE blind loyalists out there”…long story short, I’ve been reading a lot of the comment sections in the tik tok wrestling community, and you were 100% right. Its annoying when you see so many fans just blindly rip on AEW and defend WWE.

I believe that being blindly loyal to any particular brand in entertainment is a bad idea and is something I just dont get. Its ok to be a fan of both WWE and AEW, its no different then being a fan of Marvel and DC. At the same time, its ok and if you like one and not the other, but if so, why waste time ripping the one you don’t like? Or even worse, fans who hate one, and watch it with anger just to complain about it. You dont like something, dont watch it. (this isn’t directed at you, I mean in the general sense)

The idea that WWE is purposely feeding talent to AEW is ludicrous. I mean it is wrestling so anything is possible lol, but I would say I’m 99.9999999999% sure that its not true. I think the reason why WWE is not caring anymore is because they have realized that their success will not really be effected by the success of AEW. There is no reason why you can’t have two successful wrestling companies, again I go back to my DC/Marvel comparison.

The only thing I will say, is while I do think there are certain talents AEW should bring in (ie. Andrade, Black, Bryan, Punk etc.) I do hope that AEW stops bringing in so many former WWE guys. Not because they’re “WWE guys” WWE owns nobody and they can go wherever they want, but because for me when I watch AEW I like watching something that feels different. IMO, seeing guys like the Bucks, Omega, Page, Darby, MJF, Sammy, Jungle Boy etc. feels different. Seeing Christian vs Matt Hardy, does not…but thats just me. I dont want to see guys like Braun or Bray being brought in, I like the roster the way it is.

Regardless, I’m going off topic…my point is that its ok to be a fan of both, and I think fans should be more willing to branch out and like you said and, not make the WWE out to be the be all and end all in the wrestling business.

When I got back into wrestling in 2015, after about a decade away, Bray was immediately my favourite thing.

Over time I learned to never have high hopes for his booking, despite always being quite fond of him in the ring, on the mic, and also just as a creative mind.

I’m looking forward to absolutely anything he decides to do outside of WWE. Even if that’s not wrestling, if he just used his creativity in any artform, I’d be really keen to see what he does.

Being freed of the limits of the WWE system is a blessing for him. I hope he sees it that way.

1 Like

I am sensing WWE strategy may be flood the market with the last 5-10 years of WWE guys and the point at the companies who are years behind them as if to say they are really the ones changing the industry and other promotions are taking their leftovers that they creatively pissed away for 5 years (in their argument they’d not admit the creatively wasting talents they say it’s just old performers)

That said, their FUD would hold up IF AEW didn’t remake these characters in their own image. Also on the performers to accept the challenge and not stay their old self. I see this working for some - Black and Miro, but for others out there I’m concerned (Braun, older wwe guys like Hardy, Christian, etc)

1 Like

I do want to take back one thing I said. I said earlier that I have zero desire to see Bray in AEW, but then I read an idea to have Bray take over Dark Order, and with the connection to Brodie (real life and on screen), I think he would be perfect for that. So I change my mind on them signing him.

I still don’t want to see Braun in AEW though.

What happened? 2 years ago, his new gimmick was the talk of the wrestling world, now 2 years later, he’s been released.

Model of restraint and empathy as always…

And now the talk of Adam Cole’s contract expiring… I do not understand this company at all.

2 Likes

Adam Cole just does not make sense on the main roster to me and he’s done everything at NXT so the only logical place for him to go is AEW.

2 Likes

Would agree. He’s tailor made for AEW and they have his GF too. He won’t get a push in WWE. Not even sure they want him anymore

2 Likes

BTE started with Adam Cole; the first story they tried to tell/sell was Code and Kenny. The inevitability of Cole joining his best friends in AEW was obvious and it was a matter of when, not if. Especially when you factor in Baker is going to be the biggest female wrestling star of the entire generation (personal opinion).

Now, that WWE fckd up his contract situation…well some things not even WWE creative can book as good as the real life.

My only concern with Adam Cole in AEW, is where does he slot in? Their roster at this point is truly loaded, and with Bryan and Punk likely coming in, is being the # 7 heel what he wants? Not everyone can be in the main event, and with Omega, The Bucks, Rhodes, Page, Black, Andrade, Christian, Miro, MJF, Sammy, Darby, Punk, Bryan, Mox, Jungle Boy etc. at some point guys are going to get lost in the shuffle. Sure the writing and storytelling in the mid card is great, no denying that, but at least in NXT he will be able to hover around the top of the card for as long as he wants to be there.

As for Raw or SD, that would be my last choice for him, he would 100% be lost in the shuffle and be given a dumb gimmick where he orthodontist or something.

The only downside for me with him staying in NXT is that he has seemed to have wrestled almost everyone at this point…but they can always bring in a new crop of talent which I’m sure they will.

Why does Cole have to immediately go and slot in as a top guy? There is more to life than just being “the best,” especially in the wrestling industry where being “the best” means little more than a prop around your waist.

He can go and work with some of his best friends and his wife, have great matches, make great money, and enjoy his life. There is no shame in this. Frankly it sounds like a dream scenario compared to WWE, where you are either “the guy” constantly, or you get treated like an absolute joke. Strowman went from being “the guy” to getting Nickelodeon slimed on television and released within a month. I don’t even like Braun, but that’s bullshit.

And the best part is, whenever AEW is ready for Cole to step up and be “the guy” for a while (even if that’s five years down the line), he will be ready to go. Until then he can put some guys over and go to work in what has to be a healthier, happier environment than what WWE is offering.

I would see if they can get another guy like Kyle O’Reilly etc. and put them in the Tag division.

You have to remember that a lot of the top guys won’t be top guys in three years or so. Adam Cole is only 32 years old. You have to think that by giving him a couple of years the guys like Daniel Bryan, CM punk, Chris Jericho, Omega etc will no longer be in title picture.

2 Likes

I’ve never met or heard an interview with a wrestler where they have this mind set, its probably a healthier way of approaching things, but have you have met an elite level athlete before? They tend to be wired differently, and are extremely competitive. This mindset is typically only had once you have already been there, done that so to speak. Think Shawn in the late 00’s.

There is always the financial side of it as well, traditionally the higher on the card you are the more you get paid. From a fan perspective, obviously fans don’t care, but money is a factor to a lot of these performers. Look no further then Zalina Vega as an example of that. Also, I don’t get the impression that Cole is unhappy in NXT, he’s not a guy you can really say is used incorrectly. Again, I’m just talking NXT, I do not think he should want to go to the main roster.

1 Like

I will admit, I am a bit bias on Cole. IMO he is the best wrestler in the world right now and I want to see him in the main event scene, and I want him to be the #1 guy wherever he goes. In NXT he kind of has that, on the main roster, I think he can once Vince steps down/passes away/no longer can do it.
In AEW, I dont think he has a chance with how loaded they are.

In theory your idea works, I just feel thats a waste of a guy as good as he is.

AEW feels like a bit of a different breed. You’ve got old-school wrestlers doing the shitty shin kicks with Orange Cassidy and Penta selling for Marco Stunt. You have a real top guy like Adam Page putzing around with the dork jobber crew. Just seems like these guys are wired differently and willing to make certain sacrifices in order to build up the other guys around them and put on a great show. I’m certain part of this willingness is because the bookers have proven that they CAN cook a long term storyline, and you WILL get a chance to redeem yourself, even if it might take a few years to get there.

I also differentiate pro wrestlers from other elite athletes. Maybe I’m wrong for that, but at the end of the day the results are pre-determined and the true GOATs of the industry are recognized because of their talent and renown in-ring, not because of how many championships they won. It’s different with real elite athletes, where the only way to prove yourself is to bring home the rings on the biggest stage and you can’t just rely on Vince booking you to win a whole bunch of two-day championships reigns so you can go down as a 69 time champion or whatever.

Its not the exact same, you’re right, but most performers do still have that mind set. You mention Page, but Page is also being primed to be “the guy” very shortly. AEW is like a new relationship in the honeymoon stage. Everything about the company is about what the future will bring, its all new and exciting, everything is on the up and up, nobody has been lied to yet, everyone is getting along etc etc. While Im not saying they will become WWE as Vince is just crazy, I do think eventually the honeymoon phase ends, and guys start to become restless, guys will feel they are being underused, guys will leave etc. This isnt a bash on AEW at all, I think they are fricken killing it right now, but its just not realistic to think that all these guys will get along and be willing to do whatever forever.

If AEW will bring Cole in and use him like the top performer he is, I’d love to see him in AEW. But I just worry he gets lost in the shuffle.

As to your Vince comment, ya agreed. I’m not saying main roster, he would die a slow death there.

1 Like

AEW hasn’t slotted anyone poorly yet. They feature everyone nicely. Getting more TV time too. Isn’t that the point - every spot should be worth seeing in a show. THIS is what made the 90s great. And no, I don’t care if guys are fighting for the top spot or have a storyline feud. I want good wrestling and hot matchups with banging in-ring.

2 Likes

I don’t necessarily disagree with that. With so many guys coming in, someone is bound to feel disrespected or lost in the shuffle. Maybe the year is 2026 and Jungle Boy still hasn’t had his run with the belt so he says “screw it” and jumps to WWE. But you know what? That is to our benefit. Those matches with a 50 year old R Truth and the rest of the 24/7 division could absolutely tear the house down.

1 Like