Arrowverse on The CW thread

I thought the show was amazing. Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

1 Like

I have a little more time now to write up my thoughts beyond being terrific. Which it absolutely was.

Like @PodFatherSOH I thought it was incredibly well made. The directing and production were terrific. And the score was noticeably better than other generic arrowverse background music. I didn’t think the tones were as muted as a Snyder production and fit well with the challenges and worldbuilding they were doing in the first episode. A funeral. Near death moments. Losing jobs. Smallville going through a depression.

I love how well they brought together all the different parts of the Superman mythos. It feels like both a natural continuation of what has come before (Lois & Clark, Smallville and Supergirl) and a massive step forward by introducing the kids.

I’m looking forward to seeing the kids develop. Jonathan Kent is the best addition to DC comics in the last 20 years. And while his character has been through some unpopular changes in the comics it still worked by showing the unlimited potential for Superman as a Dad stories.

It does feel entirely separated from Supergirl though for better or worse (for better IMO). Melissa Benoist and the cast of Supergirl weren’t even at Ma Kents funeral.

This might be recency bias but I think it was the best first episode of any of the CW DC shows. Right now I think I would rank them:

1. Superman and Lois
  2. Flash
  3. Arrow
  4. Supergirl
  5. Batwoman
  6. Black Lightning
  7. Legends of Tomorrow

What did everyone think of Superman and Lois this week?

I’m enjoying it. I’ve never been a big Superman fan in general, but this version I’m enjoying. I figured last week this new Luthor was going to do with some remnants of Crisis and not Black Superman Kal-El destorying his world.

I continued to enjoy Superman & Lois in the second episode. After saying the first episode was entirely separate to the rest of the Arrowverse the second episode was more connected knowing the villain comes from an alternate earth with an evil superman. The special effects continued to look good.

And each character had a moment. We saw Clark as both Dad & Superman. Lois as tough reporter and mom. Kids as teenagers. As the series continues hopefully the characters continue to grow as well.

The Flash was fucking epic this week. I think the past couple seasons have been pretty tough, definitely not as good as the first 3, but this episode reminded me why I fell in love with the show.

I dont think it is going to happen, but I’d love to see Reverse Flash, Zoom & Savitar return and team with Godspeed, against The Flash Family.

1 Like

The premature cancellation of “Black Lightning” aside, I’m actually looking forward to the future of the DCTV shows.

Flash has been better the last couple seasons (I think season 5 was the series’ low point), Stargirl is great, Batwoman is still a bit clunky, but at least it’s got a better lead, and Naomi looks promising.

I’ve especially been pleasantly surprised by how good Superman & Lois has become. I wasn’t into the first 3 episodes at all, but ever since they came back from their mini-hiatus, they’ve been on fire! Most of my early issues with the show have been corrected, and I could easily see S&L as the center of “Phase II” of the Arrow/Berlanti-verse.

:100:

2 Likes

Character development in Superman & Lois is just so sublime, it’s frightening. This deserved a better network.

Despite the CW’s missteps over the years (and ignoring the complete disaster that has been WB/ATT the past few years), other than HBO Max, I don’t know what network would be the right choice for S&L.

I do think the inherent advantage w/The CW, is that there’s more rope for these shows (especially a Superman show) than at an ABC or NBC. So the show has a longer runway to work out the kinks of the show…But it doesn’t look like they’ll need it, b/c they course-corrected pretty quickly.

:100:

Wow, it looks like the Arrowverse is being put out of its misery. But I thought Legends was underrated, I wish they could’ve had at least one more season to wrap it all up.

2 Likes

It’s not really dead yet. The Flash has been renewed for season 9. And I imagine Superman & Lois gets another season too.

Arrow did start 10 years ago. Over that time the Arrowverse has had seven tv series. 500+ episodes of TV. Millions of diehard fans. Its an incredible achievement. But was probably never meant to last forever. Or even as long as it has.

1 Like

Legends went downhill I thought once they started bringing in all the jobber characters. After season 2, it wasnt the same.

Batwoman I thought had its best season last year and one of the better seasons of any arrowverse show, so it sucks that it gone.

Im really loving this season of The Flash and Superman & Lois, so I hope they stick around. The Deathstorm storyline has been great on The Flash. They could afford to ditch some of the losers like Chester and Alegra though.

The Bizarro story on Superman has been great too, with an excellent episode this week.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that The Flash has gotten better.

I hopped off in the middle of Season 5. Need to watch Superman & Lois as well.

These first two episodes of The Flash this season are well done so far.

I’ll have to get up to speed (pun intended) since it is the last hurrah.

I haven’t watched much of the Arrowverse since the first season of Superman & Lois.

After slowly having its shows come to an end and the reboot of James Gunns DCEU coming it seems like it’s finally coming to an end. It’s had a long long good run.

But on a slight tangent it was interesting watching the Flash movie trailer and thinking “CW Flash already did Flashpoint…”

It’s a Flash story done on many medians, I didn’t enjoy the tv version all that much, the animated Flashpoint Paradox is excellent , and this take looks super interesting to me. But of course I’d suggest the comic/graphic novel above all

Filming completed on the last episode of The Flash today, which brings the Arrowverse to an official close, at least for now.

People like to hate on the CW DC TV shows (way too much) but The Flash season 1 was legitimately one of the best live-action comic book stories ever told.

But, in their best moments, they had inspiring episodes, wish fulfillment moments for anyone who grew up on these characters and never ever suspected we’d get to see any of versions of them play out in live action and some truly tremendous special effects for weekly TV series.

Good, great or bad, for MANY years, The Arrowverse was the best thing DC Comics fans had going for them, so, as someone who grew up on the books and never ever takes for granted getting to see these characters on film and TV, a special thank you to the entire cast and crews of:

-Arrow

-The Flash

-Legends of Tomorrow

-Batwoman

-Superman & Lois

-Black Lightning

-and ESPECIALLY Supergirl

@PodFatherSOH

1 Like

Superman and Lois this season almost has me in tears every episode. This Lois cancer story is tough.

3 Likes

With The Flash series finale tonight on CW, the Arrowverse ends after 10 years, 6 shows and 700 episodes. So bittersweet, this whole universe got me thru my teenage years.

It was a universe full of bad adaptations bad acting, bad CGI, tons of cringe and filler. But it was MY universe full of bad adaptations bad acting, bad CGI, cringe and filler. It was so bad but at the same time so good.