CM Punk addresses Colt Cabana, AEW EVPs and Hangman Adam Page at post-All Out presser

I think it comes down to Punk being bitter and thinking that his babyface run has been damaged by leaks to the media. Not a work at all.

MJF was cheered big time over him in his hometown. I don’t think that was planned but they should just run with it.

All the stuff with Cabana and Page is legit. It all comes down to Khan. He needs to get his house in order. Last night was their worst PPV ever by far. Take a break and let someone else book. The company has been in a creative tail spin since he bought ROH.

And the value of having sources on record to validate stories so the integrity of the publications are not at jeopardy leaving the audience unsure of what is fact or not.

I think great reporting and work should be paid for. I think there is a reason the newspaper model has been eroded as has quality journalism in society.

I think the coverage we see shows more characteristics of First Take or TMZ than classic Journalism. This extends to a large portion of all Media today. I think there is a reason media has shifted to paywalls and I understand the economies of it. Doesn’t mean the quality and editorial controls should be diminished in the name of a business model.

In the end who wins here? The talent being outed as the sources anyway? The reporters credibility? The fan losing belief in the publications or what’s real and not real? Sounds like modern cable news coverage which I wouldn’t suggest be the model for industry standards.

Never argued good work shouldn’t be paid for. Just asked why norms and standards aren’t upheld in an industry where talent is known to go into business for themselves and it’s always had a paranoia about works/shoots amongst its fans and those covering it. You’d think the gatekeepers (reporters) of that kind of industry would be more stringent on what they presented as their work in order to avoid this exact situations. Except it’s a feature not a flaw of the model so I get it.

If a these protected sources won’t come on record to stand by rumor and innuendo they are planting, shouldn’t the journalist question what if anything should then be published into the record?

I get it’s a sensitive topic. And to respond directly, I’ve never heard @johnpollock cite an unnamed source for any original reporting. I regard John as a journalist. So John is my standard in wrestling. When John starts doing it I’ll concede I am wrong about this.

If this crap didn’t happen, I think we’d all be talking about MJF, just like last year after AO we were all talking about Cole, Danielson, bucks /dragons. Outside of Punk diehards, nobody seems to be into this.

I doubt anyone takes the time to read the above but that’s it for me. Enjoy the chaos everyone

I dont think we would be talking about MJF that much. What is there to really talk about? We all pretty much knew it was probably he shows up last night or nothing and he showed up. Last year with Cole and Danielson showing up, people suspected maybe 1 might appear, but not both. It was a big deal. There is never this much discussion after shows, other than when it is something like the Roman/Drew stuff.

I’m not a Punk diehard and I’m into this. I believe it is a shoot. I hope it is a work and I am excited for what can come from that. You have some big potential matches there.

“No comment” to what? Nobody asked a question about Scott Colton. Punk asked the journalist about his improv history, presumably knowing he did improv with Colton, so he could bring it up. He planned to rant about Colton.

1 Like

Ya I know that now……my first comment was after reading what he said (not watching), I assumed he was asked a question about the subject. I guess I gave him too much credit for thinking he didn’t just go off on a random rant after the biggest show of the year lol.

99% of the time athletes say something stupid it’s after a question.

1 Like

It was a fair assumption, tbh

1 Like

But instead we are discussing hangman’s potential immature pettiness or punk’s potential immature pettiness.

I’ll pass if this is modern wrestling storytelling. Just hit someone over the head with a coconut and settle it in the ring.

1 Like

I started this thread disgusted at punk and reaffirming that the guys an idiot and shouldn’t be everyone’s idol…. I finish this thread believing this is all a work and we’re in for a mega storyline :ok_hand:

2 Likes

If it’s a work, then Tony Khan, CM Punk, the EVPs, and more just went scorched earth to infantilize Colt Cabana, without a path for him as a talent to retort. They just painted their entire promotion as a toxic workplace with their top star being a petulant, malicious, and hypocritical person. The other top stars as being gossiping and incompetent. And they antagonized the media that has faithfully covered their product. While the owner sat by and watched all of it happen, making him look like he is not in charge.

If it’s not a Work, then the promotions top star just used the company as a platform to diminish other talents, internal management, and the booking. And it was done after one of the company’s most successful PPV nights.

It’s like a top star, let’s say, Tom Brady, shitting on his team, the coaching staff, teammates, former players, and the sports media in general, in a post-game scrum after a big win on their home field.

How does that make any sense to anyone?

3 Likes

I think it’s absolutely foolish thinking this was all a work. I think a lot of you keep second-guessing it because you don’t want to believe bad things are happening behind the scenes and our favorite wrestlers aren’t getting along. Well, there are, and they’re not getting along.

It’s a real shame Tony Khan didn’t shut down Punk’s tirade when he did, and that this is overshadowing the PPV and the show-closing angle (at least on the internet, as live crowds probably don’t care).

2 Likes

Here’s the bottom line – for the last six months or so since April all we’ve ever talked about is WWE. They are the hotter company, and please don’t tell me the matches better on dynamite etc. And it doesn’t really matter what people on this form think because if you polled people on here you would think more people watch dynamite than RAW and we know that isn’t true.

The eatings are up, their house show attendance is up, their PPV attendance is up, and even the quality of their shows and paper views are up.

All in all they’ve had the buzz - with Triple H coming in, Cody Rhodes debuting etc. WWE has been the hotter wrestling company. AEW, largely because of the injuries, has fallen off.

Now suddenly, it seems like I’m the last 24 hours this is flipped a little bit. AEW suddenly the company we’re all talking about again.

As such, you have to start to wonder whether this is actually good for the company because it gets people talking and watching again

1 Like

Wow – it seems it punk took a swing at Matt Jackson and Ace steel threw a chair and hit him in the eye. Also they grabbed Kenny’s hair.

I just wanna sit back with popcorn and watch what happens.

There’s no way AEW can release Punk – even though he hates WWE if he ever sucked it up now that Vince is gone and went back it would be the death of AEW.

Interesting times. Wouldn’t want to be Tony!

Holy fuck what did I just read. A producer of AEW bit Kenny Omega? If this is all a work and you are intentionally leaking tidbits to the media, how is having the information out there that your former World Champion, one of the most respected guys in the industry, got bit by a producer good for your company?

I guess we will find out if it’s a work or not by if Ace Steel is fired by Wednesday.

1 Like

I hope we get a huge “cookie puss” chant on Wednesday. Just melt Punks mind

It’s a point now, where if it is a work, we’re headed into WCW territory when Goldberg, Nash, and Steiner were feuding. What’s the storyline? The elite and Punk got into a real fight (unlike the fake fighting they do on tv) so now they are going to have a fake fight to play off the real fight. If it’s a work, this is awful.

If this is a shoot, most likely in early 2023 they are going to have to choose between omega and punk. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

2 Likes

I think a lot will be answered about the legitimacy of what happened by Wednesday.

• Any actions to those involved. Specifically Ace Steele. If anybody is taking the easy fall for this if legit, it’s him

• Punk’s portrayal on TV. People were split on him after everything in the last few weeks. People will absolutely be 1000% behind MJF on TV this weekend. Undoubtedly Punk, no matter what, is being booed. How do they present him?

2 Likes