The Fact Checking Thread!!!

OK, just so I know, is a plain vanilla fact check off-topic?

Kinda, yeah…its roots are the “Unofficial John Pollock Fact-Checking Thread” that I started from the LAW days, and listeners would fact-check things they’d heard during episodes of the LAW’s network of shows. @Brad_The_Archivist brought it over to the POST Wrestling side, and he and others have kept things in the same vein here as well, from what I’ve seen this week as I’ve re-engaged with the message board.

Off-topic or general fact-checks or inquiries might be best directed to the POST Wrestling Discord, if I had to make a suggestion.

1 Like

I guess I’ll do it in separate threads.

At the January 18 (19)th edition of Review-A-Raw. John went back to his happy place when dealing with a terrible RAW and discussed the former early 200s’ NBC soap opera, Passions, to which he could not remember the name of Miguel Lopez-Fitzgerald’s cousin who whenever hearing any bad news will die.

The character’s name was Antonio Lopez-Fitzgerald

From Wikipedia:

.*Antonio Lopez-Fitzgerald developed a terminal illness, with symptoms including temporary blindness, and everyone in Harmony conspired to prevent him from learning about Sheridan’s past with Luis, for fear that the shock would kill him. Antonio and Sheridan married, but Sheridan also carried on an affair with Luis. Sheridan gave birth to a son, Marty, who was believed (but never confirmed) to be Luis’. However, Beth Wallace abducted the child and passed him off as her own, leaving Sheridan to believe her own baby had died. Antonio learned the truth about Sheridan’s relationship with Luis. Sheridan’s evil father Alistair Crane manipulated Antonio into putting Sheridan into a mental hospital due to her apparent fixation on “Beth’s” child. Sheridan left Antonio for Luis, and Antonio was presumed dead in an explosion caused by a bomb that Alistair had planted to kill Sheridan, who escaped.

And that’s enough Passions for my lifetime!

2 Likes

During the January 29th, 2021 edition of Rewind-A-Smackdown, during the beginning of the Mary Brown’s discussion, caller Step enlightens John and Wai that Mary Brown’s is a Newfoundland creation. Wai mentions that he didn’t realize it was a Maritimes thing.

I’ll let user POSTmaster clarify the nature of Atlantic Canada…

1 Like

On Rewind-A-Wai #79, John said Kushida had won the Junior Heavyweight Title from Kenny Omega at Wrestle Kingdom 9. This actually happened at Dominion in July 2015. At Wrestle Kingdom 9, Omega won the title from Ryusuke Taguchi, while Kushida was teaming with Alex Shelley in a 4-Way for the Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Titles.

1 Like

During the Robin Hood: Men in Tights edition of upYOURS, the fellas missed a couple of character references to the Prince of Thieves film…

Blinkin is a send-up of Duncan, and Patrick Stewart’s turn as Richard has a Scottish brogue as a nod to Sean Connery, who played Richard in Prince of Thieves.

In the Robin Hood: Men in Tights edition of upYOURS, Brayden identifies Dick Van Patten’s character of the Abbot, and notes that he played the same role as the celebrant at the wedding in Spaceballs, as well.

Dick Van Patten was in Spaceballs, however he played King Roland, not the minister at Princess Vespa’s weddings.

On the Reviews from the 6ix episode covering the 1999 St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, Davie states that Mick Foley eventually lost the WWF title to Triple H.
Davie confused Foley’s second and third reigns. Foley’s title run in question was ended by The Rock in a ladder match the very next night on Raw.

1 Like

On their review of the Elimination Chamber PPV, Wai states that Daniel Bryan had never previously won an elimination chamber match (as far as he knew).
Bryan won a chamber match in 2012, successfully retaining his World Heavyweight Championship, last defeating Santino Marella.

3 Likes

On Episode 6 of Rewand-A-Vision, WH states that Agatha Harkness has Connecticut license plates and Connecticut was the site of the Salem Witch Trials.
While there is a Salem in Connecticut, it was actually Salem, Massachusetts, where the infamous late-17th century witch trials occurred.

3 Likes

Bryan defended his title in an Elimination Chamber match in 2019 as well I believe.

2 Likes

That is also correct!

2 Likes

On the February 24th edition of "Rewind-A-Dynamite. John was comparing Rey Fenix’s dive over Jake Roberts to Lance Archer to Evil Knievel’s famous Canyon Jump, but John wasn’t 100% sure on the correct name.

John is correct.

On September 8th, 1974, famous daredevil Evel Knievel climbed into a steam-powered rocket and attempted to blast across Idaho’s Snake River Canyon.

SPOILER: He didn’t clear the canyon!

1 Like

Wai said the Olsen Twins are now “fashion designers or something.”

To be clear, what these girls have created isn’t your run of the mill clothing line — it is a lifestyle brand.

5 Likes

@johnpollock fact checked himself twice in the review a wai of NXT R-Evolution. He confused December 2014 with 2015. Impressive save. I love Post Wrestling :heart:

4 Likes

On yesterday’s Rewind-A-Raw (3/1/21), John and Wai were curious where Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi happened. They thought the Manhattan Center, then the New Yorker Hotel, with John thinking they had to relocate there.

Joe vs. Kobashi indeed happened at the New Yorker Hotel. It was October 2005, and so far that was ROH’s main home in Manhattan, after running there in May and July (and once at a place called The Supper Club in June, during the weekend of the first One Night Stand). They didn’t get to the Manhattan Center until September 2006 for Glory By Honor V: Night 2 (cue John’s Gabe impression).

3 Likes

On the Night one WrestleMania podcast John questioned why Steve Austin would do a promo for WrestleMania 38 since he’s so far removed from the current roster and compared it if Bruno Sammartino did a promo for WrestleMania 14 back in 1998. What John forgot was the classic promo for WrestleMania 14 that Freddie Blassie did with other Hall of Famers for that show and how well it was received

4 Likes

*WrestleMania 15, you fact-checker.

My point remains, Blassie and the legends were not your pitchmen for the promotional material to sell the show. They were used for an opening video package for nostalgia. The entire focus of that video what the message from the legends that “our time was then” and focusing on the stars of today that the legends now watch - tonally very different.

It’s not that I disagree, if Austin is there, use him. But is does underscore that when they need to do a big number on TV, or center its marketing around something big, the more valuable option is a star that has not wrestled in 18 years.

5 Likes