The Fact Checking Thread!!!

We’ve been waiting for your arrival.

1 Like

On the latest Rewind-a-SmackDown John called Mark Andrews stunner the Slumdog Millionaire. It may just have been a slip of the tongue and Vic Joseph did the same thing on 205 Live as well, but the move is called the Stundog Millionaire.

Battle At The Royal Albert Hall

John talks about when Bulldog “challenged Shawn Michaels for the European Title” at One Night Only in 1997. Bulldog was the champion going in, and lost the title to Michaels there.

In the Battle At The Royal Albert Hall review the guys talk about pronouncing the names of moves and fighters correctly and John says “everyone should be binary and identified by numbers” to make it simpler. He then calls The British Bulldog and Barbarian “4562” and “9124” but these are just numerical values not binary values. Binary is only made up of ones and zeros.

4 Likes

John incorrectly says that PCO vs WALTER is the second match annoucement for Joey Janela’s Spring Break.

It’s actually the third; the second match was announced last week as David Starr vs Mike Quackenbush, which also has an excellent short video package to set it up;

Re. Ask-A-Wai (March 2018) > Question from Josip_Kozina

The stadium in question is the Melbourne Cricket Ground which has a capacity of 100,024, which could be increase as the ring would be on the playing surface and seating would be on the playing surface like with WrestleMania in the USA.

The Herald Sun (the major Melbourne Newspaper) just reported in the last hour that the date is set to be the week after the AFL Grand Final (Saturday, September 29), with it to air on Pay-Per-View. They go on to report that Visit Victoria is expected to sign the contract shortly and that an announcement on the Australian show is due at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans on April 8.

You can read the full Sunday Herald Sun story here:
Sunday Herald Sun: WWE wrestling blockbuster set for MCG after Grand Final

Fox Sports Australia have also posted a story on the rumour, which you can read here:
MCG to host a WWE pro wrestling pay per view event in early October 2018

3 Likes

On the latest Review A Wai John stated that Donald Trump had appeared on camera at five Wrestlemanias, in fact he has appeared at six(4,5,7,20,23 & 29)

1 Like

Glad you bumped this as it’s reminded me about John using Topé Con Hilo instead of Topé Con Giro.

The correct pronnouncation is Giro; It was mistranslated to Hilo in Japan and became the de-facto standard. In Spanish, ‘Giro’ means turn. ‘Hilo’ makes no sense since hilo in Spanish means ‘thread’.

How do you pronounce “giro”?

From what I remember, the best way I can describe it is as ‘hero’, but with a sharper emphasis on the E and a roll on the R.

(I took Spanish at school, and being a young wrestling fan, did my oral exam about wrestling because of course I did. I still cringe about it to this day, talking about Rey Mysterio in front of an official examiner).

I might be wrong but that’s how I’ve heard John say it for some time now.

Huh, I thought the conversation ended with John saying he’s siding with ‘Hilo’. It was a while ago now though, I can’t even remember on what episode it was brought up, so I could be wrong. The subject has always interested me though.

On the March 14 2018 edition of Rewind-a-Smackdown, John thanks Wai for spending the first 55 minutes of his 34th year with him. John must have attended the WWE school of year counting, because if Wai just turned 34, he’s spent the first 55 minutes of his 35th year with John.

I bet some of you actually look forward to the shows, just to listen for mistakes, so you can come on here and be the first to post them.

1 Like

I appreciate the guys can take constructive criticism and laugh at themselves. I’ve stopped listening to some other podcasts that have inaccuracies that aren’t corrected. I hate it when people covering the industry know less than me who is just a fan. This group usually brings up minor errors. We’re all human, why not laugh at it.

On a recent podcast John used the “hiro” pronunciation you suggested.

1 Like

Rewind a RAW March 20th

John and Wai didn’t think any champions changed brand at last year’s Superstar Shake Up. Dean Ambrose took the IC Title to RAW, and Kevin Owens took the US Title to SmackDown.

2 Likes

On the POST ROUNDTABLE #3 show, upNXT’s own Brayden said ‘look at last year (Lesnar) wrestled Goldberg in like a 10 min. match’.

Although it may have seemed that long coming off their 2016 Survivor Series match at 1 minute and 26 seconds, their match last year (at WrestleMania 33) was only 4 minutes and 45 seconds.

On a recent episode, Wai said the word “archetypical” a few times to describe a wrestler.

I believe he was trying to say either "archetypal " or “stereotypical” and merged both words into one. I don’t believe “archetypical” is a real word but it made sense within the context of the conversation at least.

My English major sense is always on when listening to podcasts :slight_smile:

1 Like